Using A2A C172 for scenario-based training ...

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
krswen
Airman

Using A2A C172 for scenario-based training ...

Post by krswen »

I plan on starting to work my way through the training scenarios in Bruce William's book (Scenario-Based Training with X-plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator). Many of them start you off in the air in the default 172. I'd like to switch to the A2A plane once established in the opening of the scenario. They generally start out with the autopilot on so things stabilize. Will that be a problem with the AP as modeled by A2A? Also, I assume with the built-in accusim I'll be accumulating wear and oil consumption etc. Should I load the aircraft at my favorite airport from time to time and do the walk-around and maintenance checks? Any other potential issues in doing what I'd like to do?

Ken
krswen

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Using A2A C172 for scenario-based training ...

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The sim might not load up correctly when starting in the mid air, esp if the aircraft is set as default flight. This is advised against due to load errors when using a complex sim as the default flight.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

I have successfully "replaced" the aircraft in the training scenarios in FSX with A2A's Cessna 172 which allows me to use a MUCH better aircraft for training purposes. I do not recall starting the aircraft in mid air though so I'm not sure how it would work out. With these aircraft being persistent, you would have to leave it in a flying condition (engine on...) to start in mid air. For ground based starts though, this procedure is ideal.

I'm using Microsoft Flight Simulator X for Pilots : Real World Training but the procedure is exactly the same for any scenario. You can accomplish this by editing the "FLT" file (FSX) or "fxml" file (P3D) and replacing the scenario's aircraft with a substitute aircraft. The "FLT" or "fxml" files can be found in your "Documents/<***> directory where <***> is either Flight Simulator X Files or Prepar3D v4 Files. (Actually, I'm using a "FLT" file in my P3d without any issues so far)

NOTE: if you're not confident in editing these files, then don't attempt. In any case, ALWAYS back up the file before editing it.

First you will need the "title" of the aircraft you want to use in the scenario. You can find this in the "aircraft.cfg" file for that particular aircraft. These are listed at the top of the aircraft.cfg file under [fltsim.1], [fltsim.2] etc. Find the one you want and copy JUST the name next to the "=" (example, the Cherokee I use is "Piper Pa-24-250 N7920P")

Below are instructions for FSX (or FSX Steam)
1. Open the "FLT" file using an editor like "Notepad++"
2. Search for [Sim.0] by hitting Ctrl+F and typing in [Sim.0]
3. Edit "Sim=" by replacing the current aircraft with the name found in the aircraft.cfg file
4. Save the file, launch the sim and the scenario.

Below are instructions for P3D
1. Open the "fxml" file using an editor like "Notepad++"
2. Search for <Section Name="Sim.0"> by hitting Ctrl+F
3. In the "Value=" replace the current aircraft with the name found in the aircraft.cfg file
4. Save the file, launch the sim and the scenario.

Obviously I cannot guarantee that all functions will work if the original scenario calls for a device or function the replacement aircraft does not have. But in my experience, I have had no issues with it.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Its worth noting that if using FSX a part of FSX that's almost always overlooked is the FSX learning centre, filled with lessons, documents, videos and all sorts it is perhaps one of the best all in one place libraries of learning aviation put together even to date. It really is a treasure trove.

Regarding starting in the air, so long as the default flight has its engine running and the engine was running when you last flew with the 172 the aircraft will load with its engine running.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”