AutoPilot

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

AutoPilot

Post by RotorWash »

Hi All

Stabiliser/Wing leveler mode, when, why & what for ? Usefulness seems to be limited to holding patterns, or perhaps not ? Does anybody use this mode for anything specific ?

Cheers

SpitfireMelodeon
Senior Airman

Re: AutoPilot

Post by SpitfireMelodeon »

I use it on cross country to give my arm a rest when sightseeing

Cheers and Beers
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

SpitfireMelodeon wrote:I use it on cross country to give my arm a rest when sightseeing

Cheers and Beers
Pretty much spot on, in the real world of aviation in particular GA there are some massive differences to how simmers tend to fly. AP's show this up quite a bit in the difference. The arm rest ability of AP's in GA's and the various modes to allow this on different phases of flight and or different types of flying cannot be underestimated. Just like how Cruise control in a modern car allows you to rest and stretch your foot a little, only a hell of a lot more in the aeroplane hehe. :mrgreen:

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

Lewis - A2A wrote:
SpitfireMelodeon wrote:I use it on cross country to give my arm a rest when sightseeing

Cheers and Beers
Pretty much spot on, in the real world of aviation in particular GA there are some massive differences to how simmers tend to fly. AP's show this up quite a bit in the difference. The arm rest ability of AP's in GA's and the various modes to allow this on different phases of flight and or different types of flying cannot be underestimated. Just like how Cruise control in a modern car allows you to rest and stretch your foot a little, only a hell of a lot more in the aeroplane hehe. :mrgreen:

thanks,
Lewis
Yep, the old arm deffinately needs a breather occasionally on them long hauls, might have to knotch back the force feedback back a bit, on that old sidewinder lol. Why not just use heading hold in this example, even with a gentle crosswind, stab mode tends to drift quite significantly ? The only thing I can think of that the other mode's would not achieve as well, is a circular holding pattern. Had a flight over the Whitsunday islands the other night, used stab mode with a fair bit of bank dialed in, to hold a recon pattern, had most the islands I'd in no time. Even had time to climb out on the wing for a quick smoke (yeah,I know, it's bad for ya), falling of the wing at 2000', that is lol. 8)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

The ST mode allows for much more smooth following of terrain features, the heading select is quite jerky way to do wide turns, plus the bank angles it uses often require one to relieve the elevator servo by trimming. I like flying with ST mode in VFR, it's very useful!

-Esa

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

AKar wrote:The ST mode allows for much more smooth following of terrain features, the heading select is quite jerky way to do wide turns, plus the bank angles it uses often require one to relieve the elevator servo by trimming. I like flying with ST mode in VFR, it's very useful!

-Esa
Great feedback, I like that one, I've been using H/H to fly terrain & avoid clouds, ST mode would be a far more logical option, done. :D

Cheers

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I'll use St mode for short breaks if I'm not tracking a vor. It's great for a quick trip to the bathroom or fridge.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”