what seat position do you use?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
jscharpf
Airman Basic

what seat position do you use?

Post by jscharpf »

Just wondering how you put your seat when in the cockpit. The default position looks good in that you can see the front of your engine cowl, however, looking left or right your view is blocked because it seems you are up so high that the wings interfere. I usually move my position down a few clicks to get a better left/right view, but then I am lower and no longer see the front cowling.
I find myself constantly adjusting, lower when on the ground, so I can see around me, higher when in the air, so I can see the front of my engine.
I guess this is a silly question, but I'm just wondering how you set yourselves up in your cockpit.

Jeff

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: what seat position do you use?

Post by Oracle427 »

I set it up as in real life. I can't see the cowling and I can see about half the wing from the midspan out.

If I crane my neck I can see the cowling, but then I can't see the wings. I believe the default view is set for a taller pilot than me and I am 5'6".
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

When I was flying, I was told to adjust the seat so I could just barely see the cowling. (I’m 5’6 and still needed a cushion!) Gives a better perspective of the aircraft when landing etc. In the simulator, it does seem whacked about the left/right windows, and to be honest, I don’t remember it being that way in real life and it was not a problem. Probably because you’re contantly moving your head in real life. TrackIR helps too with that issue!

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

I go one click down if I'm using the HAT on my joystick. I remember being able to barely see the top of the cowling, and the underside of the wings. I'm 6'3" and always cranked the seat to the lowest position.

But I find the programmed seat position absolutely perfect with head tracking equipment (I use TrackIR). The act of turning my head to look out the side windows involves a ducking motion, which lowers my point of view enough to barely see the wings in the upper edge of the windows... exactly as I remember the perspective.
Really, there should be little variation in eyepoint for different users. The aircraft is designed around the assumption that the pilot's eyes are in a certain location in the cockpit, and the adjustable seat serves to ensure that different sized pilots all are able to achieved the designed vantage point. While we don't have the alignment devices that transport and combat aircraft have, the principle remains the same.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”