Questions on toe braking, views and takeoff from a newbie

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
jack72
Airman

Questions on toe braking, views and takeoff from a newbie

Post by jack72 »

First time tried this sim and really looking forward to get through may own training regiment before I try and dogfight...but I have,,
Three quick questions.

Question 1
I have CH pro throttle, fighterstick and peddals. Has anyone been able to program the toe brake to be activate progressivly on the left or right brake for turning while taxiing, or using both brakes for stopping.

Question 2
When I get in the cockpit, the view seems to close, can I adjust this so that I am sitting a bit further back. I have trackerIR (latest version) I find if I move my head to look outside the plane, it slants sideways.

Question 3 (not really a question, but advise needed).
I have a lot of problems in taking off. (hurricane, spitfire,,have not tried the me109) I have the torque turned off, apply rudder left or right as needed but still as I slowly raise the throttle I weave left and right and then spin. If I do take off it is usually not from the runway but by any direction I just happen to lift from,,just not on the runway.

Hylander_1715
Technical Sergeant

Re: Questions on toe braking, views and takeoff from a newbie

Post by Hylander_1715 »

Jack72,

Can't answer no.1

No.2 Use the "CTRL + - " keys to zoom out in the cockpit. The minus key is on the keypad, not the one by the backspace key.

No 3,

When you start out, like you're doing slowly increase the throttle, I always have full right rudder deflection and ease off as you build up speed. Once you are up to speed, you only need small input of rudder, but you may need to use aileron to keep from wanting to roll to the left, or right until you have left the ground, and get your gear up. Once you are up, and have your gear up, the flight characteristics improve. It's a lot more stable above 130 mph.
Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Prem. SP1
nForce 780i mobo
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU QX9650 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
FSB 1333
8096MB OCZ SLI Ready RAM
DirectX 10
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 x 2 in SLi
Realtek HD Audio 7.1

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

We have players who have done the toe break thingie on the CH peddals. Sorry but I am just a coder and have never done it on my CH peddals.

Maybe one of the CH guys will be along to help you out (I think they use the CH software to do it).
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

jack72 wrote:First time tried this sim and really looking forward to get through may own training regiment before I try and dogfight...but I have,,
Three quick questions.

Question 1
I have CH pro throttle, fighterstick and peddals. Has anyone been able to program the toe brake to be activate progressivly on the left or right brake for turning while taxiing, or using both brakes for stopping.

Question 2
When I get in the cockpit, the view seems to close, can I adjust this so that I am sitting a bit further back. I have trackerIR (latest version) I find if I move my head to look outside the plane, it slants sideways.

Question 3 (not really a question, but advise needed).
I have a lot of problems in taking off. (hurricane, spitfire,,have not tried the me109) I have the torque turned off, apply rudder left or right as needed but still as I slowly raise the throttle I weave left and right and then spin. If I do take off it is usually not from the runway but by any direction I just happen to lift from,,just not on the runway.
Question1, sorry i dont have that joystick
Question 2, You can alter the views/zoom parameters in the views menu.
Page 61 onwards of the manual explains the field of view. :)
Question 3, I feel it is just a matter of practice,small movements and compensation as you go along.Trimming the rudder or pitch may help,i trim elevator nose up slightly to help her lift off.
It really is a sim you learn in time which has kept it so fresh,you can never relax too much,you get better with practice,practice,practice :)
Have fun and you will find the forums and members here 2nd to non for help,have fun :D

jack72
Airman

Post by jack72 »

thanks,,I know,,just practice,,practice,,,practice....

I have put the question on CHforum so hopefully someone will answer soon..

If anyone knows somebody on this site,,please have them pm me...greatly appreciated.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Jack,

Here is a link with a solution by Dumbo_AK32nd:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 21#p112021

Hope it helps..........
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Actually, to be a little pedantic, the RAF types did not have toe brakes. US aircraft tended to have them, not RAF.
As it happens, I have jammed a plastic Lego brick under the tipping part of my CH pedals to *stop* them tipping. ;)

The RAF fighters had a hand grip to activate both brakes and then differential pressure linked to the rudder position. So I tend to use the keyboard, but that's a personal preference only, I guess.

The field of view settings are invaluable.

And taking off is all about *progressive* application of power. Take your time. You don't need full power until your plane is already lightening up under airflow.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

jack72
Airman

Post by jack72 »

Thanks,,,
I was hoping for the toe brakes to be a bit more progressive...but it will do. Of course,,now my problem is landing....

I got the views straigtened out.

I now can take-off fairly easily...Landing is ok..but I seem to come in to fast...I land, bounce a few times and then flip when trying to brake.

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

The RAF types are very easy to nose over, as in R/L. Stick right back and dab the brakes.

And never land above 75 mph or you're in trouble. Closer to 70 mph is better. You barely need the brakes then.

Try practising in the sky, just as real pilots did- landing on a cloud is great practise.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

jack72 wrote: I now can take-off fairly easily...Landing is ok..
Good.
but I seem to come in to fast...
That happens very easily, yes.
BTW, if you use the IA "landing" to train, do a 360 first.
and then flip when trying to brake.
In RL, at least on the German side., you would brake very little if at all. For example the WWII Ju87 manual explicitely tells to only use brakes when really needed (IOW when there is the danger to roll into something).

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”