Program not getting installed

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Hanratty131
Airman Basic

Program not getting installed

Post by Hanratty131 »

Hi there. I'm beginning my flight training to get my private pilot's license and bought this program. I've never been a member of the Steam community and I've never used Flight Simulator. I just bought and downloaded those programs and then bought your c172 add on program and installed it (I was careful not to have FSX running during the A2A program install). Then when I opened up Steam and went to 'Add a Game' the only thing I could find to add was 'C172 Input Configurator'. It doesn't look like anything else was installed. Where did I go wrong? Thanks.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Program not getting installed

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello and welcome to the A2A forums Hanratty131.

If you've successfully installed the Steam Edition of Microsoft Flight Simulator X, and you subsequently installed the Accu-Sim C172, it should be available within the list of FSX airplanes. This is generally accessed through the 'Free Flight' menu.

If you're brand new to the FSX platform, it may be worth spending a little bit of time getting to grips with the basics of the sim before you dive into the A2A Cessna. Have you been able to load a flight successfully using one of the default aircraft?

The first step in troubleshooting any apparently missing bits of the A2A installation would be to download and run the Accu-Sim update for FSX which is available here.

Thanks,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

just to add to Nicks response, you don't need to go to steams add a game as the software you purchased is not steam software. Once installed into your FSX Simulation all you need to do is simply start FSX up and the Accu-sim C172 Trainer simulation will be in your aircraft selection list.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Pmac
Airman Basic

Post by Pmac »

I have tried searching the forums with no luck, perhaps I have missed this topic if it's already been covered (and if so, could you direct me to it please).

I have downloaded the A2A C172 Trainer, ran the installer with no issues. When I choose "Select Aircraft", the A2A Trainer does not show up.

Came onto the forum and found the link for the latest update, and installed. During the patch installation, the A2A Trainer was "found", and properly updated.

Did I install the Trainer in the wrong folder perhaps? I found the Steam Library-Common-FSX folder and chose that for the A2A installation.

Any help you may be able to give would be much appreciated. I'm excited to fly this plane!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Pmac and welcome to the A2A forums.

It's possible the installation could have gone awry if you previously had the disk version of FSX installed on your PC. If you browse to the "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes" directory, is there an "A2A_C172" folder present?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Pmac,

Its been a while since I used Steam but, when you ran the installer did it show you the install path which should have been something like:

Steam\steamapps\common\fsx\simobjects\airplanes

You can follow that progression to see if there is anything A2A installed. If not maybe try running the installer again and point to the above location.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Oh Heck, posted on top of Nick...sorry mate😂

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

No worries Jacques. :)

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Pmac
Airman Basic

Post by Pmac »

Nick and Jacques,

Thanks for the quick response! Was not expecting one so soon. So I took a look at what you pointed me to, and realized I had installed it initially in the general FSX folder. I deleted the A2A folder, rebooted my computer, and then re-installed to the path Steam Library->steamapps->common->fsx->SimObjects->Airplanes. I can see the A2A folder there, with the Cessna 172 folder inside the A2A folder.

Still no plane shows up when I load up FSX and go to select an aircraft.

Apologies for my struggles, this is the first time I've tried to mod FSX (and anygame withing Steam), so I know I'm messing something up somehow.

Does it make a difference if the game is not installed on my C: drive? I have installed the plane into the same drive as the game, and when I run your update patch it finds the plane when searching through the updated planes.

Thanks again for the help!

Pmac
Airman Basic

Post by Pmac »

I just compared the A2A folder with other aircraft, and noticed that most aircraft have folders such as "textures", "models", "panels", etc.

The A2A folder just has the manual and a folder called tools. Did I somehow install the wrong file?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Pmac,

No need to apologise. It sounds like you may just have pointed the installer at a few directories too deep. I suggest you uninstall and then reinstall. This time, if the installer doesn't auto-detect the installation path (generally a result of a problem with the Windows registry) please point the installer to the main FSX directory. In other words, "Steam\steamapps\common\FSX".

No problem with installing the Steam Library somewhere other than on C: by the way. I just used that path above as it's the Steam default.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Pmac
Airman Basic

Post by Pmac »

It worked! Thanks again for all the help.

I thought I had initially installed it into the FSX folder, but apparently not. Just a case of improper path chosing.

About to take her out for a quick spin before I dive into the deep depth of detail!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome! Good to hear you're in business and hope you enjoy the Skyhawk. :)

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Pmac
Airman Basic

Post by Pmac »

Just wanted to update you guys - been loving the C-172 Cessna now that I have had it working for some time! Thanks again for all the help!

It's been a blast using your plane to start teaching myself the basics of flight, I'm getting hooked!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great to hear, glad you are enjoying the simulation and have had a fair few months now of virtual flying fun 8)

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”