Do you want a BoBII Multiplayer Option?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
redbear
Airman

Re: Do you want a BoBII Multiplayer Option?

Post by redbear »

:D :D :D :D I asked this question some ago It is nice that some guys are taking this to do the job. Thanks.

By the way it is possible for you guy ( I know that you are only two) to make it compative with hyperlobby i think it would be easy for us to join there.

Thanks!

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

redbear wrote::D :D :D :D I asked this question some ago It is nice that some guys are taking this to do the job. Thanks.

By the way it is possible for you guy ( I know that you are only two) to make it compative with hyperlobby i think it would be easy for us to join there.

Thanks!
Maybe we can look at it if we get all the bugs killed and the BOBII MP game is very stable. I have no idea if BOBII meets hyperlobby's requirements or if hyperlobby would be interested in BOBII. Anyway it is a long road ahead before we cross that bridge.

We can play for hours now but we still have a few show stopper issues in all MP games, IMHO.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Grey357
Airman Basic

Post by Grey357 »

I think that really good MP is a smart strategic move for the product. That said, I have no personal interest in MP, and would hate to see the single-player aspects of the product suffer or stagnate because the focus had become satisfying on-line gamers at the expense of the rest of us.

I got BoBII because I enjoy flying and military history, and always felt like I should have been born to an earlier generation. I'm a flier first, and a gamer second. I do no on-line gaming of any kind. I have no other game systems in my house. I bought BoBII because it was more than a shoot'em up, and had gone to extraordinary lengths for the individual player. I've had other sims, and watched the single-player mode ignored while announcement after announcement came out about enhancements to on-line play. I've watched software vendors come up with fees and memberships/clubs for on-line play to enhance revenue, restricting play for those who choose not to pay for 'premium' membership.

I have nothing against MP or those who want to engage in MP sessions or campaigns. It sounds like fun, if I had the time and interest. But I would hate to see BobII adopt MP at the expense of the single, off-line player.

ETA: ...and with all due respect, BoBII is much more than a Combat sim, although combat is an important dimension.

alexcraig
BDG

Post by alexcraig »

Grey357 wrote:I think that really good MP is a smart strategic move for the product. That said, I have no personal interest in MP, and would hate to see the single-player aspects of the product suffer or stagnate because the focus had become satisfying on-line gamers at the expense of the rest of us.

I got BoBII because I enjoy flying and military history, and always felt like I should have been born to an earlier generation. I'm a flier first, and a gamer second. I do no on-line gaming of any kind. I have no other game systems in my house. I bought BoBII because it was more than a shoot'em up, and had gone to extraordinary lengths for the individual player. I've had other sims, and watched the single-player mode ignored while announcement after announcement came out about enhancements to on-line play. I've watched software vendors come up with fees and memberships/clubs for on-line play to enhance revenue, restricting play for those who choose not to pay for 'premium' membership.

I have nothing against MP or those who want to engage in MP sessions or campaigns. It sounds like fun, if I had the time and interest. But I would hate to see BobII adopt MP at the expense of the single, off-line player.

ETA: ...and with all due respect, BoBII is much more than a Combat sim, although combat is an important dimension.
Morning Sir,

While I have become one of the primary Multi-Player enthusiasts, FWIW, I agree with every iota of the content of your post, the content of which I believe to be more than passingly thoughtful.

Futher, I believe you can rest easy, as the integrity of Stand Alone play is never far from our minds.

Lastlly, and again FWIW, you might find yourself somewhat surprised at how much of the tactical planning/execution elements of the BoB2 Campaign can be brought into play in MP given a bit of creativity with a like-minded set of MP flyers. ;)
Alex Craig

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
ASUS Maximum IX Extreme
Intel Core 7 I7700 Extreme OC'd @ 4.8 GHz
"FrozenCPU" Custom Water Cooling
16 Gig G.Skill Trident Z Series DDR4 3200 RAM
ASUS 1080ti Video Card
EVGA SuperNOVA1200 P2 PSU

rhinomonkey
Senior Airman

Post by rhinomonkey »

Hi There,

When is the next MP session and how do i get involved?

alexcraig
BDG

Post by alexcraig »

rhinomonkey wrote:Hi There,

When is the next MP session and how do i get involved?
Good day ....

I can host a session at noon today for a couple of hours.

Assuming you have a working microphone, give me a shout on Skype at alexcraig5555 to get set up.

A free copy can be downloaded at http://www.skype.com/. Internet calls & a built-in IM & file transfer client are also free.

I can also be available on/off for the bulk of the day and will certainly be hosting from 1900 hours on until midnight Eastern Daylight time with breaks here & there to water the dogs. ;-)
Alex Craig

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
ASUS Maximum IX Extreme
ASUS 1080ti Video Card

rhinomonkey
Senior Airman

Post by rhinomonkey »

Hi There,

I'm in the Uk GMT what time zone are you in? I at work at the moment but will be home in about 1.5 hours will you be hosting then? If so i will skype you!

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

"Eastern Daylight" - Eastern Standard is Greenwich - 5, not sure which way the Daylight shifts that if you guys aren't on Daylight yet... Greenwich - 6 if I have it right way round...

inferno493
Airman First Class

Post by inferno493 »

I'm available all day today and tomorrow (unless I have to do some work, but that is somewhat infrequent due to the nature of my job), but I still have to get the MP software setup. I'm GMT -7.
Ooh, ooh, I'm flying a hurricane. It's a sh*t plane, I'm rubbish and my mum goes chippy in her slippers.

alexcraig
BDG

Post by alexcraig »

PV wrote:"Eastern Daylight" - Eastern Standard is Greenwich - 5, not sure which way the Daylight shifts that if you guys aren't on Daylight yet... Greenwich - 6 if I have it right way round...
Hmmmm .... for some reason I stopped receiving email notifications re: new posts on this thread.

Eastern Daylight Time is 4 hours behind GMT until you folks go on Daylight Savings Time. Inasmuch as you'll be "springing forward", you will then, once again be 5 hours ahead of us.

PV, you really need to join in the MP fun! ;)
Alex Craig

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
ASUS Maximum IX Extreme
ASUS 1080ti Video Card

Johan EAF274
Airman First Class

Post by Johan EAF274 »

If it can be done, then I am all for including MP. But I would never use it :P

I think if MP is to be included, you'll also need a user-friendly mission builder. Flying the quick/historical missions is fun, but only for so long... And pretty soon people will want to fly different scenarios with specific setups for their squad meetings.

As for why I don't fly MP: I used to play it, but I never really enjoyed the competition-driven atmosphere (this includes coop squad wars). But that's personal of course :)
Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?

ben
BDG & A2A

Post by ben »

Johan
I understand what you are saying. But the fun I got from MP was missions that were really co-operative - the object being to keep your online mates alive, watching each others tails - rather than seeing who could shoot down the most enemies. Every one getting back to base safely was the 'true' objective'. And great fun!
attitude: inverted dive.
altitude: zero feet.
outlook: Well, lets look on the bright side shall we?

[RS]Wedge
Airman Basic

Post by [RS]Wedge »

If Multiplayer can be acheived in a timely fashion (summer release) along with dedicated server files then I vote yes! Then the United Squadrons League could get a competition up and running for all squads to participate in.

www.uslglobal.com

alexcraig
BDG

Post by alexcraig »

ben wrote:Johan
I understand what you are saying. But the fun I got from MP was missions that were really co-operative - the object being to keep your online mates alive, watching each others tails - rather than seeing who could shoot down the most enemies. Every one getting back to base safely was the 'true' objective'. And great fun!
Amen!

While it is fun to spice it up every now and then by having 1 or 2 chaps take the other side, the bulk of our play has been coop, just as you have described.

Discussing the nuances of the mission while flying to home base and then going into roving cam mode after landing to check out the local color (i.e. the models located at the various fields) is very much a part of the enjoyment. Further, inasmuch as you modeling chaps seem to be a never ending source of new "stuff", tedium with doing so is not likely to set in any time soon. ;)
Alex Craig

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
ASUS Maximum IX Extreme
ASUS 1080ti Video Card

Bucic
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bucic »

alexcraig wrote:
ben wrote:Johan
Amen!

While it is fun to spice it up every now and then by having 1 or 2 chaps take the other side, the bulk of our play has been coop, just as you have described.

Discussing the nuances of the mission while flying to home base and then going into roving cam mode after landing to check out the local color (i.e. the models located at the various fields) is very much a part of the enjoyment. Further, inasmuch as you modeling chaps seem to be a never ending source of new "stuff", tedium with doing so is not likely to set in any time soon. ;)
I'm VERY happy to see that there are pretty low chances that BoB2 multiplayer will turn into "Flying Counterstrike". Or Il-2 for that matter :P And to see this comes from the core.
ULTIMATE FEATURES SUMUP!
Tutorials http://tinyurl.com/4thtx5c
Installation | User Interface | Starting a dynamic Single Pilot Campaign | Takeoff | Free Flight | Inkscape | more!

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”