Autopilot having trouble intercepting NAV course

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Win Tenk
Airman

Post by Win Tenk »

I installed the latest version of Accu-Sim today. And now it seems like the plane is hunting for the course that is set with NAV1, ie. ILS, VOR and GPS. It seems the Cherokee is banking with only 1-2 degrees when it tries to intercept the course/heading - it is barely noticeable - and the result is and substantial overshoot when the course changes.

If I use the heading bug to change the course, the banking is normal - around 10-15°.

I wish I knew how to explain it better. I'm wondering if some of you have experienced the same and if there is a solution.

Welsch
Staff Sergeant

Re: Autopilot having trouble intercepting NAV course

Post by Welsch »

I may remember incorrectly, but isn't the correct use of the simple S-TEC autopilot to switch back to the HDG function whenever you need to change a course or intercept a radial/localizer? Once you are established, you can then return back to Hi or Lo NAV tracking. It will also not be able to follow a multileg GPS course on its own properly, if it includes big heading changes, I think.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

To understand the realistic autopilot you will want too go over the manuals and understand that unlike the default based systems these are simulations of actual auto pilot units.

The manuals can be found in the main cherokee forum along with other avionics manuals and hints and tips.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Win,

The STEC-30 is a very simple autopilot that needs to be setup on the radial, and then it will hold the course. The behavior you see is also based on our own tests, confirming it is not able to intercept a radial in the way more advanced autopilots do. However, it's a very popular autopilot which is why we did it.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Win Tenk
Airman

Post by Win Tenk »

Gentlemen - thank you for your input.

The A2A Cherokee is by far my preferred GA aircraft to fly - and I think (or thought) i have a decent understanding of how the autopilot in NAV mode works and I use it constantly. But for some reason the other day - it just wouldn't turn onto the course properly. And it was after I had updated the AcuSim core, so I was just wondering. I haven't had a single minute since my first post to fly, so I need to give it another try for sure. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you again for taking the time to give your 2 cents. Very much appreciated.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”