Cruise Speeds and Mixture Settings

The Low Wing Wonder
KKoskey
Airman Basic

Cruise Speeds and Mixture Settings

Post by KKoskey »

I have been using this plane for a couple of years now and I first want to mention that it is absolutely excellent; however, I do have a couple of questions/comments about it.

Background information:
I recently built a new PC and due to using my original boxed FSX product key too many times I purchased the FSX Steam Edition. The Cherokee installed fine and worked perfectly except that the panel GPS would not move so I did some research and noticed there was an updater for the A2A aircraft, so I installed that to see if it would fix the issue. It did not but I eventually traced the problem to FSCopilot (used for FSInn to connect to VATSIM). I decided to use a different client for connecting to VATSIM and updated my DLL to no longer load FSCopilot and everything is fine with the GPS now. I am just mentioning this in case there are some differences between the original FSX and FSX:SE that may be contributing to what I am observing.

Anyway...to my questions/comments (NOTE: I have not flown a Cherokee 180 outside of the simulator but I do fly a Piper Archer II on a regular basis):
After installing the A2A update, I noticed some cool features as well as some differences with the power and mixture behavior that I will describe below.
1. On the ground, the throttle needs to be advanced significantly further than it did before the update in order to achieve 1000 RPM and it idles very low and emits black smoke with the throttle all the way out. Is this normal behavior for a Cherokee 180?
2. In the air, the power seems to have increased significantly after the update. At max gross weight (2400lbs) and 90F it will climb at 700-800fpm which is more than it used to before the update. It continues to do 600FPM in cruise climb at 5000ft (75F OAT).
3. Cruise speed and fuel flow are higher than before the update with similar power settings. I am currently doing a test flight at 6,000ft, 75F OAT, 2500RPM, 100 degrees ROP (~65% power according to Archer II POH), and I am getting 138MPH(118 KTS) true airspeed and 10.8 GPH fuel flow. According to the manual I should be getting about 110KTS true, 9GPH at this power setting without wheel fairings. I have always used my Archer II POH power settings quite reliably but now my cruise speeds and fuel flows are higher than they used to be. Is this normal?

Like I mentioned above, I have not flown an actual Cherokee 180 but I do fly an Archer II regularly and the A2A Cherokee used to match my Archer book figures closer than they do now. Maybe this is completely normal due to a different prop or something but it just seemed odd to me considering that it used to match more closely than it does now.

Also, this is just me being nit picky (and comparing figures based on a POH for a different plane) and I have absolutely no complaints. I just wanted to get some feedback regarding my recent observations compared to the behavior before the update.

Thanks!

mryan75
Airman

Re: Cruise Speeds and Mixture Settings

Post by mryan75 »

The only comment I can make is that 2500 RPM and 100 degrees ROP is a great way to beat the heck out of an engine. I think 10+ an hour at that rate is pretty good, actually. Also, remember that the airspeed you're reading off the gauge is indicated, not true. Try doing the calculations with an electronic E6B if you really want to. And I would say low idle in the Cherokee is probably 500 RPM. You do have to keep some power in to keep it at 1000.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

KKoskey,

Thanks for the post and observations. Accu-Sim does share some code between all airplanes where appropriate and it’s possible some of the newly developed features in the Bonanza may have changed something in the mixture for the Cherokee. I will test the Cherokee to see what may be going on.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

KKoskey,

I just found this issue thanks to you excellent, detailed post here so thank you. I think you will be happy with the next update. I'm not sure how this happened but the prop efficiency values were not correct after some updates on other airplanes.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Eugene Kremlev
Senior Airman

Post by Eugene Kremlev »

Scott - A2A wrote:KKoskey,

I just found this issue thanks to you excellent, detailed post here so thank you. I think you will be happy with the next update. I'm not sure how this happened but the prop efficiency values were not correct after some updates on other airplanes.

Scott.
Scott, when wait this update for Cherokee?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I just checked in with Nick and he is planning to release the Cherokee update next week.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

A new Cherokee update including enhanced rain sound effects and the latest Accu-Sim core file which fixes the prop efficiency values is now live.

Happy New Year! :)

Nick

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

That update is for the P3Dv4 version only, right? The original poster mentioned FSX and FSX:SE. I have the P3Dv1-3 Cherokee. Will we be getting an update as well?

Hook

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Yes that update will be coming for FSX by the end of next week

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

KKoskey
Airman Basic

Post by KKoskey »

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the response. I will check for the update!

KKoskey
Airman Basic

Post by KKoskey »

Scott - A2A wrote:Yes that update will be coming for FSX by the end of next week

Scott.
Hi Scott,

I am unable to find the update for FSX. Has it been delayed?

Thanks,
Kyle

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Kyle, sorry about the delay - this one is on me. I'm working on this now and should be able to get this out today.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

A2A Simulations Inc.

MarvK
Airman First Class

Post by MarvK »

Hi Scott,

I just ran this new update for FSX-SE, and all my aircraft reported that they were already up to date. Is this a core update that won’t show an individual aircraft upgrade? How do we know if it has been applied?

Thanks again for all the work and support you and your team provide to us! :wink:

Marv

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

MarvK wrote:I just ran this new update for FSX-SE, and all my aircraft reported that they were already up to date.
Not Scott by a long shot, of course, but I ran the update this morning as well and saw the same thing you did.

I did end up having to reauthorize accusim.dll in FSX:SE when I loaded up my Cherokee for a flight which was not needed prior to me running this latest update. Did you see the same thing there as well?

Deferring official word to people who are smarter than I am, I'm thinking perhaps that's indication the patch worked.

EDIT:

Some actual data might be helpful.

I'm currently eastbound running the V2 airway from Bismarck, ND to Jamestown at 11,000'. Heading 060' with a 45 knot quartering tailwind bearing 303'. Fuel economy is at 8.2 gph; 2500 RPM and EGT is slightly rich at 1483'F/781'C. 105 knots IAS; 146 knots groundspeed by GPS.

I was able to maintain a 700 fpm climb from 7,000-11,000 with one 140# occupant and light luggage (30#) and having to lean incrementally by sound. Engine started sounding boggy by 5-6,000'.

PA24 :: PA28 :: C182T :: BE35
"Tell me, have you ever met a Scav up close? Of course not . . ."

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”