Taxi problem following C172 Update

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Radu T
Airman

Taxi problem following C172 Update

Post by Radu T »

I purchased the Cessna 172 through the new A2A website a couple days ago and everything went fine. After the installation was complete, the installer said to add an update program. After searching online for this updater I found this forum: https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=57819 and got the updater. Following the update running*, I went and had a flight with the 172, however, while taxiing and making turns using differential brakes, the plane wobbled from one rear taxi-wheel to the other. It was a noticeable wobble, as only one of the two main wheels were on the ground during the wobbling turn. I was on solid asphalt and have tried going from add-on airports to default airports but the aircraft continued to wobble while making these turns.

Looking back, I now see this updater was from 2017, is this the most recent updater for the C172? or was the aircraft that I purchased through the new A2A website fully updated?

Any solutions to the wobbling would be appreciated, I am using FSX with Windows 10 and the only modifications I made (which were already made prior to updating and did not have any issues with aircraft functioning) were changing elevator effectiveness from 2 to 1 and adding a texture to the C172. I changed my joystick sensitivity to 0% with no luck (the aircraft flies incredibly smoothly with this setting though, much like the real thing, excepting the wobble).

*By mistake I ran the installer through the zip file rather than extracting it, which stopped the update at 32% saying that it cannot execute a certain file, my laptop then reset, and I extracted the updater to the desktop and ran it there with no issues, the update resumed from 32% to completion

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Taxi problem following C172 Update

Post by flapman »

Hi Radu,

Yes, that updater file you downloaded is the most recent update for the FSX C-172. How fast were you taxiing (approximately)? This sounds like you could be experiencing a severe skid or "wheelie" due to excessive speed and too high a rate of turn...

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

yes I would agree, and first question would be how fast are you taxing the aircraft.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Radu T wrote: I purchased the Cessna 172 through the new A2A website a couple days ago and everything went fine. After the installation was complete, the installer said to add an update program. After searching online for this updater I found this forum (...) and got the updater. (...) Looking back, I now see this updater was from 2017, is this the most recent updater for the C172? or was the aircraft that I purchased through the new A2A website fully updated?
Hi Radu,

If you downloaded the 172 installer from the new A2A store, it's not necessary to run the standalone Accu-Sim update. As you noted, this is from 2017. Instead, provided your PC is connected to the internet, the new installer should have checked for updates and finished with the message below:

However, running the standalone update shouldn't have done any harm in this case. As the others have mentioned, the cause of your 'wobble' may just been taxiing at too high a speed.

Thanks,
Nick

Radu T
Airman

Post by Radu T »

I was taxiing at low speed ~ 5 to 7 knots, as the air speed indicator was barely moved, even when I used to taxi at high speed (~40 knots just for testing purposes, not that that's how I taxi) prior to the update the plane never wobbled but skidded.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Radu,

If the issue has only started after you ran the old updater on your new installation, it may be worth reinstalling the 172.

However, before doing this, please can you check the maintenance hangar (Shift 7) for any issues and make sure that your default P3D scenario uses a default aircraft.

Thanks,
Nick

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Hint, he is using FSX :wink:
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Tomas, somehow I missed that. :oops: In that case, there's definitely no need to reinstall, but it is worth confirming the default flight still uses a default FSX aircraft such as the Trike.

Cheers,
Nick

Radu T
Airman

Post by Radu T »

I am a little confused what you mean by the default flight. When I load my free flight for the first time after opening FSX, the airplane that pops-up is indeed the trike ultralight at Friday Harbor (spawns in mid-air) with fair weather. The way I have been flying the C172 before and after updating was selecting the C172 first, then changing the airport, then local time, then weather and hitting "fly now". Going to the hangar view shift + 7 shows that the aircraft is in "beautiful shape", I even changed the tire type several times back and forth but to no avail (thought the tires were worn out).

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Something that would make me a bit dubious is the installing from the zip file, getting to 32%, then continuing the install from the extracted file. Odd that it continued from 32%. Personally, I'd uninstall it and start from scratch.

Kerching! 2¢
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Radu T
Airman

Post by Radu T »

First off, Hello again Ron! If I were to do a re-install, would I use the windows control panel "Uninstall a program" to uninstall the C172? Or does the A2A C172 installer uninstall the C172 and the other folders it added into the FSX main folder as well? I want to make sure I am doing the uninstall correctly so as to avoid any other problems re-installing.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Make no mistake, I'm only saying what I would do. I have been known to be wrong (well, just the once and I didn't like it!) In any event, it can't do any harm. Programs and Features\Uninstall C172.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Given the install issue intially i think a reinstall would be a good idea. You can run the uninstaller from windows for the 172.

Thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Well?

Radu T
Airman

Post by Radu T »

My taxi issue has somehow been resolved. About an hour ago I flew the C172 again (since for the past days I have had an illness preventing me from doing anything) and the wobble is no longer there. I guess it just needed to sit for a while in its hangar, but even at 20 knots taxiing I tried to get it to wobble to no avail. So I think its safe to say it went away.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”