Creaky rudder/brakes!

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
rictus
Senior Airman

Creaky rudder/brakes!

Post by rictus »

Not sure what's occurring here...

Got me nice shiny rudder pedals a week ago or so and all is working delightfully well...

As of this evening, after landing at Exeter EGTE, as I rolled along the runway, I could hear the creaky noises the pedals normally make if you're operating the brakes/rudder.

However, I was not moving the rudder or operating the toebrakes. I lifted my feet off the pedals altogether and it continued with rather regular creakness!

I observed the virtual cockpit pedals in the foot well, no visible movement. Aircraft not steering off course, rudder not deflecting, 'Differential Brakes' or 'Brakes' red message not appearing bottom-left of screen - so get the impression there's no usual event triggering it. But something must be!

Any thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this? I've never ever had this before. I have even tried reducing the sensitivity of the pedals and adding a massive null zone. No change. Once the aircraft had stopped and the parking brakes were set, it stopped doing it.

My immediate assumption is that it must be something to do with the rudder pedals, but why only now? Why not the last five hours I've logged since getting them?!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Creaky rudder/brakes!

Post by Nick - A2A »

Have you checked the maintenance hangar for wear to the brakes Rich? I believe a bit of squeaking is something that's modelled as the brakes age. In other words, the onset of the squeakiness happening soon after the purchase of your new rudder pedals could just be a coincidence if you've already got a few hours in the Cherokee.

Nick

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Thanks Nick, I checked the hangar before the flight but in fairness not after... I will check tonight!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay - let us know how you get on. If worn brakes via Accu-Sim aren't the culprit, you may find the little "brakes test" tool that A2A provided a while ago helpful it determining if you've got some slight input from your hardware: I posted a link to it in this thread.

Nick

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Thanks I'll take a look. It was odd as the VC rudder pedals weren't moving at all.

I'll check tonight and if the hangar is clear I'll try the tool! Thanks!

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Loaded up the Cherokee for a quick 'scenery checking' flight last night... Hangar says aircraft in good condition, no advisories. No squeaks or creaks even after taxying around.

Purposefully avoided recalibrating in case that was an issue (although I'm sure it wasn't as the pedals weren't moving when it was doing it)...

Whatever it was, it's gone!!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Oh well, maybe it was a bit of grit or something between the brake disk and caliper! :mrgreen: Are you still getting on okay with those TM pedals by the way Rich? I'm tempted to pick up a set...

Nick

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

They're great. The only thing I need to sort is that they seem to be a bit oversensitive - a small input makes a big turn, which is not great when you want to make a light step on the balance ball or a gentle curving turn on a taxiway. Nothing wrong with the pedals, the control input is uniform etc. is just stuff that I need to resolve in the settings and haven't had time to. As far as build and function I can't fault them. Being able to yaw on final is an absolute joy!!

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

PS the brakes/rudder do seem to creak even with the lightest of movements... Is there a way to dumb down the noise or even remove it altogether? My plane is in tip top shape so shouldnt be too creaky!!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

You can have a brand new out the factory aircraft but when it comes to light GA esp your still gonna get creaks and things. Most things are designed to move and flex and all within the space smaller than a small car.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Thanks Lewis, y I get the whole small space and not perfect kit, but the PA28 I flew back in '95 never had really creaky brakes like a train stopping, and it was built ten years before I ever touched it - and it's still going strong and still doesn't sound as loud or as frequently creaky as this one! However I respect you modelled it on a specific Cherokee :)

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”