Trimming strategy at take off

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Trimming strategy at take off

Post by Dominique »

Hi guys

What is your trimming strategy (how many notches, nose up or down) at take off at various levels of load, from pilot only to maximum load, to reach Vy ? New to the Cherokee, I find it uneasy to trim to to reach the 85 mph sweet spot.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Re: Trimming strategy at take off

Post by G-BJPS »

Hey Dominique, I use neutral trim most of the time for take off, but if it heavily loaded I use a little bit of aft trim (up), also if you have a throttle quadrant use one of the levers as trim, I have the saitek stuff, and I use the outer lever (right) as trim, and it is so easy to trim! It works a treat!
You can very quickly trim the plane for whatever rate of climb, descent, and level flight.

Fsx automatically sets up the trim axis when you assign a lever, ie when you pull the lever down, it's trim up, and up is down.

Hope this helps you bud,

All the best, John.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Dominique wrote:Hi guys

What is your trimming strategy (how many notches, nose up or down) at take off at various levels of load, from pilot only to maximum load, to reach Vy ? New to the Cherokee, I find it uneasy to trim to to reach the 85 mph sweet spot.
Unless otherwise stated in the aircraft POH, a neutral pitch trim setting on takeoff will allow safe operation of the airplane with the calculated pre-flight cg anywhere within the aircraft's cg limit range.
Don't try to trim for Vy. Rotate and establish the climb attitude and airspeed for Vy by the use of the yoke, hold that attitude, THEN trim for Vy.
Dudley Henriques

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

I trim just aft of neutral (i.e. a little nose up). It is probably not necessary, but I am going to go there anyway after I get my Vy so I just set it a little way in the direction I am going to go.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Thank you very much you all ! To get a better feeling for trimming this aircraft in the climb out with my Warthog HOTAS, I guess I've to look into the curve of the trim command.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Dominique wrote:Thank you very much you all ! To get a better feeling for trimming this aircraft in the climb out with my Warthog HOTAS, I guess I've to look into the curve of the trim command.
You can do it visually in the sim exactly as you do it in the real airplane. The visual is the same in both cases.
Just achieve your Vy attitude and HOLD THAT with the yoke. Watch the nose as you slowly release the pressure on the yoke. Trim off any tendency of the nose to move off the established climb attitude until the nose stays put.
Simple. This is exactly how we teach students to trim the aircraft for climb.
DH

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

Per the POH, one notch aft of neutral should give you Vy, or about 85 mph. I fly one in real life, this is the correct answer.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

mryan75 wrote:Per the POH, one notch aft of neutral should give you Vy, or about 85 mph. I fly one in real life, this is the correct answer.
And my 180C handbook says: "The tab should be set slightly aft of neutral, with the exact setting determined by the loading of the aircraft. Allow the airplane to accelerate to 50 to 60 miles per hour, then ease back on the wheel enough to let the airplane fly itself off the ground".

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

In the Cherokee you're good to go with the trim set anywhere near neutral. You have stabilator authority that will over ride the trim. If you are heavy just use a few marks nose up trim. Either way, don't over concentrate on the trim. Just fly the plane using the controls and as speed dictates, trim off the pressure as needed.
Dudley Henriques

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

ratty wrote:
mryan75 wrote:Per the POH, one notch aft of neutral should give you Vy, or about 85 mph. I fly one in real life, this is the correct answer.
And my 180C handbook says: "The tab should be set slightly aft of neutral, with the exact setting determined by the loading of the aircraft. Allow the airplane to accelerate to 50 to 60 miles per hour, then ease back on the wheel enough to let the airplane fly itself off the ground".
I've read it - I wouldn't recommend trying to make a Cherokee fly at 50 MPH. :wink:

For a regular takeoff, set it one notch aft of neutral and it will just about fly itself off at 80.

zaruthoj
Airman

Post by zaruthoj »

My '73 Cherokee 180 POH is similarly silly. It calls for rotate at 60MPH. I choose to interpret that as, "start applying some pressure at 60, and expect actual rotation at 70."

I think it's rather interesting that the POH for the '78 Archer II I trained in set rotation at 60 KNOTS, which is much more reasonable.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”