UPDATE (2.11) available - note 2.12 now supercedes this

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Bader
BDG

Re: BOBII BDG_2.11 Update Released

Post by Bader »

godzilla wrote: My question deals with the referance to the hedgerows and deleteing those files for better frame rates, if I do that will I still be able to change the BDG.txt and see more tree's or do I need to keep those files if I change the txt?
If you lift the "TREES..." files from objectadds folder, they will disappear in-game. The Ground object density GUI setting will work on these too.

The bdg.txt settings are independent of that. Different hedgerows, actually... some are auto generated, some are manually placed. Sorry, it's not a single setting, we need that in due course really..

Just experiment on your system and see what makes a difference. You can't cause any damage.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

godzilla
Airman First Class

Post by godzilla »

Thanks Bader, I'll give it a try.
Cheers

Davy TASB
Airman Basic

Post by Davy TASB »

Thanks very much for the new update.
Your hard work is much appreciated. 8)

nachinus
Staff Sergeant

Post by nachinus »

Downloading ASAP!

Thanks to all involved. It's a pity to have to wait for Tiger Moth, but great update anyway. Flying at low alt it's going to be delicious.
"I hate reality, but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
Woody Allen

Helmut_AUT
Senior Airman

Post by Helmut_AUT »

This looks like yet another Killer Update. With those new landscape details it finally is overall a very modern looking sim, thanks to the hard work of you guys. And it's nice that the Waffle Aircraft got some love, too (Me110 Update).

The idea with the 30 second takeoff for manual engine management also seems brilliant.

Are the new default skins using reflections, or suffering from the same shader code problem as multiskin (no reflections)?

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

30 second takeoff? I seem to be missing something here ;)
On the subject of takeoff's, is there a key to asign to the engine so that if manual-engine management is on I can just press one key to turn the engine on? ;)

Helmut_AUT
Senior Airman

Post by Helmut_AUT »

Well, I think that was the entire point... that 30 seconds are enough time to start the engine by hand. Otherwise you'll have to set the engine to run when you launch a mission, there's a switch in the BDG.txt for that.

Oh my, just flew over London. The most amazing city representation EVER in a Combat Sim. IL-2s Leningrad fades against this. As good as my Vienna payware package for M$ Flightsim 2009.

Guys, this is the final jewel in the crown of BoBII.

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Glad you're enjoying the groundwork, Helmut :)
We are not done yet.

Regarding aircraft model lighting, the default non-MS (MultiSkin) aircraft allow a moving external camera point on lighting so it can be nicer for screenshots, I would say.

The MS skinned aircraft do have lighting highlights but it doesn't move with external camera angle (which is fine for when you are actually in cockpit, but perhaps not as flexible for when taking external screenshots).

Try it with and without MS to see.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Helmut_AUT
Senior Airman

Post by Helmut_AUT »

What I like with default lighting is that you can sometimes actually see an AC "flash" in the distance while it's turning relative to you. It's an effect that every real combat pilot knows, but hasn't been done in a sim before.

BTW, the fix list doesn't mention the ATI-Mirror Color Palette fix. The mirrors now are really nice looking.

And I truly love the 30 second takeoff change. Seems a minor difference when reading the list, but actually makes scrambling that much more fun.

Bigfish
Airman First Class

Post by Bigfish »

Thankyou so much. The new terrain detail is outstanding and I expect I'll find other things to marvel at as I continue flying.
Intel Core2 E8400 (o/c to 3.9 Ghz), MSI P35Neo2, 2GB DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix, Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic, SB Audigy, Direct X 9.0c, XP SP3, TM Cougar + U2nxt, TM Elite pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro+TIR 5.0b s/ware, Iiyama PLB2409HDS-B 24" monitor.

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

@Bader, you said there'd be a fix for low-res mirrors from some ATI cards, but my mirrors in the spit and Hurri are still low-res... :?

And is there just one key to assign to engine startup? Like in Il-2...? ;)

Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Post by Itkovian »

Excellent work!

And sure enough, you do need the latest DirectX to work. I definitely ran into that problem (I thought I already had it, and I thought poorly *grin*). I mean, it did work with the old version, but it would crash from time to time (and the Turkey Shoot mission would _always_ crash after 10-15 seconds). Updated DX 9.0c (I guess it's a new version... what happened to incrementing the bloody version number when you fix things anyway?), and now it works fine (well, ok, I did get 1 CTD when my A/C actually crashed on takeoff, but that was a KernelBase.dll one, and only happened when I died anyway).

And the 30 second takeoff took me by surprised. I'd gotten used to rushing like a lunatic to get everything started so I could catch up to my wingmen. Last night I took off and looked around and wondered where everyone was! :)

Love the terrain, incidentally. Flying over the south of England just got even better. :)

Good work, everyone!

Itkovian

Helmut_AUT
Senior Airman

Post by Helmut_AUT »

philip.ed wrote:@Bader, you said there'd be a fix for low-res mirrors from some ATI cards, but my mirrors in the spit and Hurri are still low-res... :?
HD4890 here, the mirrors now look perfect to me. The low color quality is gone, the color banding is gone.

What card are you using?

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

ATI 4650 here...not the best now, but I can fly with most settings on high :D

Regarding 30-second takeoff, how do I read about this in more detail? As it may make me wish to fly with manual engine management on now ;)

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

philip.ed wrote:ATI 4650 here...not the best now, but I can fly with most settings on high :D

Regarding 30-second takeoff, how do I read about this in more detail? As it may make me wish to fly with manual engine management on now ;)
philip.ed.
Flying manual on take-off,you can't beat,it feels more like the real thing,but you have to be real quick with mouse,it helps if you have a good mouse with
high DPI,something like 1600 DPI,laser mouse,or optical.
I can generaly get airbourne in about 12 seconds,which adds to the excitement.
I would have thought that ATI v/c would be okay for the new settings for your mirror,did you over install on your 2.10 update with the 2.11,or did you do a fresh install?
If you did a fresh install,perhaps you had some leftover files from the last BOB game you deleted,sometimes there are files left over in the registry.
I always go into the registry if doing a new install,as i do find files left over in there,such as "Battle of Britain" and "Rowan software" which i delete.
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”