Cannot Manual Start the Cherokee (P3D)

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Anxu
Airman Basic

Cannot Manual Start the Cherokee (P3D)

Post by Anxu »

Hello,

Hello,

I recently acquire this bird, but I cannot start the plane manually.

I have applied the April 20 Accusim Update, I can do autostart with this plane but when I attempt to do manual start, clicking on the "Start" button does nothing. Just to make sure I brought up the hangar and did an complete overhaul, then I did the sequence as it was in the checklist (as I remember it):

1. Master battery
2. Fuel selector on the full tank
3. Mixture : rich
4. Test fuel pump
5. 1-2 fuel prime
6. Open throttle slightly
7. Carb heat off
8. Magneto on "Both"
9. Start button -> nothing happen

What went wrong?

Sim: P3D 2.5 (latest build)

Thanks

Vu

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cannot Manual Start the Cherokee (P3D)

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

If auto start works fine it will be a pilot error upon starting. You can go through the check list under your shift + 2 menu to check everything, make sure to do your pre-flight walk around, check your required fluids are all good and that you are not running a flooded engine.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

One other thing to check as well as those points Lewis has mentioned is the electrical fuses. If nothing's happening when you depress the starter button, there a chance the rightmost (15 amp) fuse for the starter has popped out. This would tend to persist between flights and 'auto-start' will magically work even when the fuse has gone! :wink:

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Anxu
Airman Basic

Post by Anxu »

@Lewis: I did follow the checklist as you suggested before I posted the question. :)
@Nick: it was indeed the starter fuse popped out. Thanks

I still think that this state is a bug. How am I supposed to expect a brand new install having this state? Especially that auto start magically works as Nick said. I have done a complete overhaul as I tried to find out what happened yesterday and still the same. I would expect an overhaul to put the fuse at the right state? No?

Now I changed my EZDok camera angle so that I can easily check for the fuse.

Thanks

Vu

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Vu - glad you got it sorted. :)

Seems a bit odd that a new install would have this issue, but that's computers I guess! :? I think what's often overlooked is that as well as the 'complete overhaul' option in the maintenance hangar, there's also the 'reset' option in the shift + 3 menu. This is the same as manually deleting the aircraft log.dat I believe, and it'll reset airframe and engine hours to zero. Presumably this would also reset any fuses which the mechanic may have missed?

I tend to agree that the 'auto-start' option working, even with the starter fuse being popped is a bit counter-intuitive. Maybe A2A could consider adjusting the auto-start logic so that it resets any fuses as necessary as part of its little routine?

However, I guess you could argue that if they did that, you'd still be none-the-wiser as to why it wouldn't start manually, but at least you know to check that fuse now... :wink:

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

I would agree that you could call this a bug. The aircraft loading with the starter fuse in a disconnected state has been a persistent quirk since the Cherokee's release, though since it really doesn't damage functionality, usability, or realism, it's pretty easy to get away with calling it a "feature". :P

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

EnDSchultz wrote:I would agree that you could call this a bug. The aircraft loading with the starter fuse in a disconnected state has been a persistent quirk since the Cherokee's release, though since it really doesn't damage functionality, usability, or realism, it's pretty easy to get away with calling it a "feature". :P
If all aircraft in reality where good to go even from the show room, there wouldn't be a need for half the check lists or pre-flights, used or new :wink:

thanks,
Lewis

sierrasplitter
Airman Basic

Post by sierrasplitter »

I am a new user and was about to post the same question. Where do I find the hanger? The pre flight checklist? When I downloaded this aircraft I couldnt find the input coordinator and had to go to he folder in the Steam apps to put in a destop Icon. Im wondering if I need to extract more?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

sierrasplitter wrote:I am a new user and was about to post the same question. Where do I find the hanger? The pre flight checklist? When I downloaded this aircraft I couldnt find the input coordinator and had to go to he folder in the Steam apps to put in a destop Icon. Im wondering if I need to extract more?
Hello,

the manual for your simulation is under your start menu >> all programs >> A2A Simulations or if a win8 user on your start screen when show all apps is selected.

thanks,
Lewis

sierrasplitter
Airman Basic

Post by sierrasplitter »

Thanks Lewis. Just getting it figured out. will I be able to change switches with the mouse or is there anything I have to assign/change for that?
sorry, Im at work and hope to get it dailed in as soon as I get home.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Sierrasplitter.
You must install the latest updater using run as administrator and restart your computer once you have run it.

The manual is essential reading.

Here is a link to the updater http://www.a2asimulations.com/downloads ... _20_15.zip

Cheers Chris

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

sierrasplitter wrote:Thanks Lewis. Just getting it figured out. will I be able to change switches with the mouse or is there anything I have to assign/change for that?
sorry, Im at work and hope to get it dailed in as soon as I get home.
Yes you can use the mouse in the VC or map to switches/buttons

thanks,
Lewis

sierrasplitter
Airman Basic

Post by sierrasplitter »

Got it working. Thanks Guys.

sierrasplitter
Airman Basic

Post by sierrasplitter »

Well, almost

I want to calibrate the center points for rudder pedals and yoke but It wont work on the MFS control tab. Is it possible or do I just adjust rudder trim?

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

sierrasplitter wrote:Well, almost

I want to calibrate the center points for rudder pedals and yoke but It wont work on the MFS control tab. Is it possible or do I just adjust rudder trim?
Are you a new user to Microsoft Flight Simulator X? It sounds like you might need more of a primer on the simulator basics before digging straight into the Cherokee. :) Controller calibration is typically done with whatever software comes with your controller of choice (for example, CH Products use "CH Control Manager" to calibrate and adjust settings. Saitek would have their own software, Thrustmaster has their own, and so on.)

Then FSX is like another layer on top of that, which requires control button and axis assignments in the FSX settings.

The A2A "Input Configurator" is the last step where you would assign certain unique features in the Cherokee like AP mode, carb heat, etc.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”