Unrealistic crosswind takeoff rudder control input?

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
Precog
Airman Basic

Unrealistic crosswind takeoff rudder control input?

Post by Precog »

Hi there, loving the cherokee in prepar3d btw :)

Just got some rudder pedals so have been practicing crosswind (16kts) takeoffs. With the wind coming perpendicular from the left, right rudder is needed to keep tracking centered. Problem is more and more rudder is needed as airspeed increases. Is this normal? As my real life pilot training manual states : 'A crosswind from the left will require right rudder to counteract the weathercock into the wind - more rudder at slow speeds and less as the airflow over the rudder increases! Im finding the exact opposite. Same thing happens if taking off with right crosswind. Ive also replicate the same problem in the Cessna 172.

Am i missing something here?

Thanks, Richard

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Unrealistic crosswind takeoff rudder control input?

Post by Oracle427 »

As your airspeed increases and the wings generate more lift, the weight on the wheels will decrease and traction will diminish. The aircraft will begin to drift sideways downwind unless you apply aileron input into the wind to force the upwind tire down onto the runway and "anchor" the aircraft. Later as the aircraft reaches flying airspeed, the downwind wheel should lift off the ground prior to the upwind wheel with the aircraft banked into the wind in a slip. As you get airborne you promptly take out the slip and turn the airplane to the proper crab angle to climb out along the runway centerline.

If you are only using rudder, I would assume that you are finding yourself tracking down the runway in an increasing crab angle as you get faster? Try applying full aileron into the wind and take it out gradually to counteract the tendency to drift along with the rudder. This should significantly reduce the amount of rudder required and is also the real world technique.

FSX is not very good at modeling ground handling and the aircraft slide around a little too easily even with much weaker crosswinds. However, A direct 16 knot crosswind would be challenging to fly in a 172 IRL.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Sounds lIke a sim issue
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Yes, FSX seems to exaggerate the weathervaning effect, pointing it into the wind when on the ground.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Precog
Airman Basic

Post by Precog »

Thanks for the reply.

Applying alieron into the wind seems to have little effect as you speed up down the runway in the sim. So in the real world, less rudder is used as speed increases in a crosswind take off?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

It depends, possibly more. Be aware, at landing speeds with a direct 15 kts crosswind, you may find you need full rudder to keep the plane straight. As you slow down and your wheels get more grip, the amount of rudder would be less.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Scott - A2A wrote:It depends, possibly more. Be aware, at landing speeds with a direct 15 kts crosswind, you may find you need full rudder to keep the plane straight. As you slow down and your wheels get more grip, the amount of rudder would be less.

Scott.
That's what I experience in real world flying. The slower you get the less ruder you need. At least with tricycle gear planes. Taildraggers are a totally different story...
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

U can try adjusting hour rudder sensitivity also
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Marco Aurelio
Airman

Post by Marco Aurelio »

[quote="Precog"]Hi there, loving the cherokee in prepar3d btw :)

Just got some rudder pedals so have been practicing crosswind (16kts) takeoffs. With the wind coming perpendicular from the left, right rudder is needed to keep tracking centered. Problem is more and more rudder is needed as airspeed increases. Is this normal? As my real life pilot training manual states : 'A crosswind from the left will require right rudder to counteract the weathercock into the wind - more rudder at slow speeds and less as the airflow over the rudder increases! Im finding the exact opposite. Same thing happens if taking off with right crosswind. Ive also replicate the same problem in the Cessna 172.

Am i missing something here?

Thanks, Richard[/quote

Hi Precog,

As Scott said, the FSX has an exagerated even so unrealistic behavior on cross wind conditions ! It makes the aircraft weathernave exaggeratedly even uncontrollable.

You can and need to do two things :

1 - Set up your weather add-on initially to a wind surface value of 0 knots and gradually increase to a maximum 5 knots.....wait a minute let me explain....think about as reference values (scaled values) not actual values. Cherokee has a cross wind component around 16 knots. But don't think the FSX manages this realistically.

2 - Calibrate your pedals to less action......I recommend FSUIPC....it is very useful !

After that you'll do better take-offs and landings.

Warmly,

Marco Aurélio

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”