what are my options for a dedicated gauages monitor

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
flamer
Airman

what are my options for a dedicated gauages monitor

Post by flamer »

Hi all, I have the C172 trainer and p3d. I have done a bit of research but still not coming up with a valid solution. all I want to do is, have the gauges shown a separate monitor, I am not too concerned about looking flashy etc I'm not a cockpit builder but just a student who wants to be able to see the information clearly without needing to change my view around during flight.

The closest thing I have found so far is simplugins panel builder, although they do have an addon for a2a 172 trainer its only for FSX, I'm running p3d 2.5 so although it works, the information they show are not correct. I have found other solutions but they too are not correct. I know I can change some ini settings to try and fix the rpm gauge but it shouldn't be all this difficult right?

Can anyone else kindly suggest a solution? Is there any reason why a2a don't include a 2d undockable cockpit like all the other aircraft have?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: what are my options for a dedicated gauages monitor

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello you can setup the view within the VC then use the A key when in the VC to get the view you need. The reason modern add-ons tend not to come with these as standard is because FSX started to move away from the 2D cockpit system in favor of the more realistic Virtual cockpit.

So just like in reality you are looking down in the cockpit to view and gauges rather than having them in your face all the time which bares no resemblance to the reality of flying and the eyes in and out of the cockpit concepts that many can fall foul of.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

flamer
Airman

Post by flamer »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hello you can setup the view within the VC then use the A key when in the VC to get the view you need. The reason modern add-ons tend not to come with these as standard is because FSX started to move away from the 2D cockpit system in favor of the more realistic Virtual cockpit.

So just like in reality you are looking down in the cockpit to view and gauges rather than having them in your face all the time which bares no resemblance to the reality of flying and the eyes in and out of the cockpit concepts that many can fall foul of.

thanks,
Lewis
Okay so I assume the A key just toggles between views? That was one of my other options, setting one of the spare buttons on my yoke to switch between outside and inside view, the issue I have is, my system is far from high end and my instruments are very jagged and difficult to read unless zoomed in on.

Can you advise more specific instructions on how to do this? i would love to have two views that I can quickly toggle between.

Kind regards

frangarcia
Airman

Post by frangarcia »

Hi flamer:

Some days ago we talked about the same question, with regard to the C182. You can see the topic at:

Cessna 182 Skylane --> Anyone interested in a simplugins panel for the c182?

You can also find there a list of programs to create 2D panels.

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Flamer,

I was looking to do the same thing you are trying to do. I wanted to use TIR to look around outside the cockpit but to be able to glance down and see my instruments without having to move my head. I actually bought the Basic Panel Builder for P3D. I started off by designing the whole panel based on the A2A 172, but found that too cluttered for my setup. I then reduced it down to the basic six instruments which are the instruments I want to be able to take a quick glance at.

After flying about 10 hrs in the A2A 172 with this configuration I find myself rarely looking at the gauges on my secondary monitor and more often than not just using the TIR to take a quick glance and using my eyes and ears more to tell me what is going on. If you haven't tried TIR you might want to give it a go. It is not cheap and takes a little while to get used to, but I feel it really brings these VCs to life.

Hope this helps,

Brett

flaminghotsauce
Senior Airman

Post by flaminghotsauce »

Hey flamer, are we related? LOL!

I saw some iPad software, do not recall the name, but the six pack is one of the available packages that can be presented. One package is GPS, one is radio, I believe. I"m going from memory here. If you have an iPad, it's worth look for.

edit: Here it is:

https://remoteflight.net

flamer
Airman

Post by flamer »

flaminghotsauce wrote:Hey flamer, are we related? LOL!

I saw some iPad software, do not recall the name, but the six pack is one of the available packages that can be presented. One package is GPS, one is radio, I believe. I"m going from memory here. If you have an iPad, it's worth look for.

edit: Here it is:

https://remoteflight.net
Haha are you my long lost Mexican brother??

Yeah I saw that app too, that's actually what sparked me to rethink my cockpit setup (its called remoteflight and looks awesome)

But I think it all comes back to the issue that A2A as they do not use the default values will give incorrect readings if using 3rd party gauges, even with simplugins panel builder would give incorrect readings particularly on the RPM gauge am I wrong?

I had another thought today, I have a hat button on my yoke, I thought, instead of using it for looking around which is a pain to try and get it re-centred again, what if I could use the hat button as a 4 way or 8 way button, so pressing down gives me instrument view, pressing right gives me a view out the right window pressing up gives me eyes outside view. They are the only places I need to look, if someone could tell me how to do this it would be great, I have registered fsuipc so I can assign the buttons easily its just how to I save a view location to a particular command/button Im not sure of?

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”