Right On!

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
rb5235
Airman Basic

Right On!

Post by rb5235 »

I would first like to thank everyone on the A2A team that worked on the Piper Cherokee 180.
I want go into much of my background in aviation at this time other than I am a private pilot with time in both Piper and Cessnas.
I owned a Cherokee and also did much of my early training in a Cherokee 140. I have been into FS from when Sublogic was around.

You guys did a outstanding job with the A2A Cherokee 180! This thing is spot-on with the way it flies and handles, I can't stop flying it.
I don't even know and find it hard to believe how well you modeled the characteristic of this aircraft. I bought the 180 a week ago and have put 24.60 hours on it.
The only bone I have to pick with you is I keep trying to find that smell of the cockpit. Every plane has a different smell it gains with time and use.
This thing takes me back to all the fun hours I had flying my Cherokee and I sure recall the smell it had. As I am flying this superb aircraft I keep thinking any minute I will smell that old 1969 Cherokee.

With out a doubt the Cherokee 180 is one of the best all around aircrafts that Piper ever built or anyone else. Affordable to buy and maintain, we use to say with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver you can fix the dang things and Lord help you if you need a hammer. I installed the KNots 2U flaps, aileron gap seals, and wing root fairing speed mod's on my Cherokee too.
I must say I like the newer layout that Piper went to in the late 60's with the T-handle throttle and the tachometer to the left of it.

You guys keep doing what your doing I'm sure the new Cessna 182 must be one fine bird too.

If you find time how about a Piper Arrow or Comanche and for a twin, PA-30 Comanche.

I have not had this much fun flying since flying, training and working on Cherokees with Lt. Commander US Navy Retired, Roy Riser at KMHP.
Mr Roy had over 50K hours time with many others not logged and probably 30K of those was in Piper's. Mr. Roy has not one but two Distinguished Flying Cross from WW11. He is now 93 years old and as of this past summer was still flying out of 8A3.

Thanks A2A Team!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Right On!

Post by Scott - A2A »

rb5235,

Thanks for taking the time to post, as this means a lot to us and the other Accu-Sim Cherokee owners.. My first plane was a 1978 Cherokee Warrior, with the tapered wing. When we started researching the Cherokee, we flew a bunch of models including the warrior, archer, Cherokee 140/160, and the Cherokee 180. And hands down, in our opinion, the Cherokee 180 was, as Mitchell Glicksman put it in the manual, the "Goldilocks" of all Cherokees.

The constant chord wing is just a marvel of a design, for low to mid altitudes. The wing and aircraft feels so balanced. There is also the convenience factor of having a short wing, when it comes to fitting it into hangars.

My son is 14 and we plan to have him ready to solo for 16. I can't think of a better plane for him to operate, than a Cherokee. I want him to train on a 172, and operate a Cherokee. When you consider how the Cherokee handles, especially in stalls, it's still ahead of it's time.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Nice post rb - welcome to the forums! I haven't flown a Cherokee for real (or anything else for that matter) but there's still something about A2A's version that speaks to me. I have a hard time to tell how much of it is 'Piper Magic' and how much is 'A2A Magic'! :) I can't testify to the accuracy of the flight model, but the visual and audible environment in the virtual cockpit is the most atmospheric and immersive I've experienced in FSX... Somehow it really feels 'three dimensional'.

The Skylane is great too, but I certainly won't be neglecting my old Cherokee!

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

bitchinbetty
Airman

Post by bitchinbetty »

I didn't really fully appreciate Scott's comment 'stubborn little Cherokee' in the 180 video until I started practicing stalls in the Warrior. It truly is a stubborn aircraft that refuses to accept a stall scenario unless aggressive tactics are used.

The physics are very realistic. The only point I've noticed is that the real pa28 will coast along the ground with idle power and in fact requires a little riding of the brake at times to keep it restrained. That is accentuated when the aircraft in question idles a bit higher or there is a slight tail wind. The a2a requires a bit of power to 'keep rolling' whereas the real one will require little input. I suspect this could be more of a p3d physics limitation or could even be sticky brake inputs from fsuipc.

Despite my purchase of the 182 I find myself naturally migrating back to the low wing wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”