SCREENSHOTS

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
stickman
BDG

Re: SCREENSHOTS

Post by stickman »

Since I am not changing anything more dev things for v2.12 and we are in testing mode, I have been test flying.
A bit rusty I am at shooting , and my piloting has always sucked. Here is something I reported today. No CTD.

On test #2 I turned to a ME110. He made the mistake of of flying straight and level for too long...... 6 seconds?
A long far away he was, and only fills 1/2 the sight ring, No way I can hit him with a Gun Convergence of 150 yards, eh?
Pull up the sight bead a bit for Bullet_DragGravity=ON and Bullet_Dispersion=ON, and try a 1 second burst.
Ha! I hit him! Lucky shot. Or maybe I am getting better at this shooting?

Took this screenshot 1 second after I saw his flame erupt, with a handy thumb button on my SAITEK throttle. Gotta test that button, too!

BTW, I am using a Canopy Glass and Gun Sight mod from Boreas, that I have chosen to adopt for my personal use.
His Sight will not make you shoot better, but I like the look of it.

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

Agreed...... absolutely brilliant gunsight
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last WLSC

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

stickman wrote:Since I am not changing anything more dev things for v2.12 and we are in testing mode, I have been test flying.
A bit rusty I am at shooting , and my piloting has always sucked. Here is something I reported today. No CTD.

On test #2 I turned to a ME110. He made the mistake of of flying straight and level for too long...... 6 seconds?
A long far away he was, and only fills 1/2 the sight ring, No way I can hit him with a Gun Convergence of 150 yards, eh?
Pull up the sight bead a bit for Bullet_DragGravity=ON and Bullet_Dispersion=ON, and try a 1 second burst.
Ha! I hit him! Lucky shot. Or maybe I am getting better at this shooting?

Took this screenshot 1 second after I saw his flame erupt, with a handy thumb button on my SAITEK throttle. Gotta test that button, too!

BTW, I am using a Canopy Glass and Gun Sight mod from Boreas, that I have chosen to adopt for my personal use.
His Sight will not make you shoot better, but I like the look of it.
stickman.

Nice shooting especially as you did it using the 2 options,"Bullet Gravity",and "Bullet Dispersion" to "On".
This is vital when shooting at any target whether still or moving as you will know,but as this sim has a steep learning curve,i wonder how many people(expecially newcomers)go into the BGD Text,and turn those 2 options to "On",or bother to alter some of the other options there.Without them turned to "On",there isn't much pleasure or satisfaction in shooting at E/A.

Imho,i think those 2 options should be turned to "On" by default,or make a Sticky to show people how to get into the BDG Text and what to alter to get the best out of the game,just a suggestion,i know most of the people who have been playing this for yrs. will know that,but i'm thinking of mostly the newcomers.
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

marine,

The bullet behavior lines come stock like this. The bullet dispersion ON by default.

Bullet_DragGravity=OFF
Bullet_Dispersion=ON #This is the primary switch for Bullet Dispersion ON= apply Dispersion or OFF= No dispersion

The bullet ballistics was the first thing that Buddye remade when he joined the BDG years ago.
When we put these lines in we left the bullet DragGravity default as OFF. The thinking then was that a new player
would complain that he cannot hit anything and the gun sights are no good.
I do not recall what my opinion was back then, but I generally agree with you that we should institute realism as stock issue,
and then let players complain if they will, then explain how they can "dumb" the sim down to their preferences. :P

There are a lot of bdg lines that I would like to see changed from the old stock defaults.
I was very busy doing my two projects for v2.12, and I confess that I did not lobby hard enough to get some of these bdg text lines changed to what I feel they should be.
At the same time Buddye was very busy with real life issues, and I did not want to bother him too much about that.

Right now v2,12 is testing stable in Instant Action, the Commander Campaigns, and the RAF Single Player Campaign, with no new problems that we did not have with v2.11. More testing on SPC may be needed, though.
So we are in our last code compilations from Osram, Buddye, and two27. Hopefully!
May be too late for me to lobby that Bullet drop and some AA gun firing rates should be changed.

I will write up a list of my suggested bdg text lines edits, when we release v2.12.

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

stickman wrote:marine,

The bullet behavior lines come stock like this. The bullet dispersion ON by default.

Bullet_DragGravity=OFF
Bullet_Dispersion=ON #This is the primary switch for Bullet Dispersion ON= apply Dispersion or OFF= No dispersion

The bullet ballistics was the first thing that Buddye remade when he joined the BDG years ago.
When we put these lines in we left the bullet DragGravity default as OFF. The thinking then was that a new player
would complain that he cannot hit anything and the gun sights are no good.
I do not recall what my opinion was back then, but I generally agree with you that we should institute realism as stock issue,
and then let players complain if they will, then explain how they can "dumb" the sim down to their preferences. :P

There are a lot of bdg lines that I would like to see changed from the old stock defaults.
I was very busy doing my two projects for v2.12, and I confess that I did not lobby hard enough to get some of these bdg text lines changed to what I feel they should be.
At the same time Buddye was very busy with real life issues, and I did not want to bother him too much about that.

Right now v2,12 is testing stable in Instant Action, the Commander Campaigns, and the RAF Single Player Campaign, with no new problems that we did not have with v2.11. More testing on SPC may be needed, though.
So we are in our last code compilations from Osram, Buddye, and two27. Hopefully!
May be too late for me to lobby that Bullet drop and some AA gun firing rates should be changed.

I will write up a list of my suggested bdg text lines edits, when we release v2.12.
stickman

Thanks for replying to my post,i never noticed the dispersion was on by default,just the bullet gravity was off,so i always put that line to on,as that is the most important part of the dogfighting,and historically as well,perhaps as you say that will be amended,as i know you chaps have a lot on your hands,as in real life as well.

As you say,if anyone complains about the bullet drop,then they need to learn fast,or get shot down,i take the sim as for real,as it was in the BOB,on either side,it's much better with bullet gravity on,that's where you learn the skill,but there you go,i know you are a stickler for the sim to be historical.and quite right to,that's what makes this sim imho the best.
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

"Lt Newman, happy to squeeze the last out of his tortured Spitfire"

Last edited by HAZZIE on 21 Mar 2014, 06:21, edited 2 times in total.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Hayzie,

For chrissakes. Don't put art up on the Screen Shots topic, bitte.
Best put them up on Hell's Half Acre.
I am the Moderator in this forum. Not very often have I had to delete posts. A few cat fights! :shock:
Will leave this here for now, and not transfer it to Hell's Half Acre, as I want to keep you on my good side.

That said..
You may be a frequent visitor of this place, as I am?
http://www.deviantart.com/

Where did you get this?

I know how old you are. Alfred E. Newman, and MAD magazine. hah!
Did you make it? Looks like your BoBII goggles mod on Alfred. :)

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

Stickman - if yer wanna transfer this to Hel's Acre jus do it, if they worth anything - no problem. I thought about which thread to put these on and thought them to be more like 'screenshots', actually, especially the 74 Spitfires, where I used BoB spits as graphic base models in it and for the perspective effect.
Every screenshot posted, is also essentially a work of art, as the maker is carefully choosing their position of view, sky, clouds, ground, light , reflections and other aircraft for the best aesthetic effect. As well as showing off re-worked mapped 'artwork' ( ie: Boreas's cliffs and gunsight) Sorry-I jus thought more approriate thread here.

Yeah - I made up the S. Dali + Cranky bit-piece Spitfire with overlays of bits purged off the internet, as well as from BoB2 texture files, including A.E.N.'s face. I knew YOU, at your spring-chicken age, would recognise A.E.N, so pity you posted knowlege of it so quickly - the reason for this off-the wall composite art excersize is to see who else may identify A.E.N, and or know of Dalis' most famous excrutiatingly painful 'gland - squeezing' painting? As well have having nothing else to do this weekend.
Could title this graphic "Lt Newman, happy to squeeze the last out of his tortured Spitfire"

Mebee you can move this to Hell's and edit your post to "who is the missing tooth boy in the cockpit - I faintly recognise him?", delete this post (Hazzie) and see if there are any responses to the graphic? Do a bit of 'Spy vs. Spy' like the 2nd last page of MAD. I undestand that a helava lot of this formums members are over 50? Yougsters today mainly haven't even heard of BoB, or for that matter WWII, or built an Airfix model.

PS - my 20 something kids recon my old M.A.D. mags are best kids mags they ever seen ( they appreciated the unbelievable 'cartoon' art, the dry humour of Don Martin, and the folding back page) - unfortunately they not availiable in SA ( never have been actually - deemed too liberal for the SA censors from Apartheid days to now ) and you have to specifically order/ import them at heleava price. So very few know this mag here. They were freely availiable, however, when I was a kid in Rhodesia.

When you were a 'light-tee" ( SA slang for youngster - eminates from 'Light-weight' as in 'small' boxer as well all had to do boxing as a school sport ) did you ever get the Brits 'Beano' mags?
see http://www.beano.com/ - clik around this site a bit and listen to all the 'rude' sounds, and look for my favourite character 'Plug'!

S.D 1940 - 'Evening of Hope' ( at the start of WWII - value= $ 50 MIL + )
See the 'horsepower' comming out of the cannon accompanied by some type of limp tubular human anatomy with loose-skin ears oozing red mucus, turning into an angel trying to obstruct the horse, a two-bodied cherub disliking the smell, a deceased head which is actually part of a foot from a distorted female body streached such that the tendons are splitting as if the flesh is rotted, the femaile who patently was beautiful and desireable, is still trying to play a melting Chello in death, and a tree with some disgusing looking skin-folds, supporting her.
I think Dali saw a lot of dead young & nude female corpses laying around in the '37 Spanish Civil war ( shot up by Gallant & Co ) and this affected his brain quite a bit.
This was my stetwork study piece forn H.o. Art 1 at Univ.
( remove these images if you think they diminish the 'morality' of the forum, and if you feel this type of nudity disgustingly degrades the human body and has no place here )

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

You constructed the Sailor Malan pic yourself? Wow, that's pretty stunning work! - and a lot of time as well.

creepycrawl
Staff Sergeant

Post by creepycrawl »

Wow, stunning work there, Hazzie. It would be wonderful to be that gifted visually.

I'm one of those people who aren't plagued by the curse of incredible talent and fame.
Alienware Aurora-R3 - Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs) - 8GB DDR3-SDRAM (1333MHz) - Dual AMD Radeon HD 6950 (2GB) - Realtek ALC892 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Saitek X52, Rudder Pedals, Throttle Quadrant - TrackIR 5

www.bob2wov.com

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

Bits of talent, lots of plagiarism, and unfortunately no fame whatsosever.

I absoluely love plagiarising BoB2's sky, clouds and ground at altitude, using screenshots as backgrounds for aircraft studies
( see the sky in the TR-JM ( Tango-Romeo [ tough-rhodesian / Juilet-Mike [Jack Malloch] Rhodesian Mk 22 Spitfire - you can see Stickman's hated cloud layer at 19 000' - also this graphic done many years back )
I used a lotta license on this graphic - this particular Mk 22 did not, in fact have contra-rotating props ( 5 blade prop ) and the engine and nose has been 'bubble warped' to look much bigger and therefore impressive ( bit like David's head )

If you interested in the ex Scot/ex Rhodesian WWII Spit and 1960's African Congo mercenary pilot, jack Malloch
see mull movie at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WLxrePTYp0
short clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_z8yu6ilw
Amazing that such a little place like Rhodesia ( 60,000 whites, 8 mil blacks back then ) had the technical ability to re build a late marque Spitfire as this.
(You will hear the wonderful Rhodesian accents, just as in the 'Green leader' Lusaka raid tapes, as well as see some of the most beautiful African granite hills and countryside in that magnificent, but now destroyed land)

In digital art, it is very easy to plagiarise, which is why I love jus doin assemblies nowadays, not having to create very much yourself - jus do the aesthetic arranging.

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

:) Ironic that this thread has just appeared on here--same guy? http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=90508

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

Trumper:
Yeah - the movie is about the same guy and his Spitfire - a Durban born of Scottish parents, who became enamoured with Central Africa after making mates with Rhodesians in the RAF in Italy at the end of the war. I think he liked their pioneer and mercenary spirit, so he then became a pioneer and mercenary up there.

also see http://www.jackmalloch.com/timeline.htm - what an incredible life - makes Biggles look tame.
"The first ‘Spitfire Ferry’ from the UK to Southern Rhodesia. Jack is one of the pioneering pilots – March 1951"
also http://www.jackmalloch.com/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Trans_Africa
"Jack Malloch was a pioneering aviator who ran numerous clandestine airlines in Africa in the early post-independent years where he was involved in gun-running against the encroachment of Communism. He actively fought against the UN, yet was in the pay of both the CIA and the French Secret Service. He is most well known as the
arch Rhodesian sanctions buster who almost single-handedly kept Rhodesia alive through a steady supply of consumer goods, arms and ammunition throughout the years of Rhodesia's UDI."

This is undoubably the most moving film about a Spitfire I have ever seen
especially as he dies at the end of the flight sequences after flying into a tropical hailstorm - how tragic
And the helecopter fly-bys and poem toward the end?

The poem which was said at his funeral and is reused in the movie:
"I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
and danced the sky
on laughing silken wings
Somewhere, I climbed
and joined the sun-split mirth of cloud
and of the hundred things you have not dreamt of
We have soared and sung in the sunlit silence
And flung my eager craft through footless halls of air...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WLxrePTYp0

A photoshop study I did some years ago on this aircraft ( on the same photo in your reference link) in preparation of the JM digital painting ( above )
See how the colours have been upgraded, the entire engine housing made bigger, the insignia changed to Rhodesian roundels, the referece letters changed ( to that of the book ) and the spinner and prop changed to become contra-rotating: for no more than the purpose of romance:
Various people who were part of Malloch's Spitfire programme '78-'80 and who have seen this 'upgraded' image nearly flipped out when they saw the contra prop as they thought their memory had failed!

A framed print of this graphic hangs in my studio - it is 1189 x 84mm ( ISO-A0 size )
The backgound clouds and ground texture are a BoB2 screenshot, taken some years ago. That is how good I think BoB2 is.
If anyone wants the full size digital file, send me a private message and I will email it ( 5 mB) to you or link it on Mediafire.

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

This illustrates the power of ENBSeries ( bit overexposed to the LHS of the explosion tho)
In seeking Boreas's more brownish hues of the landscape, with which I agree as BoB2 is overtly green, I grade my Samsung monitor colours as BLUE=50%, GREEN=50% RED=60%, which you see in this
screenshot. I also think this makes a world of difference in getting a 'dated' effect when in the action.
This also illustrates the RAF prop texture at medium revs, and the yellow tip band effect, as I have posted previously or
d/l spit /hurri prop at http://www.mediafire.com/?78m38c8jeqlaj1r
Luft pilots are running and there are two Goerings at the radio tables ( same figurine mapping of that, that sits in the Kampwagon, unfortunately)

D/L or view fullsize screenshot at my sceen resolution http://www.mediafire.com/view/?avq8eripwv78ur5

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

see the JU88 luft prop texture and the AA squiggle tracer passing behind
d/L screenshot http://www.mediafire.com/view/?wwo42dgv8t2erql

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”