Problem C172 with Rudder Pedals (Saitek)

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Gianmarco
Airman Basic

Problem C172 with Rudder Pedals (Saitek)

Post by Gianmarco »

Hi everyone,
I've a problem, using the Saitek Joke Pro Flight System with rudder pedals that I set with FSUIPC for the various PMDG (cloche, throttle and pedals) and Airbus (only joystick with specific profile and no throttle using the settings set with PMDG and other aircraft), I noticed that using the pedal board during taxiing practically the aircraft does not turn with the consequent impossibility of moving on the ground. I see that then giving a foot, left or right (always on the ground), I have the tool of the "turn and slip indicator" that signals me as if making a turn tending in the direction of which I apply the thrust of the foot (right -> right). This should not happen ...
What do you think could depend on you? Is there a particular setting to fix this problem?
Thank you.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Problem C172 with Rudder Pedals (Saitek)

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Gianmarco and welcome to the forums.

To help us provide the most relevant advice, please can you let us know exactly which host simulator you have the C172 installed in?

If you're using Prepar3D v4, please can you also confirm where you downloaded the C712 installer from and roughly how long ago?

Thanks,
Nick

Gianmarco
Airman Basic

Post by Gianmarco »

Hi Nick,
I am using Prepar3D v4 and i have installed the program for about a month.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Gianmarco,

Please can you let us know the installed version number of the C172 in the Windows "apps & features" or "uninstall or change a program" window? It should show 18.4.22.0.

The same version number can also be verified in the file properties of the installer .exe file itself.

Also, do you have any other A2A add-ons installed, or just the 172?

Cheers,
Nick

Gianmarco
Airman Basic

Post by Gianmarco »

I have version 18.4.22.0 of C172 and i have installed also C182 Skylane .

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the info.

Please can you try temporarily disabling FSUIPC (just move the FSUIPC5.dll into a different folder) and the assign the rudder axis and brake pedals in Prepar3D itself. After doing this, try taxiing both with and without differential braking and check if there's any difference. For example, does the nose wheel itself move left or right at all?

Also, are you using any other software which affects aircraft handling (e.g. EZdok)?

Thanks,
Nick

Gianmarco
Airman Basic

Post by Gianmarco »

Yes, I use EZdok, could he be the cause?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I'd definitely recommend you try with EZdok globally disabled via the add-ons menu.

If you've previously had older versions of the C172 or C182 installed (using the old installers) I recommend you try reinstalling with the current installer too.

Finally, please can you confirm if there's any steering input from the nosewheel (say at 1100 RPM with full rudder input) or if it's just less responsive than you expect based on other add-ons?

Thanks,
Nick

Gianmarco
Airman Basic

Post by Gianmarco »

I tried to disable EZdok but I always have the problem that tends to turn very slowly, I see the pedals move at the bottom of the course but the aircraft turns slightly, I do not know if it is normal compared to other non-category GA.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

If you use differential braking to tighten the turns does it tighten the turn radius?

This is normal behaviour for the 172 and 182 as they use a bungee linkage between the nose wheel.and the rudder pedals.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Gianmarco
Airman Basic

Post by Gianmarco »

Oracle427 wrote:If you use differential braking to tighten the turns does it tighten the turn radius?

This is normal behaviour for the 172 and 182 as they use a bungee linkage between the nose wheel.and the rudder pedals.
Currently to shoot the little that allows me (really very little) I can do it using only differential brakes. I believe it should not be so in reality. I can not figure out what this problem I'm having can depend on.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

In reality, it is generally necessary to apply a little differential braking to navigate turns on taxiways. Nothing unusual about that.

Just little touches here and there to tighten the turn. Not clear if that is what you are seeing in sim.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Gianmarco,

Please can you try to quantify the current turning radius of the 182 in your installation? For example, with full rudder input and no differential braking you should be able to make a 180° turn using the full width of a large runway at a slow taxi speed (walking pace). For example, you could try this on runway 4L at KJFK, taxi to the runway edge and see if you're able to make a full reversal without running of the other edge.

As mentioned, if you've previously had older versions of the C172 or C182 installed (using the old installers) I recommend you try reinstalling with the current installer too.

Thanks,
Nick

Gianmarco
Airman Basic

Post by Gianmarco »

Hi,
I solved the problem by uninstalling the C182 and installing the C172 again. Now it seems to work all right. I also uninstalled EZdok to switch to Chaseplan.
Thanks for support.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”