One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Revd
Airman

Starting 172 after mis-start?

Post by Revd »

Hello all.
I’m looking for advice please.

I must admit I’m having a bit of a nightmare starting the 172, but I have succeeded once or twice. Something that ive noticed, though, if I mis -start I seem completely unable to start the engine again afterward. To take the last occasion for instance. I reinstalled because it seemed to me that I must have badly installed such was the difficulty I was having in starting the plane and controlling flight model after auto-start. Anyway, I reinstalled and sure enough I went through the procedures that I’d read over and over again, and the plane started first turn of the key. The problem was that such was my elation that I forgot to push the fuel knob forward and the engine spluttered to a halt. ARSE!!! Oh well, no probs, it started ok so just have to go through the normal procedures and ....we’ll, no actually. Once again it seemed like nothing I could do would turn the engine and cough to life. So all this is to ask for some advise, canyons please give me some idea of the best way of going about trying to start up after a mistart.

Thanks all
Neil.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Starting 172 after mis-start?

Post by flapman »

Try opening the throttle more.

Revd
Airman

Post by Revd »

Thank you for the reply. I wondered about that, opinion seems to be divided.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

After such a start, you will have to prime again becouse the engine was starved of fuel, it burned or went overboard, reprime and as said earlier, open the throttle more.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

If engine is flooded then cut off mixture and full throttle and crank. Once it starts back off throttle and apply mixture. It can be a bit tricky until you get the hang of it.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”