Nav/Com tuning

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
David S
Airman Basic

Nav/Com tuning

Post by David S »

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and almost new to FSX. I own a real Cherokee 180 and bought the A2A 180 a couple days ago and downloaded to my FSX. It is really beautiful. I am having a problem tuning the com/nav radios and moving the OBS knob on the gauges. I have tried changing the panel folders using notepad and they will not save because I keep getting administrator errors.

So first, how do I tune the radios?
Then, how do I make and save changes to the com1, com2, files?

Thanks for any help,
David

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Nav/Com tuning

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello David and welcome to the A2A forums. :)

When it comes to tuning the radios and so forth, probably the only thing you're missing is that it's necessary to use the scroll wheel of your mouse to rotate some of the knobs. That's because the mouse click action is reserved for pushing/pulling them in some cases. Once you get used to it, hopefully you'll find the mouse wheel is a pretty intuitive control for these types of actions.

The com1 and com2 text files that you're referring to are a bit of a red herring if I recall correctly. They're actually used to support COMM radio stored frequencies which are currently only available in the A2A Cessnas with their more modern avionics.

In short, it shouldn't be necessary for you to make any changes to text on config files to use the radios correctly. However, there is a 'quick radios' 2-D panel (available with the Shift 6 key combo) which provides an alternative means to tune frequencies.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Nick

David S
Airman Basic

Post by David S »

Nick,

Thank you so much. Your answer was very concise and just what I was looking for. How could I not have moved the scroll wheel when I was mousing around the cockpit. Now that I know and have scrolled the instruments it seems very intuitive. This is completely different than default aircraft in FSX which I am used to using.

I am sure I will have more problems but I am beginning to enjoy this PA 28-180 more and more. I just did the best ILS approach after trimming rudder better with the scroll wheel and changing tanks right after take-off to keep the plane level in roll axis. I wish I could trim the ailerons but that's how it is in real life. I try to compensate using rudder trim.

Thanks again Nick, you were a big help.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're very welcome David - if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Also, we're always interested if you care to share any pics of your real Cherokee. :)

All the best,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”