Cross Country Tour...

The Low Wing Wonder
pressler
Senior Airman

Re: Cross Country Tour...

Post by pressler »

Continuing on our Journey, we departed Adirondack Regional (KSLK) - Saranac Lake, New York at 0600 on Wednesday, May 25th and our destination was Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport (KITH) Ithaca, New York. Then, I noticed there was a payware Orbx airport/area to the north and it happened to be (CNK4) Parry Sound Area Municipal Airport, Ontario, Canada. Since Orbx has their products on sale right now, I figured, what the heck, for $6.74 US, I couldn't pass it up. So, I bought, downloaded and installed it then off I went after a short break in Ithaca. I ran into a few sqwals of rain just over Lake Ontario and was kept busy flying the Cherokee 180. Also had some carb icing I had to deal with, but made it safely. You'll see from the pic below, I forgot to turn off my carb heater and as a result, I think, I was leaving a smoke trail behind me. We stayed at Parry Sound (CNK4) for the night, then on Thursday morning, we headed south to Portage County Regional Airport (KPOV or 29G) in Ravenna, Ohio. Enjoy the pics...

Rain over Lake Ontario

All trimmed out cruising over the Canadian countryside

A little smoke trail due to forgetting to switch off the carb heater

Departing the very picturesque Orbx Parry Sound Area Airport

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Cool, nice shots and that looks like a great airport 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

pressler
Senior Airman

Post by pressler »

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am taking this weekend off, especially Monday, as it is Memorial Day in the US and I usually fire up my smoker. This year is no different as I have a 8lb pork butt and three racks of baby backs to go on in the morning. Nevertheless, I have been doing this for the past 10-12 years. The main reason is it gives me some man time to sit and reflect on the Memorial Day and to think about the heroes that made the ultimate sacrifice to enable me to enjoy the freedom I love. I also want to give thanks to all my brothers and sisters in arms currently serving and of course those that have served throughout the years.

pressler
Senior Airman

Post by pressler »

...and the journey continues. We departed Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport (KITH) Ithaca, New York yesterday at 0630 and headed to Put-In-Bay, Ohio (3W2) on Lake Erie. We hung out and fished the rest of the day and slept in the small FBO. This morning we had a 1030 departure from Put-In-Bay and headed due west to Michigan City, Indiana - Michigan City Municipal Airport-Phillips Field (KMGC). I think I even passed through a temporary NOTAM restriction in Elkhart, Indiana...oh well. Anywho, we landed safely and haven't been excorted to the local pokie yet. Should be heading out early tomorrow to continue our trek across the US making stops at only ORBX Global Freeware Airports. A couple pics below for you. Thanks for looking!

Passenger checking out Cleveland Ohio off the wing tip.

Ramp at Michigan City Muni, Indiana

My A2A Cherokee 180 continues to chug along - Still in Great Shape!

Route continues - KHIE=>KSLK=>KITH=>CNK4=>KPOV

KPOV=>3W2=>KMGC

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

Cool

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nice 8)

pressler
Senior Airman

Post by pressler »

Sorry for the delay. I took some time to play with Air Hauler 2 Early Access. Now that I have it going pretty good, I can get back to my x country tour in my fab A2A Cherokee 180. This morning I picked up from Michigan City, Indiana - Michigan City Municipal Airport-Phillips Field (KMGC) to Middleton, Wisconsin - Middleton Municiple Airport - Morely Field (C29), Orbx Global Freeware Airport. It was really a smooth VFR flight @ 5000 ft. I was able to take a quick snapshot of the Chicago skyline as I was crossing Lake Michigan below:

Happy flying!!!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good job, I'm familiar with that skyline having seen it several times every year for the past few years now :)

cheers,
Lewis

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

Nice trip. Since you are using the default GPS, you should relax your wallet and buy either the Flight1 GTN 750 GPS or the Reality XP 530 WAAS
GPS. Both embed in the cockpit, and both are a joy to use, and far more useful than the default, which is severely limited in comparison.
Comparing the default gps to those two is like comparing a Carenado to A2A lol

Happy Landings

pressler
Senior Airman

Post by pressler »

For some reason, I lost my last flight plan and picked back up at Michigan City Municipal yesterday (KMGC). So, I decided to go a little further north and flew up to Frankfort Dow memorial Field (KFKS) - Frankfort, Michigan and spent the night. This morning, I left there and flew further north to Mackinac Island Airport (KMCD) - Mackinac Island, Michigan. It was a fairly smooth flight with a rather low ceiling into Mackinac Island at 2600'. Just took a couple of shots. We were greeted at Mackinac Island by the local Kawanis Club.

Bridge Towers

Being greeted by the local Kiwanis Club

pressler
Senior Airman

Post by pressler »

Neon wrote:Nice trip. Since you are using the default GPS, you should relax your wallet and buy either the Flight1 GTN 750 GPS or the Reality XP 530 WAAS
GPS. Both embed in the cockpit, and both are a joy to use, and far more useful than the default, which is severely limited in comparison.
Comparing the default gps to those two is like comparing a Carenado to A2A lol
Aye, I get it. I've been wanting to upgrade the GPS for a while, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm getting ready to layout some cash on some new hardware as my current system is struggling at times to maintain a decent fps. I am running on low/mid end stuff pretty much anyways. I think I might slip in a GPS upgrade while I'm at it. The other thing is, I haven't decided if I'm going to keep with FSX-SE or give P3D a shot. Once my hardware is replaced, I should be able to run P3D effectively...then again, I will have to layout even more cash to convert my FSX planes to P3D. Big mama won't be none too happy when the final bill is around $2k. Any who, thanks for noticing I am running the vanilla GPS and you're so right, there is no comparing the A2A products to anything else. A2A is in a class by themselves. I love flying this Cherokee. I need to give my Comanche some luv too, but I cannot pull myself out of the Cherokee cockpit long enough...lol

have a great day!!!

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

These are lovely shots - I'm sorry to say I have no interest in the Comanche (sorry A2A sales dept) because the Cherokee is just too much fun!

I'm planning a round the UK trip quite soon - having done one a year ago, and now I have an entire 2m photoreal courtesy of FS Earth Tiles, plus Autogen, plus rudder pedals, head tracking and some reasonable airfields, and of course all the experience between then and now, should be fun! I will be sure to post up pics of the journey :)

just while people are talking about GTNs etc - I've not been overly eager to get the GTN for the PA28 as I tend to fly VFR and the flightplanning bit is more aimed at IFR. (No VRPs, etc in the GTN) - however, the idea of having TCAS on Vatsim where VFR tends to fly to and through uncontrolled areas... I might get the GTN for this reason alone - unless anyone can tell me how to add traffic on the default GNS400?

pressler
Senior Airman

Post by pressler »

A better view of Bridge Towers as we departed Mackinac Island.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”