Meaning of enemy casualty numbers in combat report?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
hellcat44
Senior Airman

Meaning of enemy casualty numbers in combat report?

Post by hellcat44 »

For example, 4/7 in this report,,,

hellcat

stickman
BDG

Re: Meaning of enemy casualty numbers in combat report?

Post by stickman »

This is Instant Action which I rarely play.
I think that Enemy Casualties 4/7 Bf109 means that your 54 Squadron claimed 4 kills of a total of 7 Bf109 casualties.

Or is it the Player? What did your Diary say about how many kills you got during this Instant Action?

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Post by hellcat44 »

It's the player.
In instant action,,, ever since I installed BoF, many soufflés ago,
one to one is nine to one. It remains one to one only in the sense that the 109"s don't engage all at once.

But getting back to the enemy casualty numbers,,,yeah, of all the possibilities, 7 damaged with 4 of those kills makes the most sense.

Anyway,,, just flew another and quit when I had what I thought to be one kill and another damaged. However,,,report showed 1/4 enemy causalities
whereas diary says claims 1/1 and also confirms I was damaged.

Don't understand the discrepancy,,,but hey, thanks for your reply.
hellcat

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Post by hellcat44 »

On second thought,,, maybe, and it's a stretch, the total causalities also includes 109's colliding with each other.
I didn't see the collisions if that's the case.
hellcat

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

hellcat44,

Not being an Instant Action player I really don't know how well the Reports work there. Even using BoF, which I have never played, I assume it would be the same as regular Instant Action.

I only play Campaign. There the previously broken Reports have been cleared up to be 95% accurate for v2.13 by two27 our only coder.
It is rare that I see false Reports in Campaign Review, unit Diary, and Player Diary anymore. Sometimes things don't add up, again, rarely.
On second thought,,, maybe, and it's a stretch, the total causalities also includes 109's colliding with each other.
I didn't see the collisions if that's the case.
The AI aircraft may run into each, but I have not seen much of that.
With my recent LW Campaign testing, and a BDG Englishman Lofty Anstruther testing RAF Campaign, AI aircraft tend to SHOOT each other chasing the same targets.

We are testing the latest Campaign code and a new Random Skills code. The old Random Skills code was broken in a bad way.

Lofty Anstruther sees RAF AI pilots chasing & shooting at the same bomber, all too often shooting each other!

--------------------------

I was testing LW Campaign, in another 2,000 feet Raid in Poor weather on Kingston Hawker (producing 30 Hurricanes /week) which has repaired to functional with only 3 of 16 target elements Destroyed.

I always start flying the Emil in auto-pilot. I want to see how the AI behave. Fragged into 2nd Staffel Leader.
My AI Regular1 skill Cabbage leader soon finds a tail of a Spitfire and gets some shots on him. This deflection shot missed
Meanwhile things are getting hot around here.

Later, Regular1 Cabbage smokes the Spit and is getting closer for a better shot, when another Emil comes from behind, below, and up from me, and in front of Cabbage Leader
and starts shooting at the smoking Spit too, while flying into the bullet stream of my firing AI Regular1!! :evil:

BOOM! The Spit blows up!

My bullets blew off the port stabilizer of the Emil caught in the middle, and I watch him veer off to port and crash into ground.
Och! I hate Friendly Fire! This should not happen! :x
Well.. this scheiss happens all too often even in the real world.

My AI Regular1 goes looking for another enemy. I take a look at the movecodes for skills with AI aircraft in view.

My Cabbage Leader AI guy did not line up any more shots, and very soon, the most of the remaining RAF are in DISENGAGE or SCREWYOUGUYSIMGOINGHOME mode.
My AI Regular1 ends up near Biggin Hill chasing some RAF AC trying to land, and I my engine is hit. Probably from a Bofors.
At that point I took Manual control, and disengaged myself away 2 miles.. from Der Hexenkessel (Biggin Hill, Kenley and Croydon). I try to keep my damaged AC in the air, if can.
The remaining Me109s are trying to shoot down RAF fighters trying to land at Biggin Hill.
The whole 3D Frag engagement might have lasted 2 minutes, but seemed like 20 seconds, it was so hot.

I ALT-X to 2D and take a look at Campaign map situation. One RAF icon left (of three original Intercepting Squadrons), 4 AC shown left. Most all LW fighter icons are still in der Hexenkessel.

Egressing from Kingston the He111 bombers lost only 1 AC. Kingston Hawker Hurricane factory is now 6 of 16 Target elements Destroyed.
Don't use this place anymore for Hurricane production. I'll be back!

Mission Accomplished.

-------------------------------------------------

In the bdg text file (BoBII root folder)
is this user adjustable line which was made to stop Friendly Fire:

Friendly_Fire=OFF #ON = permit friendly fire (historic), or OFF = no friendly fire permitted

It is ON by default. I have never fully tested this switch before. Was calibrating Spitfire gauges when it was made.
I suggested to Lofty Anstruther to turn this switch to OFF. To see if this switch actually works. I have also done so, to test it.

(I spend a lot of time testing and replacing broken switches at the oil refinery where I still work, after 23 years & 62 years old.)

Aloha!

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Post by hellcat44 »

Interesting,, never understood the workings of this sim,,,just to European for me I guess.

I haven't seen many AI collisions either.
In fact, have probably seen, or been aware of, more AI's on my six diving with me and
not being able to recover than collisions.

As for playing campaigns, never got Rogue B0B stable enough to warrant the time and trouble.
Most days I have to fiddle around a bit just to get decent instant action play out of him.
hellcat

lektoraj
Airman

Post by lektoraj »

At least in version 2.00, 4/7 appears to mean that the player downed 4 planes and hit a total of 7. The other 3 might be "assists" where the plane was later downed by a wingman. If you click the "diary" tab you get data for your squadron and in multi-squadron sceanrios you can also click there to see the data for other squadrons.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”