Cannot start the 172!!!

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Rands78
Airman

Re: Cannot start the 172!!!

Post by Rands78 »

Hi Nick.

Done everything you suggest above.

Still will not start. I am at a loss.

Steve.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Steve,

It's a bit puzzling for sure. Something else you could try is switching to the fine wire spark plugs in the maintenance hangar in case simulated spark plug fouling during your start attempts is the issue here.

Thanks,
Nick

woody901
Airman First Class

Post by woody901 »

I have to admit, the 172 has always been a problem for me to start. Flat batteries, burnt out starter motors, a real pain.
However today I followed Nick's advice on starting to the letter. Only prime for 2 or 3 seconds, throttle open about 15% and as soon as the engine tried to fire, in quickly with the mixture lever. Result, perfect engine start. never had problems starting any other A2A planes but the 172 was always a pain. I think for me, the secret was to push the mixture lever in straight away when the engine fired, which was as soon as I turned the starter key almost.
Thanks Nick
Hope this helps

Woody
ImageImageImageImage

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the post Woody. Yeah - getting the mixture lever in smartly is definitely key to a successful start as well. It's probably a bit harder to juggle in the sim than in the real thing too, especially for those of us who don't have a proper hardware mixture lever.

For what it's worth, I also tend to keep the fine wire plugs installed in my A2A fleet which probably makes things easier.

Nick

Rands78
Airman

Post by Rands78 »

Slight update.

After re-installing the update I started FSX through the main application, not Flyinside. I noted the updater had worked as i had to 'run' the aircraft tab. I also deleted the situation line in the fsx cfg to load a default flight. I loaded up the 172 and pressed cold and dark. Low and behold, i followed the process and finally the plane started. I did this a few times and it worked every time I set the cold and dark from the shift+3 menu. I have to add i did try this through the fsx app before and i was hitting the same issues, so maybe a panel state issue before the update.

So i know i can start the thing correctly. Now my issue. I use flyinside. Which i think works off a different config file. I deleted the situation line in the flyinside cfg to get a default flight to open, but when i ran the programme i did not get the option to press the 'run' tab recognising an aircraft update.
In the past if I make a change to FSX i would have to do this on both starting from flyinide and starting from the main app if i loaded a new aircraft for example. However, on this occasion i didn't.

I loaded the 172, cold and dark from shift+3 and i am back to the same problem of not starting. Do we think the update i reinstalled did not change anything in the flyinside cfg file, only the fsx cfg file, which explain why i got the 'run' tab from the FSX app not the flyinside one????

Getting there and at least i know i am correct in my process, but something within flyinside does not like the 172, or wont change part of the cfg now i have updated it again.

Rands78
Airman

Post by Rands78 »

Well i seemed to have cracked it and got it going in flyinside from cold and dark.
hopefully long may it continue and will report back any issues that may arise.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Steve

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the update Steve - that's good news. I don't have any experience with Flyinside I'm afraid, so not sure how it would influence the flight loading procedure. However, the Accu-Sim update won't have made any changes to the FSX.cfg.

Cheers,
Nick

Rands78
Airman

Post by Rands78 »

Sadly we are still not there yet.

I can start the 172 through FSX app no worries. Default aircraft loads and then i change to the 172 and no issues. Unfortunately through flyinside this is not the case. I like to save my sitaution when I end and go back to it the following day. Panel state remains the same. When this happens the plane will not start. Now i know im doing it correctly so there must be an issue there somewhere.

Today i deleted my situation line from Flyinside cfg, loaded 172 from default from scratch and the same issue occurs, cannot start it. Im pulling my hair out.......any suggestion or reasons for this known?

Thanks

Steve.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Steve,
Rands78 wrote: I like to save my sitaution when I end and go back to it the following day. Panel state remains the same. When this happens the plane will not start.
Saving your situation in this way could be the culprit. What happens if you load your default flight via Flyinside (with a default aircraft presumably) and then switch to the A2A 172?

Thanks,
Nick

Rands78
Airman

Post by Rands78 »

Nick.

Thought that would be the case so loaded default in flyinside today and switched to 172, same problems im afraid.

Steve

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”