Going in Circles

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
sfetbrandt
Airman Basic

Going in Circles

Post by sfetbrandt »

Hello, folks.... My "Subject" line above pretty much tells the story. My A2A C172 keeps trying to steer in tight circles to the left during ground ops. I get some minimal right-hand turning function with my joystick, but it requires full rotation of the joystick to the right. If I barely turn it to the left, I immediate and forcefully swing into a tight left-hand turn. Nothing I've done so far to clear out and reset the joystick bindings in P3Dv4 has helped. I've reset the bindings to default in the P3D Controls Panel, I've deleted the x,y and r bindings entirely, along with the "axis steering" bindings. I've made sure there were no conflicting bindings in FSUIPC, I've deleted all steering/rudder bindings in both FSUIPC in P3D, set all FSUIPC settings to "default" and likewise in P3D. I've uninstalled and reinstalled A2S C172 three times. Right before this problem cropped up a few days ago, I also reinstalled my FlightSimLabs A320-X and all the control functions were working perfectly. I'm obviously no computer whiz and don't know which config, xml or other files might need to be removed and/or rebuilt to get things squared away. I don't even know where to find them anymore, since I've reinstalled P3D and various add-on folders in different directories. Anyone got any suggestions how I can recover normal A2S C172 ground steering -- i.e., suggestions that don't involve scrapping every sim program on my computer and rebuilding from scratch yet again?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Going in Circles

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

which version of P3D are you on please?

Also are you on the latest installer if P3Dv4?

Just want to make sure you are all updated and correctly installed before we proceed as you mentioned re-installing the 172 several times which is always a bit of a no-no, its like fishing with dynamite to try to catch a single fish hehe, also given your description it sounds like the issue isn't with the 172. Anyway let me know what you are on and have so we can get you all correctly installed/updated and go from there.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

sfetbrandt
Airman Basic

Post by sfetbrandt »

Hi, Lewis....

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I'm currently using Prepar3D_v4_Professional_4.3.29.25520. I just re-installed it a few days ago and it works fine except for the steering situation. Back before this problem arose, I was able to ground steer my A320-X and simultaneously control the rudder with my joystick. I've lost that dual ability. The axis steering bindings are not taking effect using either P3D's Controls Panel or FSUIPC. I don't know if I'm just not using those utilities correctly or there's possibly some conflict going on between them. The FlightSimLabs A320 steers slowly and erratically and the A2A C172 steers in tight left circles most of the time, although sometimes I can turn the Cessna in the opposite direction with full right-hand input on the joystick. After I apply and release the brakes with the joystick trigger and add power, the Cessna moves straight ahead momentarily then suddenly veers hard left. While taxiing, I can track a straight line with the Cessna so long as I don't turn the joystick to the left. If I just barely turn it left, the aircraft swings hard left. I can sometimes bring it back right by holding the joystick full right, but the aircraft usually ends up making large S-turns until it eventually ends up in tight left hand circles with no control left.

Anyway.... That's the current situation as best I can describe it. Hope you've got some suggestions (other than reinstalling everything, 'cause I've been there, done that too many times and it's getting REALLY old!).

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Have you deleted ALL the axes and button presses for every controller you have, in the P3D controls section ?

This happened to me before... Had to go through all my controller settings ... key commands and axes, for EVERY controller. Took ages.

Then, assign in FSUIPC and calibrate.

If you cannot assign as a FSUIPC calibration, use the second option, " send as FS axis", and delete that axis in the calibration page.

Once you have it all running, set the controls.cfg file to Read Only, so it cannot reset itself - this was a real problem in FSX, but not so much in P3D, although it sometimes will try !

Good luck.
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

sfetbrandt
Airman Basic

Post by sfetbrandt »

I'll give it a try and let you know what happens. Thanks for the info!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

thanks for the information. The issue does sound like a control issue if all is ok in the maint hangar and you have performed a full reset of the aircraft in the hanager.

Just to check though you have been using the latest C172 Trainer installer from our new store?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

FlipS
Senior Airman

Post by FlipS »

Don't you use rudder pedals? If not, did you check Autorudder?

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

FlipS wrote:Don't you use rudder pedals? If not, did you check Autorudder?
Yes, auto rudder is another possible issue !

My control issues always stem from multiple assignments.

Even P3D will sometimes reset itself, and every single joystick (even my Saitek trim wheel) needs checking, to endure none of the buttons or axes are set in the main P3D settings. It takes ages !

Then, calibrate in FSUIPC, and SET THE CONTROLS.XML file to Read Only !!! Then, it cannot reset it. And then, just to make sure.... make a backup of it !

Good luck.

Let us know.
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

I’ve been down this road before too. If you are using FSUIPC to set and calibrate analog axes, just:

Controls -> Other -> Enable Controller(s) -> Untick

That’s much easier than hunting through all the controllers for auto-assigned controller inputs. Wish P3D would let us request that once and then not automatically do it again until we ask for it.

What I would see is controls that kind of flutter around when I moved them which was the difference between the FSUIPC control input commands and the native P3D inputs P3D was getting from various controllers it had assigned that axis to as well. Their controls menu has always been cumbersome at least to me but that feature is especially annoying.

But as soon as I disabled controllers in P3D and let FSUIPC handle it, everything works great.

Only caveat to watch out for is I saw a post that said if you do that you can lose the ability to control turbo boost in the P-47. Since we don’t have the '47 yet in v4, it’s not an issue now but hopefully doesn’t upset the apple cart when it does come available.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Yes, totally.

I forgot about my issue.

I use a Saitek yoke .... so, I need the Saitek drivers as I utilise the 3 mode system..... and I need the controller enabled for my hatswitch.... I have never got it to work through FSUIPC.

Now I have Chaseplane, finally, I may try it without.

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

..... but to be sure, it is all a quagmire though huh ?

Chaseplane seems awesome in many ways, but OMG, there are some bits that annoy me big time.

Fight simming eh, gotta love it .

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”