Stall Warning Horn

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
rictus
Senior Airman

Stall Warning Horn

Post by rictus »

To lovely A2A peeps

I know there has been a thread on this before but it was v old...

I wanted to ask if it was possible to code in an optional stall horn, simply because it is not always practical to look down at the dash and watch for the light while maintaining a good look-out, especially with the limitations of a software-based virtual cockpit.

I have been doing some research on various PA28 owners forums and found that some later models of the -180 (not the -181) did in fact have the horn. Additionally, many owners have had the horn fitted.

As you provide a series of after-market mods in the gap seals, etc, would it be a lot to ask if you could add this as an option?

I would love to see modifications for the modern-style trim wheel, rocker switches and the throttle quadrant with levers also seen in some later -180s but I respect that these are much bigger jobs and that the -180 you've made is based on a specific -180.

The switches are certainly cosmetic and don't worry me, as to the most part is the throttle. But having to look up some way to check trim position when I don't have the full freedom of moving my head (even though I do have an IR head tracker), it's much easier on the neck to have a look down, rather than up!

However... you did provide some after-market mods...!!

77 hours on and still flying this wonderful plane... It just never fails to make me smile when I take it out for a spin! Thank you :)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Stall Warning Horn

Post by AKar »

When it comes to the trim system, I don't think it would be too viable to modify the original overhead trim system to rocker switches. :) That's why these early Pipers just about always lack the autopilot trim option too. The later system has better provisions for trim servo installation, like Cessnas do (while not all of them with autopilots include trim servos, nor rocker switches, either!).

-Esa

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Thanks Esa, I meant the more usual rotary trim wheel normally located next to the throttle, or by the flaps lever rather than the servo actuated yoke switch :)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Ah, I see. :) That would fall under same explanation anyways: the system is quite entirely re-designed in later Pipers. In early ones, which the A2A Cherokee represents, the cables are routed above the ceiling to the hand crank handle. In later ones, there is a floor-mounted trim wheel and the cables are routed under the floor. Having this later trim system would mean you're looking at newer Cherokee, having other changes elsewhere as well. :)

-Esa

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Thank you Akar, yes I understand how it functions and the difference. I have hours in a real PA28-161.

As mentioned, I'm not really too worried about having the modern style rocker switches for lights, etc other than familiarity, nor with the trim wheel.

My question as originally posted was more about the much simpler addition of a stall warning horn, as some later -180's did include this

(some later -180s also had the floor mounted trim wheel instead of the ceiling one, for your information :) )

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

rictus wrote:(some later -180s also had the floor mounted trim wheel instead of the ceiling one, for your information :) )
Yep, I'm aware. :) Those were from s/n 4378 onwards (1968 model). An early part of that range would otherwise overlap with A2A Cherokee in most of its configuration, however, the 1968 model still included some minor differences, such as adding of the third side window and somewhat different panel and furnishing. Those from 1973 and on or thereabouts (s/n 28-7305001 and up), threw in several other changes as well: including but not limited to a longer wing span (32' 2½'' instead of 30' - but still constant chord!), longer stabilator (12' 10½'' instead of 10') and a fuselage extension of about 3''.

The stall warning horn, however, should be quite straightforward addition, just installing a small buzzer in parallel with the lamp. It appears by googling that some airplanes are modified to have one, but there doesn't seem to be an STC or anything available, so I'm not sure how common they are. I don't think though they were factory equipment in any -180...I looked up some references, and by quick search only ones I can find are applicable to certain late -140, -235, and R-200 models.

-Esa

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Wow interesting stuff!

Hopefully it's a relatively easy after-market mod that the A2A could have...

Otherwise I might have a look and see if FSUIPC can do something...

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sorry guys, no plans to add that at the moment. You should be able to read the gauges and the light to know if in a stall though, having to see the light on a monitor actually isn't as restrictive as you might think when compared to reality of moving your eyes and head around a cockpit.

Thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Thanks Lewis, I assumed that would be the case. No worries - if you don't ask...!

I think I'm on to a way to do this using fsuipc....

And the view is exactly the issue - I prefer to zoom in and have the view a bit more like the real thing instead of zooming out and having tiny gauges like you're sat in the back seats!!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

What i'm saying is you'd still be having to look down at the gauges and light anyway, so the monitor movement isn't actually all that different. Its exactly, ironically, why the audio method is preferred these days.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

rictus wrote:Wow interesting stuff!
PA-28 family is diverse enough to write a book! :mrgreen: I've been briefly involved with quite a few examples, and know the series fairly well (I quickly recollect having met in person at least PA-28-140, -161, -181, PA-28R-180, -200, PA-28RT-201 and -201T). I can say one must indeed remain vigilant when ordering parts for instance, because it is very easy to get a wrong one! :D "The American way" of calling the airplane by its name and year model ("1967 Piper Cherokee 180" or "1975 Piper Archer") adds a source of confusion, for these names are used somewhat interchangeably.

If interested, the original PA-28-180 was named by Piper like this:

1962: Cherokee
1963...1964: Cherokee B
1964...1967: Cherokee C
1968...1969: Cherokee D, added third side window and new floor-mounted trim among the other stuff
1970: Cherokee E
1971: Cherokee F
1972: Cherokee G, received new vertical tail with the 'root' extending forward
1973: Cherokee Challenger, had longer wingspan and stabilator, fuselage extended about 3''
1974...1975: Cherokee Archer

Thereafter the model was given the new tapered wing, and was designated PA-28-181 while keeping the name "Archer".

-Esa

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

I really don't see a need for it since the plane shudders when you are close to stall even
before the light comes on. I think there's plenty of warning.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”