"BMU" displayed on 172 autopilot?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
lootcorp
Airman Basic

"BMU" displayed on 172 autopilot?

Post by lootcorp »

I was flying today and set my desired altitude in the autopilot...set a vertical speed and hit "ARM" and saw the letters "BMU" annunciated next to the vertical "ARM" annunciation (right under the letters "ALT"...has anyone ever seen this before? I couldn't find any mention of this online or in the Bendix manual.

Thanks!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: "BMU" displayed on 172 autopilot?

Post by Nick - A2A »

No - I've never seen that before Jim. In fact, I'm struggling to see how the screen on the KAP 140 could display an "M" in that location given that there's just a basic seven-segment character there...

Are you sure it was "BMU" you saw? :?

Cheers,
Nick

85chevy4x4
Airman

Post by 85chevy4x4 »

I've noticed that sometimes after a save a flight with an A2A plane and then load a saved flight with another, the autopilot and davtron clock will display random letters and designs.. always fixed by restarting FSX. Maybe this is what your experiencing?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

85chevy4x4 wrote:I've noticed that sometimes after a save a flight with an A2A plane and then load a saved flight with another, the autopilot and davtron clock will display random letters and designs.. always fixed by restarting FSX. Maybe this is what your experiencing?
It could be an initialization issue. Can you let us know how you loaded when you experienced the issue.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

lootcorp
Airman Basic

Post by lootcorp »

Yeah, very strange...never saw that prior, and haven't seen it since!

I tried to take a screenshot but looks like it didn't save...It was definitely "BMU" -- only other possibility would be "8MU" -- the M in the middle definitely could not have been created by the 7-segment display -- it had a small vertical line in the top center which isn't even there on the display image posted by Nick M!

I'll chalk it up to an FSX bug...I just started using Air Hauler 2 which is still in early access and is a bit buggy...probably related to using that app to load the FSX flight. If I see it again I'll keep you guys posted!

85chevy4x4
Airman

Post by 85chevy4x4 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:
85chevy4x4 wrote:I've noticed that sometimes after a save a flight with an A2A plane and then load a saved flight with another, the autopilot and davtron clock will display random letters and designs.. always fixed by restarting FSX. Maybe this is what your experiencing?
It could be an initialization issue. Can you let us know how you loaded when you experienced the issue.

thanks,
Lewis
Everytime it has happened was when I saved a flight while playing the simulator. The issue would arise when loading a previously saved A2A flight while the simulator was playing. When the saved flight is loaded, I have it saved so everything is cold and dark.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

lootcorp wrote:I just started using Air Hauler 2 which is still in early access and is a bit buggy...probably related to using that app to load the FSX flight.
That could be something to do with it I imagine. There was some discussion recently here on how AH2 could potentially be interacting with avionics failures in the A2A products.

Anyway, strange little message from the autopilot for sure. At least it didn't say "BUM". :wink: Seriously though, I wonder how the display is actually coded. I'm guessing it doesn't just use a font to render the characters, but that there's something a bit more interesting going on behind the scenes.

Nick

Magnus
Airman

Post by Magnus »

Same with me here today (see link). Doesn't seem to impact the autopilot working though. I have the RXP GNS530 with some fligtplans (imports out of little navmap) next to it.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArVVGvMpRMmfgZAoHvdGW1-k__0Nnw

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Magnus,

Please can you let us know if the issue isn't resolved by reloading the aircraft or restarting FSX/P3D. It's possible that if you loaded from a saved flight as the previous poster described, this could be related to the issue.

To avoid issues such as this, we always recommend that the default flight in the sim uses one of the default FSX/P3D aircraft.

Thanks,
Nick

Magnus
Airman

Post by Magnus »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hello Magnus,

Please can you let us know if the issue isn't resolved by reloading the aircraft or restarting FSX/P3D. It's possible that if you loaded from a saved flight as the previous poster described, this could be related to the issue.

To avoid issues such as this, we always recommend that the default flight in the sim uses one of the default FSX/P3D aircraft.

Thanks,
Nick
Did restart from scratch and it's gone by now. Let's leave it there ... will raise head if it returns with any further impact. I am currently fighting with the RXP GNS530 and its outdated AIRAC data with reloading flightplans and comparing transitions. Might be due to this loading activities ...

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”