Looking for a Better GPS

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
piperpilot42
Airman

Looking for a Better GPS

Post by piperpilot42 »

Am currently running the Cherokee under FSX SE under windows 10 and am using the default GPS (Garmin 400). What is the recommended upgrade which is compatible with the Cherokee and if anyone has the link it would be appreciated

Thanks

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Looking for a Better GPS

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Mike,

Sorry I didn't get round to answering this question in the other topic.

Probably the most popular add-on GPS for the Cherokee is the Garmin GTN series. This is available from Flight1 software as the GTN Complete Edition. This product current has inbuilt support in A2A's aircraft configurator for FSX and P3D.

However, I use GTN products produced by another add-on manufacturer: RealityXP. These have a slightly more complete feature set and apparently better in-sim performance. However, they're also more expensive if you plan to get both GTN 650 and 750 units and they're not currently 'officially' supported by A2A. This means that a bit more work is necessary to integrate them into the panel.

Both Flight1 and RealityXP's product are based on Garmin's (free) GTN PC trainer. If you're interested, I'd recommend that you download this first and have a play. GTN is Garmin's current GPS touchscreen and in reality, expensive units like this are very uncommon in older GA aircraft like the Cherokee.

On this note, both Flight1 and RealityXP also offer a simulation of the previous generation of Garmin aviation GPS systems, the GNS series. These units are more akin to the default GPS in FSX, but again, they're based on a standalone Garmin trainer. At the time of writing, neither is officially supported by A2A's input configurator, though I believe they have plans to add support for both products in future. Flight1's version is available here, and RealityXP's (again, the version I own) can be seen here.

Cheers,
Nick

dscott3984
Airman First Class

Post by dscott3984 »

+1 for the Flight1 GTN. I have the package with both of the units (650/750) and use them both on my A2A birds. The 650 is starting to show up more and more with the older Cherokees in RL and I have one paired with an Aspen EFIS in my 69 Cherokee 180D so having one in the sim is invaluable for currency.

piperpilot42
Airman

Post by piperpilot42 »

Nick M wrote:Hi Mike,

Sorry I didn't get round to answering this question in the other topic.

Probably the most popular add-on GPS for the Cherokee is the Garmin GTN series. This is available from Flight1 software as the GTN Complete Edition. This product current has inbuilt support in A2A's aircraft configurator for FSX and P3D.

However, I use GTN products produced by another add-on manufacturer: RealityXP. These have a slightly more complete feature set and apparently better in-sim performance. However, they're also more expensive if you plan to get both GTN 650 and 750 units and they're not currently 'officially' supported by A2A. This means that a bit more work is necessary to integrate them into the panel.

Both Flight1 and RealityXP's product are based on Garmin's (free) GTN PC trainer. If you're interested, I'd recommend that you download this first and have a play. GTN is Garmin's current GPS touchscreen and in reality, expensive units like this are very uncommon in older GA aircraft like the Cherokee.

On this note, both Flight1 and RealityXP also offer a simulation of the previous generation of Garmin aviation GPS systems, the GNS series. These units are more akin to the default GPS in FSX, but again, they're based on a standalone Garmin trainer. At the time of writing, neither is officially supported by A2A's input configurator, though I believe they have plans to add support for both products in future. Flight1's version is available here, and RealityXP's (again, the version I own) can be seen here.

Cheers,
Nick
Thanks Nick

Will go with your recommendation for the Garmin GTN series, available from Flight1 software. I'm a better RL pilot than I am a computer guy so I'll go with the program that will integrate with the A2A Cherokee with the least amount of hangups.

Mike

piperpilot42
Airman

Post by piperpilot42 »

dscott3984 wrote:+1 for the Flight1 GTN. I have the package with both of the units (650/750) and use them both on my A2A birds. The 650 is starting to show up more and more with the older Cherokees in RL and I have one paired with an Aspen EFIS in my 69 Cherokee 180D so having one in the sim is invaluable for currency.

Thanks for the rec....thats why I'm running the Cherokee program...to keep my currency up in the real world...everything I'm flying has a Garmin panel mounted unit

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

Hi guys,

I couldn't have hit on a more perfect thread. I'm a RL private pilot working on my instrument, I have '66 160 with a 650 in it, and I want to get this setup in Prepar3d. I'm just upgrading from FSX to p3d v4, and I really like the A2A Cherokee. So am I understanding correctly that integrating the F1 650 into the Cherokee is no big deal with the configuration program? And I understand there is some increased functionality in the RXP 650, but for those of you using the F1 version for currency, it's adequate for navigation, flying approaches (hand flown, not coupled), etc.?

I want to use this to mimic my real aircraft. I understand the 160 v 180, that's no big deal. I just want the steam 6-pack and the 650. Am I going to be happy with this setup? Thanks so much, gents!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

We cannot speak for you of course but yes it sounds like the 650 would be a good addition for your sim flying.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Romeo Juliett Echo
Airman

Post by Romeo Juliett Echo »

Having reviewed the available options we have decided on the Avidyne ID540 over the Garmin GTN 650 for our Cherokee. I have not seen any company offering anything other than Garmin GPS.

Taka taka
Senior Airman

Post by Taka taka »

+1 GTN
I have the combined package - I love them. They make almost every aspect of a flight that much easier.
From taxing to avoiding airspace enroute they do it all.
"Spring Chicken to Shite Hawk in one easy lesson...taka taka taka taka..."

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”