If I had one wish... knots!

The Low Wing Wonder
ark1320
Airman

Re: If I had one wish... knots!

Post by ark1320 »

I would appreciate getting the files for the ASI gauge in knots and the ADF card fix if they are still available.
Thx much,
Al
arklayton at comcast dot net

Update: Downloaded the files from Dropbox -- thanks for the link taildraggin68, and thank you Brett.
Last edited by ark1320 on 01 Sep 2014, 09:15, edited 2 times in total.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Mike,

I'm sorry - I missed your reply earlier! :) Yes, I'm quite familiar with nautical mile, and think in knots and feet when talking about aviation as they are the standard. My comment was more tongue in cheek. :)

Due to some sunk-in education in engineering and and related physics, I hardly think in anything else but in SI outside the aviation. There I've got no problems with knots and feet, though having flown with mph, kph and meters too, I don't think its too hard to adjust. Anyways, yes the nautical mile is historically one of the least arbitrary units (today though it is defined as an measure of exactly 1852 meters).

The units and their choices could make an interesting discussion. It could be argued, that while nautical mile relates nicely to the degree-based coordinate system, many other concepts benefit from the way the SI stuff makes the mathematical descriptions of the natural phenomena (called stupidly the laws of physics) work in neat way with minimum additional constants that are relevant case-by-case only. But that's way beyond discussing ASIs anyway! :)

-Esa

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Hi Esa,

Working between Asia and the U.S. in engineering is an interesting journey in conversions between S.I. units and the in/ft/lb/mile system used in the U.S. I would agree S.I. units are definitely easier! Having grown up with miles, educated with meters, and flown with knots I initially wondered why knots was used in aviation. Hence the result of the investigation was the history of the nautical mile. I couldn't restrain myself when the opportunity presented itself to regurgitate that knowledge. :lol:

:D

Mike

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Mike,

Thanks for answering. :) As I've been studied with some US written text books, and certainly with US written technical data, I understand that conversions between the units you use and the SI units is specifically pointed out in your education. In my European (more precisely, Finnish) education, the SI units are almost de jure way of noting measures as they quite nicely make extremely simplified formulae of most physical issues without any additional constants except those found in Euler's and Pi. The remaining constants are almost exclusively the ones that are related to empirical relationships, that is, in my language, what we don't know yet, and exclusive to individual formulae (though those including some very important ones). But the fact that US relies on partly different unit system is merely worth of a conversation table.

While the SI units are basically that the physic language has been written for, I find that lack of attention in education for other systems in use a bit unfortunate in here in Europe. This is because I find the lack of intuition being the worst possible flaw in engineering, and yet we allow for that (even if the SI was perfect and the imperial system being currently defined according to it :mrgreen: ). For that the some other cultures see some other numeric figures as being the intuitive ones. Whether they were approximates or not as per our current religion, that being, the physics. Whether that another culture was as close as the American one or not.

-Esa

Thomatje
Airman Basic

Post by Thomatje »

Hey guys.

I just came here to look if there is any kind of knots modification... Now it seems my timing is quite good and I can consider myself lucky. :D

Could anybody please send me that tiny great file making my flying experience so much as what I am used to? Thanks very much :)

karo dot schachtel at gmail dot com

And again thank you

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Thomatje wrote:Hey guys.

I just came here to look if there is any kind of knots modification... Now it seems my timing is quite good and I can consider myself lucky. :D

Could anybody please send me that tiny great file making my flying experience so much as what I am used to? Thanks very much :)

karo dot schachtel at gmail dot com

And again thank you

You can grab those files here

Thomatje
Airman Basic

Post by Thomatje »

Once again thank you. Now I can fly that thing completely in the way I am used to. :)

gbinoz
Airman

Post by gbinoz »

Any chance of making this post a sticky?
It's really getting buried quite deep.
I sure this knots panel will be always of interest to a lot of new 180 owners.

gb.
YSSY

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Out of curiosity, now that came up - on what basis one can change an instrument such as an airspeed indicator in the real airplane (assuming it is to remain type certified) under FAA? By quick checking, I can't find any requirements concerning the units that should be used in airspeed indicators, however, in general, required data (manuals, placards, TCDS etc) are printed in those units that are used thorough in that airplane, and generally those are formal 'documents' that cannot be altered just like that. I can't see why one would want to, or even could be allowed to, have his/her instruments in different units that the approved data uses and provides.

-Esa

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

This is a nice mod...

An issue though. I've got a mod for the attitude indicator too and these files erases that.

Is there a way to have both the ASI and AI mods at the same time?

Additionally I've noticed the ASI mod textures are a bit screwed up... I've had this happen before when I tried to use a dds texture for texture work. Open the main file in DXTBMP and you'll see the pixelated gauges. I've opened the original file (and also the attitude indicator mod) - both of those gauge textures are normal.

edit: Well I partially allowed the two gauges in the same mod... but I'm having an issue with the LM bmp file... I'm getting double images on some gauges after the edit. Not sure why.

edit again: sort of fixed the LM issue... but I think I have an alignment problem. When copying the new ASI texture onto the AI lightmap file I must be slightly off... it's creating a double image so to speak. Anyone know how to make a copy of a polygon in PS with precision?

You can see what happens when I turn on the instrument lighting:

Finally got it figured out... used guidelines in PS to align the new LM. I'm not the original author of the ASI mod but people should always use a good source file... you can see the quality deteriorate especially at night.

garylaw
Airman Basic

Post by garylaw »

I would appreciate if you are so kind to send us the link for the ASI gauge in knots and the ADF card fix, thanks!

My email is : garylaw1986(at)gmail(dot)com

gbinoz
Airman

Post by gbinoz »

Just wondering if either of the knots panels mentioned above still work/look good with the latest update that adds the AP buttons to the dash when the yoke is removed?

Thanks,
gb.
YSSY

DarrianCZE
Airman Basic

Post by DarrianCZE »

Hello guys :-) Could you please e-mail me the lastest version of this mod? :-)

And what AI mod is actually correcting? :-)

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”