Auto-Pilot issue after 04_20_2015 update

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Flyboy_Pete
Airman

Auto-Pilot issue after 04_20_2015 update

Post by Flyboy_Pete »

Hi A2A.

Sweet plane guys! Thanks :-) ... But I am having a small issue with the Accu-Sim Update 04_20_2015.

First up. I always do my updates via the "offline" method. And as such, I always do a backup of the last known working version.

My issue with the C172 is that the Auto-Pilot no longer functions with this update. When activating the AP, the C172 goes into a slow roll, at the same time the hardware yoke disengages. Heading mode, Nav mode, ALT mode do not work. Deactivating the AP gives me back control of the AC.

Tried the C172 in different areas and airports, same problem.

So, I then copied back into my FSX folder the last working backup of the folders we update, and the AP in the C172 is functioning again (previous update).

BTW: The Cherokee 180 is working fine with the 04_20_2015 update.

Any ideas what might be causing this? If not, I'm happy with the last version.

Thanks -- Pete

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Auto-Pilot issue after 04_20_2015 update

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Pete,

How are you activating the autopilot? Is it with a hardware control assigned to the default "autopilot master (on/off)" event?

One thing I've noticed since installing the update is the KAP 140 engage behaviour varies very slightly between the Cessna 172 and Cessna 182. In the 182, it now works perfectly with the default FSX 'z' assignment so that a slightly prolonged (>0.25 sec) button press engages the autopilot. (It correctly captures vertical speed now as well.)

However, if I try this (press-and-hold as per the real unit) in the C172, the autopilot engages and immediately disconnects. Instead, it's necessary to just briefly tap the 'z' key to successfully engage it. Another option is to use the A2A 'C172 input configurator' to assign a key or button to the 'AP ON' function and then it works perfectly. This latter option is maybe something for you to try...

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. The inability to engage the KAP 140 with the proper 0.25 sec keypress is perhaps a tiny 'buglet' for the A2A guys to look into. However, maybe it was like this before the update. (I had set up the C172 input configurator to engage it so can't be sure.) :wink:
A2A Simulations Inc.

Flyboy_Pete
Airman

Post by Flyboy_Pete »

Thanks for your input Nick.

The AP is "showing" that it's activated, all the buttons illuminate the required features, but the AC does not respond to those inputs. I use the "z" key usually - no assignments on my yoke. When pressing the "on/off" button on the unit it works as it should. As I have said, the AP is activating but not controlling the AC. The AC responds as if I have just let go of the yoke - slow roll to the left. Keep in mind that the AP works correctly on the previous update, as I said in my first post.

-Pete

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Pete,

So it works okay when using the mouse to click the 'AP' button in the virtual cockpit; just not with the 'z' key?

In that case, definitely worth trying the A2A 'C172 input configurator' to assign the 'z' key to the 'AP ON' function.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Just make sure to unbind it in fsx.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Caldemeyn wrote:Just make sure to unbind it in fsx.
Actually, it shouldn't be necessary to change your FSX control assignment. It seem the A2A input configurators work by 'intercepting' key presses before they get to the sim, but just for the aircraft in question.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Didn't know that, i always unbind to just be on the safe side. :)

Flyboy_Pete
Airman

Post by Flyboy_Pete »

The "z" key turns the AP on/off OK Nick.

Just to clarify :
Before the current update, in the C172, the AP functioned perfectly.
After the update, the AP "appears" to function; ie: using the "z" key or using the mouse will "activate" the AP and the different functions "appear" to work, but the AP is not controlling the AC. The hardware yoke gets disconnected then the AC just starts a slow roll to the left.

I found this out after starting an IFR flight from Albury to Essendon - in cloud! I didn't panic but, and hand flew the beast all the way !! What an experience. Pity the poor fellows that have to do it in real life !! As per usual, I came in hot and touched down half way down RWY26. I now have to replace the brake pads ;-)

Thanks for your help ...

--Pete

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay Pete, I think I follow. This isn't something I've been able reproduce as the autopilot is functioning fine in my install. However, I run the updater the 'conventional' way with an internet connected FSX PC.

Just to clarify, when you say the functions "appear" to work, do you mean that active modes ('ROL' and 'VS' for instance) are still displayed on the LCD screen but without any control surface inputs? (i.e. no sign of the yokes in the virtual cockpit moving with the aileron/elevator servos.) Just trying to clarify that the autopilot isn't disconnecting, which would usually be indicated by the 2 second tone and 'AP' flashing for 5 seconds.

One other quick question: is the turn coordinator functioning properly in your aircraft? If this was failed (i.e. using the FSX random failures) the autopilot wouldn't work properly.

The only suggestion I can think of at present would be to move your 'C172RLog.dat' file out of the 'My Documents\A2A\FSX\Cessna172' folder. This will make Accu-Sim create a new version so you have a brand new 'factory fresh' aircraft. You'll lose your accrued engine hours etc., so keep the original version in case it doesn't work. :wink:

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Wherever possible always use the aircraft input config tool, in this case it is not the same as pressing the default Z in sim.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Flyboy_Pete
Airman

Post by Flyboy_Pete »

Nick: "Just to clarify, when you say the functions "appear" to work, do you mean that active modes ('ROL' and 'VS' for instance) are still displayed on the LCD screen but without any control surface inputs? (i.e. no sign of the yokes in the virtual cockpit moving with the aileron/elevator servos.)"

That is correct Nick.

Lewis: "Wherever possible always use the aircraft input config tool, in this case it is not the same as pressing the default Z in sim."

I don't understand why you have replied with that Lewis. As I have already stated, and Nick has clarified, the AP is responding to keyboard/mouse inputs. The issue is that it IS NOT controlling the aircraft.

Doesn't matter ... I have returned to the previous update.

Thank you Nick for your help.

Cheers ... Pete

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Pete, do you mean that the autopilot works correctly with the 04/15/2015 update? If so, that's odd as I gather the update 5 days later only addressed the RXP GNS530 click-spot functionality. If this is the case, and you're not a GNS user, waiting until the next update is probably best as you say.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Pete,

please try the correct mapping in the aircraft config application. The Z button will work (as you note it has an affect) but will not work coorrectly 100%. This is similar to the Saitek Hardware gauges which 'work' in that they give a reading but that reading is ten's, hundred's out of what it should be reading.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Flyboy_Pete
Airman

Post by Flyboy_Pete »

Thanks for your help Lewis. I will give that a try. But, does that mean that using the mouse to activate the autopilot would not work untill I have mapped via the config panel? Because I have tried using the mouse with the same end result as using the 'z' key. AP lights up and pressing buttons via the mouse activates modes, but the AP has no effect on the 172. The AC behaves as if I have done a [Crtl - k] which disengages the yoke/joystick and then wanders off on it's own merry way.

BTW: Just in case it's part of the issue that I'm experiencing. I went from update "A2A_Update_09_26_14" to update "A2A_Update_04_15_15" -> Not the "04_20_15 update" (my typo mistake - sorry fellas) ... maybe that has a bearing on the subject?

Thanks for your help.

--Pete

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Flyboy_Pete wrote:BTW: Just in case it's part of the issue that I'm experiencing. I went from update "A2A_Update_09_26_14" to update "A2A_Update_04_15_15" -> Not the "04_20_15 update" (my typo mistake - sorry fellas) ... maybe that has a bearing on the subject?
Pete, if it's the 04/15/15 update that's causing the issue, it's definitely worth persisting for a bit to find a solution as this update adds some good enhancements to the ground handling and flight model.

If the suggestion to use the input configurator doesn't help, perhaps you'd be better off doing a clean reinstall of the C172. Uninstall from the control panel, delete each of the following folders...

My Documents\A2A\FSX\Cessna172 (ideally make a backup of this one as mentioned above)
Microsoft Flight Simulator X\A2A\Cessna172\Update_fsx
Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_C172

...then restart, reinstall and update.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”