RL Cherokee pilots - your thoughts?

The Low Wing Wonder
Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: RL Cherokee pilots - your thoughts?

Post by Hook »

I don’t think I’ve ever been able to detect a fuel imbalance by the way she flies...
I would think this is how aircraft designers intended it. But like in FS9, this is not necessarily how the sim works. Still, I wouldn't want to empty one tank while the other was still full. :) I don't mind some imbalance showing up because it does remind me to switch tanks. The problem is, how soon should it show up? So I'm trying to figure out how much to nerf the lateral load points for the fuel tanks.
I played with this a bit on a recent flight. My experience mirrors Hook's pretty closely. I started to notice the inbalance at 6 gallons, and it was annoying at 8-9 gallons.
If that is the case then 0.3 might work for you... as long as it matches real life. :) At 0.25 it was something over 11 gallons. I've documented what 0.28 does in this thread.

Last flight I started with the left tank. I started to notice a difference when it got to 13.2 gallons. This is with 0.28 in the file. The air wasn't quite as smooth this time, but I had a restricted area on my right that I needed to avoid so I was sensitive to any right turning tendencies. This is one of those psychological factors I mentioned above. And so many things go into this. I mentioned in my original post to zaruthoj that wind speed and direction made a difference, but forgot to list it in my last post.

And thanks for the input, guys. It is much appreciated.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”