What is the best force feedback Joystick?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
offwatch
Airman

What is the best force feedback Joystick?

Post by offwatch »

After having purchased a force feed back wheel for my son and experiencing the difference that it made in driving sims, I have wondered if a force feed back joystick would improve my flight experience?

Who uses FF Joysticks? are they something that you couldnt do with out or just a novelty?

Which are the best?

borton
BDG

Re: What is the best force feedback Joystick?

Post by borton »

I used to use a FF joystick (MS SW FF2) but now use a Simcontrol configuration which has no force-feed effect.

I was advised some time ago, by a real pilot, that you do not feel vibrations through your hand! :wink:

I flirted for a while with a Buttkicker attached to my chair but found those effects very effective but somewhat disconcerting. The Buttkicker is now gathering dust under one of my worktops.

I sometimes use the MSSWFF2 on my "office" computer but now always with the FF switched off. I find flying this way much more comfortable.

Deathwing
Staff Sergeant

Post by Deathwing »

Each to their own! :) Personally I love my MS SW FF2, the 'feel' I think enables me to actually fly better, it does give a sense of the stresses you're putting the airframe through.
Feeling the ailerons stiffen in high speed manouevres adds to the realism for me. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of users here fly with force feedback, but I may be wrong.
As for joystick vs. joystick others are better placed to comment, I bought the SW FF2 fairly recently and am more than happy with it.
AMD PII X4 955 3.2GHz BE, 8G DDR2, ATI 4890, Vista64, 24" Iiyama 1920x1080, MS FF SW2.

spitfireace
BDG

Post by spitfireace »

Hi mate,

I use a Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner force feedback, which is actually a hotas too. Quite good and goes really cheap now, have had it for some time now and still works fine. I think is the same Bader uses. All i need now is a new TIR4 since it mysteriously broke down a while ago !
Cheers,

Spitfireace

I treasure a remark i made to my grandson who asked "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No" i answered, "But i served in a company of heroes"

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

Wouldn't be without my MS Sidewinder FF2, no longer in production but available on eBay.
Barry

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI; Core2 Extreme QX6850(3GHz, 1333MHz FSB); 2xNVIDIA 8800 Ultra 768MB SLI; 2GB RAM PC6400 DDR2/800; Vista SP2; DX10; TIR5; mod MSFF2; Saitek Pro Flight - Quadrant, Pedals & Headset; TFS2; VAC; Dell 30"(2560x1600@60 hz)

BoxMike
Senior Airman

Post by BoxMike »

I have also MS SW FF2 but have no experience of other FF sticks.
Since MS discontinued the product, drivers for XP(original CD would not work) may prove hard to find; for Vista behavior I would not have a clue.
But, as ignorant to other brands, I like the MS and response from the edge of flight envelopes.

Rgds,
- box

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

I would approve the msffb2 is a brilliant joystick,and long lasting,its just a pity MS stopped making them,the only drawback,is,MS didnt put enough buttons on the stick.
I have 3 of them,but i do use winxp pro,and i dont think they work in vista,as there is no drivers for them.
I have a new Saitek Evo Cyborg ffb stick,but dont use it,as it doesnt come anywhere near the MSffb2,its not as reliable.
If anybody doesnt have the drivers for their msffb2,i have the cd drivers,and software,let me know,and i will send them to you.
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

It's true the Sidewinder programming software doesn't work in Vista but you can programme the buttons from the BoB Options - Controls/Custom menu. BoB will recognise the buttons just the same as any other input from the keyboard; I have the throttle and twist functions set as my trim controls and got BoB to recognise these as above. Vista has it's own driver for the joystick and control and FF work fine. Device Manager recognises the stick and shows it as the MS SW FF2.

If you want buttons, as opposed to finding the right keypresses on the keyboard (not always easy in the thick of a fight), I can recommend the Saitek Gamer's keboard which has a 9-button, programmable keypad, separate to the keyboard.
Barry

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI; Core2 Extreme QX6850(3GHz, 1333MHz FSB); 2xNVIDIA 8800 Ultra 768MB SLI; 2GB RAM PC6400 DDR2/800; Vista SP2; DX10; TIR5; mod MSFF2; Saitek Pro Flight - Quadrant, Pedals & Headset; TFS2; VAC; Dell 30"(2560x1600@60 hz)

Seafireliv
BDG

Post by Seafireliv »

For me BOB uses the Sidewinder FF stick effects best of any sim I`ve played, especially with stiffening effects in a dive. I notice forces that just don`t seem to get used in IL2 for some reason.

"Let him who desires peace, prepare for war"

quoted by some veggy guy.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”