FSX:Steam crashes after ending flight...

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
ratata
Airman Basic

FSX:Steam crashes after ending flight...

Post by ratata »

Hello guysn'gals.

- After ending a flight with the A2A C172 nothing else can be done in FSX:Steam, every action will result in a CTD with no error message that follows. This happens only with the A2A C172 (which is the only A2A hull I have), no other aircraft causes this annoyance. Any suggestions on what might be the source to this problem? Hints anyone? Everything is up to date and runs real smooth in every other sense on a i7 W10-64Pro setup.

Hvornaar smager en Tuborg bedst?
ratata
Sweden

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: FSX:Steam crashes after ending flight...

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello ratata,

When you say everything is up to date, does this include the latest update for the C172 itself? I'm guessing it does, but just want to make 100% sure.

Also, when you load FSX:SE, which aircraft initialises as part of your default flight? (The one that first appears rotating in the 'Free Flight' dialog.)

Thanks,
Nick

ratata
Airman Basic

Post by ratata »

Hello Nick.
Nick - A2A wrote:...latest update for the C172 itself?
- Yes.
Nick - A2A wrote:...which aircraft initialises as part of your default flight?
- It was the A2A C172. Was. But since you asked I had to try to set another default aircraft and scenario before responding. Sadly the outcome is the same.

ratata

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thank you for the info.

I'd suggest reverting your start-up scenario to the default FSX one (with the trike) to see if this helps. Similarly, deleting the FSX.cfg (ideally after making a back-up) and allowing the sim to delete a new one is a good way to start troubleshooting.

Do you have other add-ons and utilities loaded when the CTD occurs?

Thanks,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

out of interest how many times are you re-loading?

You will always only have a finite amount of reloads with complex aircraft sims (often well under double digits) before you need to restart the FSX simulation platform itself.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

ratata
Airman Basic

Post by ratata »

Nick - A2A wrote:...I'd suggest reverting your start-up scenario to the default FSX one
- As I said in my previous post I've already done that.
Nick - A2A wrote:...deleting the FSX.cfg
- That I do on a regular basis, almost once a week.
Nick - A2A wrote:...do you have other add-ons and utilities loaded when the CTD occurs?
- Not really, the A2A C172 is the only aircraft I have except from the stock hulls (I have A2A AccuFeel and 3DLights too). Beyond that it's just standard stuff like REX Texture Direct, Essentials and HD Airports, ORBX and UTX. Nothing else.
Lewis - A2A wrote:...out of interest how many times are you re-loading?
- I'm not sure what you're referring to by saying 're-load'? Do you mean to 'reset' current flight? Or do you mean quitting a flight to start a new flight with all that means, changing the weather situation, vessel or perhaps the time or something similar? Anyway, neither of that makes a difference.

Anyway, this week I tried like everything. Everything from deleting every trace FSX leaves, every trace from any add-on no matter its origin. With that I mean every trace from the registry as well. After reinstalling the entire simulator and its add-ons the problem persists. Since I'm a software developer myself I'm pretty damn sure that the problem is an overlap in the registry. It wouldn't be meaningful to try to trace it. It is what it is. Those things happens. It will correct itself next time I make a fresh OS-install (every 6 months). Please don't waste time trying to solve this, I can live with it. Probably it hasn't anything to do with the A2A software itself, more likely it's overlaps made by subvendor software you guys use. Case closed. But thanks for trying to help me.

Best regards
ratata
(Hvornaar smager en Tuborg bedst?)
Sweden

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

If you have a CTD, have you tried reviewing the Windows Application Error Event logs for clues? That should point you to the failing module.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

ratata
Airman Basic

Post by ratata »

Oracle427 wrote:...have you tried reviewing the Windows Application Error Event logs for clues?
No, I haven't. For several reasons. The first one; I'm not obligated to do so since I'm a customer. The second one; I'm a software developer myself, if I start un-tangle all messages therein, I'm stuck. It's a curse and you know it, you just HAVE to solve it no matter what time it costs. Time I don't have. The third one, and the most important one; that tool is useless, really. It just points on where the error pops up, not the cause of it. Error handling in software is like a bubble sorting algorithm when you want to see the source to the error in Windows, it never really shows where the error occurs, just where it pops ups to the surface. So no, I never checked it out there, for obvious reasons. I'm sorry if my tone is a little dry and pragmatic, I can assure you I try not to sound like that but since I work with these issuses daily I don't know how to else put it. Nevertheless, I know these kind of obscure errors do occur from time to time, and as for me, I can live with this one. Hence my opinion, let's not waste more time to this. I'm happy anyway. Case closed.

But the question remains; Hvornaar smager en Tuborg bedst?

Best regards
ratata
Sweden

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

As a software engineer, have you considered that A2A can't see your error logs and this may be extremely useful information for them to be able to troubleshoot the issue on your workstation? I have crashed, does not provide anywhere near as much detail as the name of the specific module that has crashed.

It could be another add-on for all that is known.

All you'll need to do is copy and paste the message here, it should only take a minute or two.

This could significantly narrow down the multitude of causes and helps to focus efforts on trying known resolutions.

-

For example, I was suffering a number of random reboots when running FSX that I could not nail down for a period of time. Turns out that I saw a series of errors in the Application and System event logs that pointed to a failing SATA controller on my MB. I swapped the cable on my SSD to another port on my MB and presto, problem solved.

This was the error I saw in my System log: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.

I was able to solve the problem in a few minutes with this knowledge instead of trying random ideas and blaming drivers, or overheating or whatever comes to mind...

Of course there are never any guarantees that it will help, but the amount of time required to provide the information is probably about as long as the time it took to write the last reply. Very little cost effort is a good start in my book.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I am a software developer too. I started my professional career in March 1976.

Every time I get a CTD in any game I check the Event Viewer. The latest entry is usually the crash and if not it is still easy to find. It will tell you which module had the problem and occasionally what the problem was.
Beyond that it's just standard stuff like REX Texture Direct, Essentials and HD Airports, ORBX and UTX. Nothing else.
That is a lot of add-ons.

Do you monitor VAS? I use Performance Monitor for that. Even if you never look at it during flight you can see after the crash if you suddenly went over the 4 gig limit. You won't always get an error message. Performance Monitor, click on the green plus icon, Process, Virtual Bytes and in the lower window add FSX (it must be running at the time). Uncheck the default display of processor time at the bottom right, check FSX, right click the display window, select Properties and adjust vertical scale under Graph (I use 2000 to 4000) and duration under General (I use 600 seconds).

This one is unlikely to be an A2A problem. It may be a FSX Steam Edition problem.

Hook

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

en tuborg smager aldrig godt..... :mrgreen:
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

What I mean when I say load is that the software itself has a finite number of loads before it will crash. Every time you reload a the sim be it for a time or weather or aircraft change thats one less you have before a crash. Its good practice to restart the sim between flights because of this.

Also regarding being a software engineer, having worked in the Business, Home, Education and now FS Industry in various roles, the idea that one works with the other isn't all that true. In each sector I've had to forget much of the last and learn new things and processes for the current sector.

Checking the basic troubleshooting window event viewer is 101 in the FS industry for troubleshooting. As it straight up will give you a large arrow as to what part of the system is having the error, be it a file within an add-on or a particular file within the host platform or indeed a windows issue. You can then easily use this information to move forward quickly or at least know the rabbit hole that might be opened if its something like a GD error or terrain dll issue.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”