Flight Dynamic Quibbles

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
VolksytheBug
Airman

Flight Dynamic Quibbles

Post by VolksytheBug »

Hi there!

First off, I would like to say what an impressive piece of software the A2A Cherokee is. It looks, sounds and flies almost exactly like the real 180 that I regularly fly. I do say almost, however, because I've been having several minor issues with the flight dynamics.

Firstly, when I flare for landing about six above the runway like you learn in flight school, the A2A Cherokee porpises and floats like crazy. Rather than bleeding off speed and sinking to the runway as it should, the plane balloons back up probably twenty feet.

Next, when flying straight and level, over the span of about half a minute the aircraft slowly rolls to the right. Although the real plane does need constant adjustments to the flight controls, I can attest that it does not roll in the way that the sim does.

Finally, when trimming the aircraft, the handle and thus the trim response moves INCREDIBLY slow, less than a full turn every twenty seconds. This makes it extremely difficult to set the airplane up for cruise flight, landing, etc. in a timely fashion.

Well then, thank you for listening to my ungrateful-sounding gripes and your responses.

Happy flying!
Noah

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Flight Dynamic Quibbles

Post by taildraggin68 »

I don't know which model of the 180 you regularly fly, so it would hard be say for sure but....

Floating at the flare is usually the result of too much airspeed.

Right turn tendency...maybe rudder trim as the plane should demonstrate a "left" turn tendency which is reduced as power settings are reduced and just a smidge of rudder trim would keep it manageable hand flying.

Trim is a known issue and you can find work-arounds on the forum depending on your controller setup.

The airplane does fly exactly as the manual says it should and corresponds well with the model Cherokee that was used.

Have fun and get to know her....just like the cherokee next to the one you fly on the ramp is going to behave just a bit different as yours, the A2A cherokee has a personality of her own. :D

VolksytheBug
Airman

Post by VolksytheBug »

Thank you so much for the great info and a timely response. I'll get right on your suggestions!

VolksytheBug
Airman

Post by VolksytheBug »

Please excuse my ignorance, but I haven't been able to find any of the threads involving the trim settings. Could someone please point me towards them?
As always, thanks!

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Another tip, remember to switch fuel tanks when flying. That certainly can induce some roll.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Having flown PA-28-161's, I'd say the flight dynamics are pretty much spot on. You need to watch your speeds on approach, and trim accordingly. I use neutral trim for take-off and landing, and wind the trimmer nose down as speeds rise, usually no further than around the first mark nose down. I usually fly with only the pilot loaded, and as such, you would need to watch the trim in roll by keeping the left tank emptier than the right tank. Bear in mind that your controllers will affect how it flies, so keep them calibrated properly.

My one quibble with the FD on the Cherokee is that in the real world, you need to use a lot more right rudder on high power settings such as take off and climb out. In my opinion, Hawke Keitel's Pipers are better in this regard. I believe he achieves this by offsetting the engine.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

L.A.
Senior Airman

Post by L.A. »

Dogsbody55 wrote:Having flown PA-28-161's, I'd say the flight dynamics are pretty much spot on. You need to watch your speeds on approach, and trim accordingly. I use neutral trim for take-off and landing, and wind the trimmer nose down as speeds rise, usually no further than around the first mark nose down. I usually fly with only the pilot loaded, and as such, you would need to watch the trim in roll by keeping the left tank emptier than the right tank. Bear in mind that your controllers will affect how it flies, so keep them calibrated properly.

My one quibble with the FD on the Cherokee is that in the real world, you need to use a lot more right rudder on high power settings such as take off and climb out. In my opinion, Hawke Keitel's Pipers are better in this regard. I believe he achieves this by offsetting the engine.
I don't know what effect, offsetting an engine in FSX has...............or if it's just a check box to check, to mimic an offset, but offsetting the engine to the right, which most Pipers have, will lessen the need for right rudder just a bit. As you've mentioned, you'll still need it for the takeoff and initial climb. I remember sitting in the back seat of a PA-28-161 for my daughters first flight lesson. I mentioned the need for right rudder pedal............or she'd be running over the left side runway lights.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”