new reply
Whirlybird
Senior Airman

Honour tournament. Round 1 details...

Post by Whirlybird »

Marine declared winner of round 1!

Round 2 thread here: http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=13734

HOW THE HONOUR TOURNAMENT WORKS

Everyone flies the same mission. You take a screen shot of your pilot log after the mission to verify your kills. If you are still alive, you progress to the next mission. The winner is the ace with the most kills after five missions, or if no one survives the full five missions, the ace with the most kills as of the most recent mission.

RULES (this is where the honour code comes in)

RAF or Luftwaffe: either side allowed, but flyable aircraft only, no bombers. Stukas are perfectly OK, if you are a masochist.

Full realistic flight model, no novice settings (ie target box, large target size, engine boost, ammo boost, no Ctrl R reloads)

Dead is dead, crash is dead and bailout is dead; you have to survive and successfully land at an airfield to progress. Alt X only permitted when you come to a full stop next to a hangar OR for LW, a field tent or pen. If you get strafed on the landing field, you are dead. If you crash while landing, you are dead. Landing at nearest available airfield permitted, you do not need to land at your home field.

Padlocking and TrackIR allowed

You are allowed to fly the mission twice and enter your best result. But only twice!

First Mission: August 13 Eagle Day

Which strategy will you adopt?! Go for the most kills, or just try to stay alive with a couple of kills and hope that everyone else ends in that great ready room in the sky? Get a lot of kills early and then concentrate on staying alive? Or hope that the next mission is easier and just try to stay alive for the first mission?

Anyone up for it? Just sign on below, fly your mission and then submit your result. If you fly and die, submit your result anyway, we can all drink to your sacrifice! Next mission will be announced Friday March 13 for those who survive the first mission.

PS Whirly's tournament, Whirly's decision final! Personally this rookie doesn't expect to last beyond mission 1, so that will make me an impartial judge!

PPS If you are cocky and want to submit screenshots of your kills, go right ahead...just hope there isn't an Emil on your tail while you are trying to frame that victory shot!

Who is the BOB2 Ace of Aces?

Round 1 missions:
1. IA>Historical>Aug 13 Eagle Day

2: Instant Action>Dogfighting

RAF pilots fly Luftwaffe advantage
LW pilots fly RAF advantage

3. IA>Interceptions>Frontal attack against bombers.
Only BOMBER KILLS count for this mission
BDG.txt must be set to Do_You_Want_Increase_Firing_Rate_Of_Hand_Held_Gunners=ON

TOURNAMENT ROUND 1 WINNER MARINE

Marine: Missions three - 3, 2, 1 total 6
Bader: Missions three - kills 2,2,0 total 4
Dumbo Ak32nd: Dead - 2,1,- total 3
Whirlybird: Dead - kills 2,1,- DEAD total 3
Baza: Dead - 2 kills
Deathwing: Dead - kills 1,1,- total 2
Scoobared: Dead - kills 0,2,- total 2

Last edited by Whirlybird on 29 Mar 2009, 19:48, edited 36 times in total.
BOB2 Aces mission package (24 missions)
and Alan Deere mission package (14 missions)

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 1&start=15

Whirlybird
Senior Airman

Re: Honour tournament anyone? Mission 1 August 13 Eagle Day.

Post by Whirlybird »

Example (I flew this on novice flight model so I could get the shots) - first attempt out of two and not a resounding success. Still got one 'life' left, I think discretion is the better part of valour for this pilot!

Second and final attempt...miracle of miracles...two kills and home safely.

Whirly actually makes it to mission 2 (hypothetically)! Except this is just an example, not the real thing. Sigh. I just know I'm gonna die. Someone take care of my dog when I don't come home, OK?

Some screenies

The cavalry arrives!

He's going in

Safe home

Last edited by Whirlybird on 10 Mar 2009, 06:27, edited 2 times in total.

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Love it. Will give it a try from the RAF perspective asap.

I am assuming that you actually have to land cleanly at home too.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

I might be being a bit thick here but where are the missions being flown from - IA, SPC, etc?
Barry

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI; Core2 Extreme QX6850(3GHz, 1333MHz FSB); 2xNVIDIA 8800 Ultra 768MB SLI; 2GB RAM PC6400 DDR2/800; Vista SP2; DX10; TIR5; mod MSFF2; Saitek Pro Flight - Quadrant, Pedals & Headset; TFS2; VAC; Dell 30"(2560x1600@60 hz)

Whirlybird
Senior Airman

Post by Whirlybird »

Bader - you can land at any RAF airfield, just land successfully and hold next to a hangar to complete the mission. For the Luftwaffe any field tent is fine. If you are destroyed while taxiing or crash while landing, you are out.

Baz - sorry should have been clear, Instant Action>Historical>August 13 Eagle Day is the first mission. The report in the screens above is the one you see when you Alt-X out of an instant action mission. It lists the total kills of each type under 'enemy casualties', with your own confirmed kills listed first. EG if you got 1 Spit and 2 Hurricanes, and a total of 12 Spits and 20 Hurricanes were destroyed, you will see 1/12 Spitfire and 2/20 Hurricanes.

To help you post your after action report, you can enter your own mission notes in the field underneath the statistics as I did in the example above. Then do a screen capture, convert to jpeg and post on a site like Photobucket. If you don't want to do all that (!) you can just note down your result and tell us what it was - this is, after all, an honour tournament; we trust you! But pls use the official result from the Combat Report screen, because this is the result the other players will be using. You may for example think you got 3 kills and the screen only shows 2 - perhaps your kill was vulched by another aircraft, or perhaps that terminal spin he was in was not so terminal after all...

WB
Last edited by Whirlybird on 09 Mar 2009, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Deathwing
Staff Sergeant

Post by Deathwing »

OK... here's my humble (second) effort... a grand total of 1 Bf 110. Was quite spectacular though! :)

Time for a spot of sightseeing on the way home:

Home safe and sound:

First time out resulted in an air to air collision, only saw him for a split second beforehand and didn't half jump! :lol:

Thanks Whirly, cool concept and fun!
AMD PII X4 955 3.2GHz BE, 8G DDR2, ATI 4890, Vista64, 24" Iiyama 1920x1080, MS FF SW2.

Whirlybird
Senior Airman

Post by Whirlybird »

Well done DW! I'll post mission 2 Friday for those who make it through. Interesting that you chose to dogfight rather than avoid them and go for the big fat feckers and try to bring down an easy bomber or two...

HINT: The next mission will test your ability to survive pure fighter vs fighter encounters. Suggest you practice these.

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

What are we doing about skill modifiers - are we leaving them at the default setting for each mission or can we set them ourselves?

I think we need to agree a standard.
Barry

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI; Core2 Extreme QX6850(3GHz, 1333MHz FSB); 2xNVIDIA 8800 Ultra 768MB SLI; 2GB RAM PC6400 DDR2/800; Vista SP2; DX10; TIR5; mod MSFF2; Saitek Pro Flight - Quadrant, Pedals & Headset; TFS2; VAC; Dell 30"(2560x1600@60 hz)

Whirlybird
Senior Airman

Post by Whirlybird »

Agree, default for skill modifyers. Good luck up there, I am going to try my own luck now.

Whirlybird
Senior Airman

Post by Whirlybird »

OK, I suck at realistic flight model. But you aren't going to believe

a) I made it through the mission alive

b) I got two kills, IN A STUKA!

My first mission I tried to fly the Spit. 152 Squadron over Southampton. I managed one pass at a Ju88 but I tried a little rudder and the nose swung all over the sky... I got it under control again as a 110 went past so I tried to get on his tail. He went into a tight turn and I tried to follow and I put it into a fatal spin and that was the end of Whirly's Spit mission...sigh.

I figured I would have no hope in a fighter in realistic mode, so I tried driving a truck. I picked a Stuka. Now, that, I can drive on full realism! This was my plan for getting through to the next round

1. ditch bomb

2. flee

3. flee some more

4. land at French field and change underwear

Would you believe I was still getting the hang of the controls when a Spit roared over my head and started to climb away. I pulled up the nose and gave it a long squirt and he went down! I was so freaked I just ran for it but I had another Spit on my tail and this is the funniest. I was hugging the ground, weaving away. My gunner took a couple of shots which kept him off our six but he stayed with us and then the gunner put one into his engine and he started smoking. Next thing he dived into the turf!

I thought, "That can't have been me, he must have been hit by a 110" but the combat report gives me 2 Spits!

I made it back to Lommiers or some such just as the sun was setting. Another great thing about the Stuka for newbs like me, you can't forget to put the wheels down!

Take that Tommies! All hail the mighty (big, slow, stable) Stuka with guns that shoot backwards! Whirly lives to fight another day...

I love this game! Unfortunately there will be no Stuka in the next mission so I have to go and get some flight time in the Emil before the next mission. Try to fly in a tight circle without spinning out, try to line up a target using the rudder without yawing like a maniacal horizontal yoyo...

Note to BDG: PS something is wrong with the IA Mission for 13 August. Sometimes the combat report says 7 Sept.

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

Flew my first sortie the RAF today - got 1 ME110 (swear it was two but my bloody wingman must have got the last burst into the second one - the oik, I'll have words!).

I managed to get screenshots of me after landing but unfortunately, my attempt to get a screenie of the report failed. I pressed Prt Sc (twice) but no result when I checked the STILLS folder. I take it that Prt Sc should give me a screenshot of the report?
Barry

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Baza wrote:
I managed to get screenshots of me after landing but unfortunately, my attempt to get a screenie of the report failed. I pressed Prt Sc (twice) but no result when I checked the STILLS folder. I take it that Prt Sc should give me a screenshot of the report?

Unfortunately not. You hit the Prt Sc key and this then puts it onto your clipboad. You then need to exit BoBII, open Microsoft paint (or some other prog) and Cntrl-V (Paste) the screen into that. You can then save it as a jpg.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Number 238 Squadron Green leader.

1 1/2 kills on the first sortie, landed at Warmwell.

Plenty of targets, bombers leading.

Rather a lot of these stinkers, though.

Shared kill with a Spit.
Safely back.

Second time around, just 1 kill. But safely back and a very good result for the RAF.
Last edited by Bader on 10 Mar 2009, 17:26, edited 4 times in total.

GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

Thanks, Paul - fortunately I hadn't shut the computer down and was able to go back and paste the image into Paint.

Got one more try at this mission - I'll have a little talk to my squadron about poaching before take off (for all the good it will do, they're all a bit gung-ho).
Barry

scoobared
BDG

Post by scoobared »

Two quick questions, Whirlybird:

Must the player fly as leader?

Bailing out is dead?!? What if you land near a pub or one of those pretty WAAF's on a bicycle? :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”