Support for UK 8.33kHz frequency change

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
RobertPBham
Airman Basic

Support for UK 8.33kHz frequency change

Post by RobertPBham »

Hi there,

I was just wondering if at some point the radios in the Cherokee would be upgraded to support the UK changing over to 8.33kHz that is being rolled out at the moment.

I guess this isn't an issue if you are using the original simulator data, but I have upgraded my data so that I can dial in the correct frequencies and obviously all of the latest approach charts and airfield plates have the 'new' frequencies.

Thanks
Rob

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Support for UK 8.33kHz frequency change

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I’ll second that. Same here in Germany with 8.33kHz.

Thanks and happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Oliver Branaschky
Senior Airman

Post by Oliver Branaschky »

+1

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

KX 155 series are to my knowledge not convertible to 8.33 kHz channel spacing. A replacement with KX 165A series would be required. But then, it is 28 V so probably lots of airplanes have ended up with less classy solutions than expensive Bendix-Kings.

-Esa

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

AKar wrote:KX 155 series are to my knowledge not convertible to 8.33 kHz channel spacing. A replacement with KX 165A series would be required. But then, it is 28 V so probably lots of airplanes have ended up with less classy solutions than expensive Bendix-Kings.

-Esa
Yes correct they have.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

RobertPBham
Airman Basic

Post by RobertPBham »

I posted the same question on the Mindstar GNS forum as I use their 430 and you cannot tune the frequencies on that. This was the reply:

'The tuning resolution is part of the core sim... until it supports 8.33... you won't see it. No matter if you have the real frequencies, you can't get the sim to tune them.'

So it doesn't look like this will ever happen - especially within FSXSE - A shame really as I thought it would be as easy as just updating the frequencies, but obviously not!

Thanks
Rob

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

RobertPBham wrote:I guess this isn't an issue if you are using the original simulator data, but I have upgraded my data so that I can dial in the correct frequencies and obviously all of the latest approach charts and airfield plates have the 'new' frequencies.
RobertPBham wrote:'The tuning resolution is part of the core sim... until it supports 8.33... you won't see it. No matter if you have the real frequencies, you can't get the sim to tune them.'
Interestingly, with these pieces of info we end up in a situation where the simulator both supports, and does not support this.

I don't know how the sim platform truly works in this respect, but I know add-ons that tune 8.33 at least for the digits. It would be interesting to get a word from someone who did know how the sim worked in this.

Nick - are you hearing? :mrgreen:

-Esa

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

AKar wrote:Nick - are you hearing? :mrgreen:
Sorry guys - only just caught up with this thread. Do you happen to know of any facilities which have already switched over to 8.33 kHz-spaced frequencies? I'd guess ATIS/ASOS/AWOS would be the most likely candidates?

Anyway, if any have been updated by Hervé Sors for instance, it might be possible for me to do some testing and raise the question with the devs.

Thanks,
Nick

Romeo Juliett Echo
Airman

Post by Romeo Juliett Echo »

Hi Nick,

I know of a few stations in the UK that have already changed to 8.33, Birmingham Radar and Oxford Radar to name a couple. There is a list here https://www.newfrequency.co.uk

Oliver Branaschky
Senior Airman

Post by Oliver Branaschky »

And for Germany: https://www.dfs.de/dfs_homepage/de/Serv ... AR2018.pdf

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Oliver Branaschky wrote:And for Germany: https://www.dfs.de/dfs_homepage/de/Serv ... AR2018.pdf
Yes true. And funny enough in Germany they switched the frequencies before the new ICAO charts where out which led to some confusion approaching the airfields/airports that changed over.

Romeo Juliett Echo
Airman

Post by Romeo Juliett Echo »

Here in the UK, many airfields have switched to 8.33khz frequncies. Just wondering if there are any radio updates for radios and GPS yet?

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Hi,
Romeo Juliett Echo wrote:Here in the UK, many airfields have switched to 8.33khz frequncies. Just wondering if there are any radio updates for radios and GPS yet?
As long the internal handling inside FSX/P3D is not changed, updates can not be done. Internal in the scenery and Flightsim engine there is no support for 8.333 Freq (yet).

Can ofcourse "build/design" a "fake" radio, in which you can tune the 8.33 kHz channel which there after is converted to the closes "old" freq.

Marcel

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”