Cockpit View Issue

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
[email protected]
Airman First Class

Cockpit View Issue

Post by [email protected] »

When I have the unobstructed Cockpit View selected and I pan right and left with either the hat switch or the numpad keys, I might see an unobstucted outside view similar to what I see out the front, or I might see an obstructed view of the wing and strut from inside the virtual cockpit. I can't figure out what is controlling the views. I don't want to see the wing and struts in that view but I can't change it. What's the secret to seeing an unobstructed outside view consistently every time?I have the newest versions of both Prepar3d and the Accu-Sim C172.

I've been flying Yosemite since I wrote the previous paragraph and experimenting and testing. There seems to be some kind of link to the map and/or POH. Sometimes viewing one or the other will toggle the view between virtual cockpit obstructed view and outside unobstructed view.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Cockpit View Issue

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi maajr57,

Are you trying to set up the aircraft so that the virtual cockpit model isn't visible at all? (For example, if you've built a hardware cockpit instead.)

For the vast majority of users, the aircraft is used from within the 3-D virtual cockpit so that the instrument panel, interior and wings are visible, just as they'd be in reality.

However, if you wish to use to fly without this geometry being visible, you could use the "cockpit" option within the "views" menu and make sure that all the 2-D panels are closed. For enabling sound with this configuration, please see the info here.

Thanks,
Nick

[email protected]
Airman First Class

Thanks for the response. No I'm not building a cockpit. I do primarily use the virtual cockpit the most but I like the outside unobstructed views primarily when I'm flying in a pattern or otherwise looking for the airport. It has been working better and more consistently recently but not sure why. To be fair, I'm not sure if it's an A2A issue or a Prepar3d issue.

[email protected]
Airman First Class

Issue resolved!!! When using the unobstructed cockpit outside view, panning left and right with the hat switch will show the same outside unobstructed view as they should. When using the same view, and having the map or POH open, panning left and right will show the virtual cockpit view of the wing and struts. In a previous post titled: "No Map, No Preflight, No POH, No Mini Controls, No Hangar" I could not see my map, POH etc because I had somehow turned my transparency to 100% making them invisible. Therefore, I had the map or POH open and invisible and therefore affecting the views. You can't make this stuff up and if you could, who would believe you? Mystery solved and thank you for your help!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for posting back with the update maajr57.

Yes, if those 2-D panels were open but invisible, I believe that would explain the virtual cockpit being visible in 'cockpit' view.

Of course, in the real aircraft the high wing design of the 172 means that an obstructed view when in the traffic pattern is something that the pilot must adapt to. In the sim, this blocking of the view by parts of the aircraft can be even worse, because by default it's not easy to bob one's head down or crane it forward to peer around obstacles. Partly for this reasons, head tracking add-on such as TrackIR, and camera utilities like EZdok and ChasePlane are popular with flight simmers.

All the best,
Nick

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”