Neat thing your DVOR can do if the OBS gage is unhappy

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
simnettpratt
Airman

Neat thing your DVOR can do if the OBS gage is unhappy

Post by simnettpratt »

Here's something I didn't know about our little Davtron Model 903 DVOR. While I appreciated the former virtual owner of my Cherokee purchasing the thing, when you fly with the GPS you don't really need it. Well, flying was becoming boring just following the magenta line, so I took out the GPS, and now have to fly VOR to VOR.

I made a VFR flight from North Texas to Oklahoma yesterday, and the first VOR FSX picked, was one on a private Air Force base. My OBS gage's To/From flag went all black, and I didn't know what that meant, but figured the VOR was inop in some way. My DME panel still showed the miles to, my closing speed and the estimated arrival time, but my DVOR also showed a weird thing, and read 20-x. WTH? As I approached the VOR, the DVOR changed to -20x. What??

I rechecked the M903 MANUAL (it's only five pages), and found out if your OBS gage isn't happy, the 903 can tell you whether you're left or right of the radial. Here's a capture from the manual:

It was pretty sweet. I still don't know what the problem with the VOR was, maybe some military thing because the base is listed as private. Here's the link to the 903 manual: http://www.davtron.com/cmsAdmin/uploads ... ochure.pdf

And here's me wondering where the heck I am. You can see the -20x in the DVOR.

This is why the A2A guys say use the actual avionics manual and it will be accurate.

PS Thanks for putting a little INOP sticker over my NAV/GPS toggle when I remove the GPS. Maybe someday we can cover up that plaque that says GPS is good for IFR as well? ;)

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”