Flight1 G500/600 Altitude Incorrect

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Clockwork
Airman Basic

Flight1 G500/600 Altitude Incorrect

Post by Clockwork »

Hi Everyone,

I have been over on the Flight1 forums regarding this, but they suggested I post over here. I am running P3D v4 with the A2A C172 Trainer and the Flight1 GTN Complete (650) and Flight1 G500. I am having trouble with the G500 displaying the correct altitude. I can take the G500 and put it on a default P3D plane and it work perfectly, but on the A2A C172 Trainer the altitude is always off. The same barro setting is set on the G500, Altimeter and Autopilot, but the G500 is always different than the other 2. The main issue is the autopilot is flying based on the A2A altimeter and not the G500. Any help would be much appreciated. Screenshot is attached.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Flight1 G500/600 Altitude Incorrect

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Clockwork,

Integration of the Garmin G500/600 isn't supported in the C172 as the aircraft uses quite a few custom panel variables.

Having said that, I'm a bit surprised to see an issue with altitude. Seems the barometric correction isn't properly being applied. It's not possible to make out the Kolsmann window setting in your screenshot, but I'm wondering what happens if you press 'B' to automatically reset the altimeters? In any case, I presume the correct altitude in your screenshot (as shown by Shift Z) was 2140 feet.

I'm guessing there are some options in the G500 configuration menu which may override native sim settings, but afraid I'm not familiar with the Flight1 add-on in question.

Thanks,
Nick

Clockwork
Airman Basic

Post by Clockwork »

Hi Nick,

Yeah, I know it is not officially supported, just figured the windowed version would get me closer to my real panel.

So I went to get a quick screenshot with the Shift Z for you. It looks like the dash is correct and the G500 is the one that is off a bit. See screenshot below. The odd thing is to get this I had first loaded in and the default pressure coming is was set to 29.92 and both the dash and G500 matched. When I moved the barrow they stayed in sync. I then exited change to a different type of weather "Stormy" to make sure I loaded with a different pressure and then took the below screenshot. It is like they are booting with different barros set and need to be synced to 29.92 before the g500 boots. Does that make sense?

Clockwork
Airman Basic

Post by Clockwork »

*UPDATE*

Alright, so I did a bit more testing. I did find something that did help. This is a bit odd.

1) I booted up and barro was set to 92.81.
2) Then booted the G500 and the altitudes did not match.
3) Then I set to panel barrow to 29.92.
4) Then on the G500 I selected barro and middle mouse clicked on the knob which sets the barro to 29.92. Now both match!
5) Then I turn the barro on the panel to change the setting and everything syncs and works fine.
6) Then I turn the barro using the G500 and it immediately jumps up 100+ feet and is not correct. **UPADATE** This seems to only happen if I use the mouse scroll wheel quickly on the G500. If I go slow it all stays synced up. **UPDATE**

I think it has something to do with the G500 setting the barro. Not sure how all that works. Let me know if you want me to try something different.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the added info Clockwork. It sounds to me like you've managed to find a workaround for the issue (i.e. making sure you don't turn the baro knob on the G500 too quickly.) I'm still curious about what happens if you 'cheat' and press the B key to automatically adjust the altimeter for barometric pressure.

Sorry I can't be more help, but without being able to experiment with the product in question it's hard to understand what's going on. Perhaps the behaviour you describe may be of some help to the Flight1 guys though?

Cheers,
Nick

Clockwork
Airman Basic

Post by Clockwork »

Hi Nick,

Yeah, I think the workaround will work.

The 'B' does not work unless I first set both to 29.92 and get them synced. Then if I hit 'B' it works.

I posed over on the Flight1 forums and they did not have anything that would help either. It would be nice to use the barro on the G500, but I have no problem using the dash instead. Just have to remember ;)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay thanks - hope you're able to use the Flight1 product with the 172 successfully in that case. Please drop us a line if you have any further issues with it: although we can't guarantee to help with unsupported products, we'll do our best.

Cheers,
Nick

Clockwork
Airman Basic

Post by Clockwork »

Hi everyone,

Just head back on the Flight1 forums and they were able to duplicate the issue and came up with a fix. It should be in the next G600/500 update. Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully the update comes soon :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good to hear, just so you are aware we had contact with F1 via email about this issue you had raised so thanks for post here and at F1 documenting your experiences and troubleshooting.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Clockwork
Airman Basic

Post by Clockwork »

Hi Lewis,

That is great to hear that you guys works so closely. Love both of your products and excited to really start getting some great IFR practice with my exact avionics suite!

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”