Cherokee 180 using Baskins' N6316J Paint?

The Low Wing Wonder
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cherokee 180 using Baskins' N6316J Paint?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great shots, and those are some very lazy co-pilots you have there lol :mrgreen: 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

They're the worst. I've been busy the last few days but I should hopefully squeeze in the next leg of the flight over the weekend.

-stefan

LarryCFII
Airman

Post by LarryCFII »

shortspecialbus wrote:They're the worst. I've been busy the last few days but I should hopefully squeeze in the next leg of the flight over the weekend.

-stefan

stephan I hope your new Cherokee is performing well as you make your jouney. She was always good to me. :mrgreen: I am following your flights with interest. Blue skies. !!!!

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Ok - I did a short flight from C29 to KSBM with a brief detour over my house to see if my new (old) landclass improves things. The short version is it does improve things greatly, but it's not perfect and it's very out of date. It's missing the town near my house (which isn't a new town) and Madison cuts off very early. I remembered I had a copy of the FSGenesis US Landclass on my NAS, so I grabbed that and threw it on, and it'll have to do until FTX OpenLC USA/Mexico is released. You'll see a marked difference around my house - aside from missing Black Earth entirely and having Mazomanie not quite in the right spot, it's significantly better.

Once again, we have an album (I trimmed down to 35 pictures this time) with high res linked here, and I'll direct link a few pictures again. Couple things to note - I guess my yoke changed UUID or something so FSUIPC wasn't recognizing the buttons somehow and as such I didn't have many screenshots around the takeoff and such. I figured it out fairly early when the autopilot buttons didn't do anything, circled back to my house, and continued the flight, so you only get one screenshot from before takeoff, which nicely demonstrates the fog effect (even with the window open and the door cracked!) I also note that I tend to be outside on nice days, and since I'm currently flying around where I actually live, the weather in flightsim is lousy :) Hopefully that'll change at some point. I shouldn't be doing these VFR really.

Album link: http://imgur.com/a/qygiK

Some individual pictures:

Window fog

My house would be here, on the road in the bright green patch. This is way better landclass than the default garbage. Snazzy Wheelpants and Wing Root fairings, by the way!

It really is so much better. Still a lot of room for improvement.

Perfect VFR weather, totally legal

How dare you imply this isn't VFR!

Two things wrong in this picture - 1.) the black thing in the water - I had that a lot and need to figure the cause out. 2.) Southern Wisconsin doesn't have snow normally at this time of year. Seriously, we're not Canada :( Nothing to be done about this though.

My parents live down here

Short final to KSBM. The papi says I'm high, but the barn says otherwise

Guess the PAPI decided it was done for the day on short final. It lied anyways, no great loss, right?

Very wet.

I think I'm gonna take a few flights somewhere with nicer weather. Yeesh. Hope you enjoyed them again! Again the album has way more and a much higher resolution.

-stefan

LarryCFII
Airman

Post by LarryCFII »

Stefan..... FANTASTIC shots and a wonderful explanation... your sim is truly amazing, my friend. It is so nice to see "Juliet" making such adventures. I am just getting into the mind set of a simulated world... It is truly amazing and your example is compelling.

I have a limited understanding of the sim world in terms of add ons and settings... I have REX and FTX Global, but nothing else... and I am still trying to figure out how to make best use of them and to see how they overlay the sim and create the situation I desire.. I don't know if I'm getting weather from FSX, REX or FTX at times.... seems confusing. But, I am learning little by little.

Great fun and quite realistic now compared to the default scenery in FSX...

I did fly two IFR trips from KSPI, Springfield, IL to KAAA, Lincoln, IL (my home airport) today. Quite amazing with ATC giving radar vectors for the approach to KAAA... Amazing.

Looking forward to all your stories... I am saving all the photos too. Thanks so much.... Larry

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

If you have any specific questions with getting the sim set up, let me know and I'm happy to walk you through some stuff. A forum pm is fine, otherwise send me an email at ssb @ my username on these forums dot com and we'll get you happy with your sim. Glad you liked the shots!!

-stefan

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

It might be a few days before I get the next leg in. I've been spending my little sim time learning how to fly the 182 in Norway recently, and tooling about a bit in Sedona and Telluride as well with some really short flights, so 16J has been taking a bit of a nap at KSBM hangar. Weather will be too nice around here in the next couple days to stay inside and flightsim, so maybe Saturday night or Sunday sometime, depending.

-stefan

LarryCFII
Airman

Post by LarryCFII »

Great Stephan. No problem. Enjoy all. Blue skies !!!

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Did the next leg last night. I took too many pictures and couldn't be bothered to pick the nice ones so I uploaded them all. There's too many. This is an evening/night flight from KSBM -> KMCD

http://imgur.com/a/ISw3i

I decided to pull the GPS from this plane and put it in the newly purchased Comanche. (I know I can have it in both, but it fits my fun narrative, and I decided it would be more fun to not have it.) As I've been lazy with VOR work, you'll note that I screw up my intercepts in a couple spots because I forgot how it works with the FROM/TO and such. I realize and correct, but it's a poignant reminder to pay attention to that sort of thing and keep current on VOR navigation in case GPS dies. In mountainous terrain with IFR conditions I could have had a real problem. As it was I just wasted a bit of time.

As before, here's a couple shots:

Our new panel.

Decent weather for once

Flying over Manitowoc

Approaching Sturgeon Bay and Door County

Ephraim is pretty

Nice sunset!

Around here is when I realized I did the VOR backwards.

I should have more altitude for the over water portions but whatever.

Going over Michigan

The UP is pretty

Mackinac Bridge is sweet

Our downwind gave us a nice shot with landing lights and bridge

Final

Don't question the parking spot.

-stefan

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Next leg uploading - I opted to go all the way from KMCD to KIAG. Once again, too many pictures and it's easier to write captions than it is to prune them :D

Next up after I upload this album, I'll try some shadowplay to see if I can get a short video of a flight from KIAG to KBUF with a detour around the falls. I haven't tried shadowplay yet so no idea if it'll work.

-stefan

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great stuff, I love a bit of night flying, esp with my Orbx night lights whic enhance the night experience so much looking out the windows 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Lewis - A2A wrote:Great stuff, I love a bit of night flying, esp with my Orbx night lights whic enhance the night experience so much looking out the windows 8)

cheers,
Lewis
Yeah. I'm really looking to get this thing back into ORBX regions. This flight is at night too!

I wasn't in a huge hurry so I opted to skip our overnight stay and go straight from Mackinac Island to Niagara Falls. I took a brief detour at the end to go over the falls, and the landing was very weird. I didn't see the number at the end of the runway, probably because a cat jumped on me right about then, and then I saw yellow taxiway markings and that's it - no other markings. I also saw lights further down the runway which made me think it was maybe a displaced threshold, so I added a bit of power to go further down the runway. I eventually decided that nope, those lights are just a cross runway, and the runway I'm landing on just doesn't have markings. You'd think I'd look these things up ahead of time so as to not get confused, but nope! At least not on this flight. Sometimes I do.

I also had some OOM issues on this flight. As I approached Toronto, I started getting some warning dings. Quickly reduced settings and got things OK - only a few warning dings after that. You can definitely see a difference in visual quality. I lowered LOD 2 notches and all the scenery sliders 1-2 notches, as well as turning off vehicular traffic and boats, and that got things OK. Another solution would have been to save and reload the flight, since it's just kind of a consequence of moving into an urban area after a long flight. Reloading probably would still have needed lower sliders, but not as low I think.

So, pictures:

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/i9XVz contains 98 high-res shots.

For some individual ones:

Maybe Mackinac Island has grass taxiways, and maybe there's an issue. A quick check would solve this puzzler, but what would be the fun in that?

Nice scenery

I really like cockpit shadows

The shadows and bloom here are great

Sunset!

Right around here is when I started getting OOM warning dings

CYYZ with Toronto in the background. Of course I was cleared for this airspace, don't question me.

Even with lower settings and somewhat away from Toronto we're still lower on VAS than I'd like. Had to leave the sliders where they were. Maybe KBUF and such were keeping it problematic, maybe it just doesn't clear as well as it could.

Falls look a little funny as they're completely static, at least at night

Still, a decent shot.

This is what confused me, it wasn't what I was expecting to see

Landed fine though once I decided to finish the landing. The runway really looks weird to me.

Hope you enjoy these! Next up I'm hoping to make a video of a flight to KBUF. I'll have to take it to work on a USB stick since my internet speed at home is abominable since I live out in the boonies and am lucky to even have DSL (9mbit down, .7mbit up) and it would take a literal week to upload it. Work, happily, I once took this:

-stefan

Edit: I have an 11 GB video to throw on a USB stick and upload to youtube at work tomorrow of KIAG to KBUF. The only issue with it is it'll show everyone what a poor pilot I am ;)

-stefan

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Ok, video of the flight to KBUF is up! About 37 minutes including a full preflight which included my first-ever failure detected during a pre-flight! Right flap was wonky and I was really confused for a moment, like "wait, that's not right" and hangar confirmed. So that was neat.

It's not the best flight ever, and my pattern work at KBUF is shoddy to say the least, but I was more focused on if it was still recording (I've never used ShadowPlay before.) I still think it turned out OK. Video is completely unedited, including a weird graphical glitch at one point as well as a brief hiatus where I drop settings as things were getting a bit framey.

[youtubehd1024 640]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjyeLQP4cJo[/youtubehd]

Video might still be processing, but at least 1440p was available at time of posting. It should eventually go up to 1600p most likely, but maybe ShadowPlay capped out at 1440p. Not sure. As mentioned, first video - you may want to open it on youtube itself, I dunno.

-stefan

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Cherokee 180 using Baskins' N6316J Paint?

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

While - obviously - LOL - A2A doesn't really care for Beech very much - at least we have a plane with a nice respectable Beech paint job !!!
:)

Seriously - beautiful set - and great dialog to go with it...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LarryCFII
Airman

Post by LarryCFII »

Fatastic pictures and so realistic both in the weather, clouds and terrain. As I mentioned my wife and I flew in this region of the county in N6316J just a few years ago. It was a fantastic flight. We left KBMI, Bloomington, IL and flew over Ft. Wayne, IN. Landed somewhere in a small Ohio airport to refuel and stretch our legs. Then on to Buffalo, NY. We rented a car, went to see Niagara Falls. When we departed, we overflew the falls and took some pictures from the air. All comes back very clearly from your photos. Thanks so much... Larry

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”