Cherokee not interacting....

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
BILL1949
Airman First Class

Re: Cherokee not interacting....

Post by BILL1949 »

Nick

I've now created a vid & uploaded it to:
https://youtu.be/soxk8Yoe0mU

Cheers

Bill
A2A Spitfire, A2A Cherokee
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Coming to this a bit late and had a quick skim but cannot see the updater mentioned too much. Sorry if this has been mentioned but did you run the latest Accu-sim updater after installing the last A2A Aircraft?

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 16&t=57819

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Hi Lewis

Yep, ran it after each plane install (Spit & Cherokee - A2A_Update_9_16_18.EXE). It found each of the aircraft & applied updates - for the Cherokee (at least) it said it was updating from about 1.0 to something like 2.81-ish.

Something I mentioned earlier which might be relevant (?) is that one of the updates was to deal with a '...small black square...' that appears somewhere just above the instrument panel (..?..) as the Cherokee loads. Even after running the update, I'm still seeing a black square at that point for about a second, as it loads. It doesn't appear in the vid that I uploaded, but I think that's because I was looking down at the time of loading the aircraft (so maybe that square relates to a part of the plane, rather than to the loading window...).

Just a couple of mins ago I loaded the Cherokee - got the square.
Then I loaded the Spit & simply swapped to the Cherokee - got the square.
As it's just above the instrument panel, and doesn't appear when I'm looking down, I guess it relates to something OUTside the plane - but does the appearance of this square mean that the update hasn't properly applied itself...?

Trying to supply all possibly relevant info, I'll add that I'm using a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS. This in turn uses TARGET software in linking to the sim - but the Spit works fine by this and it uses the TARGET software more than the Cherokee does - & I don't think TARGET sends any commands for the Cherokee that aren't also used for the Spit.

Hope something here helps.

Best

Bill
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Bill,

Thanks for recording and posting the vid.

It doesn't give many clues that I can see, but one thing it does demonstrate is that the internal (Accu-Sim) sounds are actually playing in the Cherokee: I can hear switches and the sound of the storm window opening for example.

However, the starter doesn't seem to be making the sounds I'd expect and there's clearly something a bit odd going on.

One quick question. Are your FPS in FSX always that low? They seemed to average about 12-14 FPS as far as I could see, and if your CPU is under extreme load, that could explain the sim freeze. I don't think you've mentioned your PC specs in this thread, but they may be relevant.

Unfortunately in your video, you don't show the process of loading FSX from the desktop and then you switching directly from the default flight to the Cherokee. If you could record another quick vid showing this process, along with you checking the aircraft state in the maintenance hangar and attempting an autostart via the Shift 3 menu, that may help.

Also, you don't show us any of the engine instruments in your vid which makes it harder to tell what's going on 'behind the scenes' during the failed engine start.

Thanks,
Nick

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Hi Nick

I'm totally confused. I heard no Cherokee sounds in the cabin while I was recording it, and I just went to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soxk8Yoe0mU

...and re-watched it - and I'm hearing no Cherokee in-cockpit sounds whatsoever in that vid...?????
I get cockpit sounds in the Spit, but not in the Cherokee - not the switches, not the window...
I don't understand how you are hearing Cherokee cockpit sounds from that vid when I am not hearing any of them...??? How could that happen? Surely, a YouTube vid must give the same to anyone who views it...?

I know that my mouse-clicks are quite audible in the vid when I click on the panel switches, so I'm guessing that that's what you're hearing, rather than hearing the actual cockpit switches (?) (compare with the Spit switch sounds at beginning of vid.)
Again, this is the one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soxk8Yoe0mU

Is it possible that the Cherokee files (config?) are somehow setting the base volumes extremely low - so that even when the SHIFT3 vol slider is maxed they are still inaudible?
The original vid is one live & continuous recording, and there were no volume changes during the re-record, just those few times where I added some commentary while the vid was paused. The Spit switches etc are totally audible in this vid, just as I'd expect them to be.
I mention this point about config 'cos there was a point where I'm pretty sure I heard the gyro VERY faintly spin up & run down when the Master Switch was switched ON then OFF - tho' I can't hear it at all in this vid.

My frame-rate does drop low while on the ground, but generally picks up with alt. And, in honesty, it was pretty late when I did the vid & I can't be sure that other things weren't also running (eg - say, Outlook) which might take resource & affect frame-rate.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor, 4200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 750 Ti

"Unfortunately in your video, you don't show the process of loading FSX from the desktop and then you switching directly from the default flight to the Cherokee. If you could record another quick vid showing this process, along with you checking the aircraft state in the maintenance hangar and attempting an autostart via the Shift 3 menu, that may help."
I'll see what I can do regarding recording the FSX load & subsequent load of the Cherokee. Will come back on that.

"Also, you don't show us any of the engine instruments in your vid which makes it harder to tell what's going on 'behind the scenes' during the failed engine start."
Engine instruments - yeah - I only thought of that AFTER I linked the vid - but the engine does in fact start. I could have taken off (but with no sound of the engine). I've done that a couple of times but didn't do it for the vid as the main point of the vid was to demonstrate that the Spit works fine (for as long as I want to fly) but the Cherokee gives no sound & seems to crash FSX - and, to me, the vid does that.

Anyhoo. Many thanks for looking into this for me sir.

Regards

Bill
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

BILL1949 wrote:I know that my mouse-clicks are quite audible in the vid when I click on the panel switches, so I'm guessing that that's what you're hearing, rather than hearing the actual cockpit switches (?)
Yes, that's possible Bill - I'm afraid I was listening when I was on the boat I work on and there was quite a bit of background noise.

For what it's worth, the gyro sound is independent of the other internal Accu-Sim sounds so that's not too relevant I'm afraid.

If you are able to record some footage showing the Cherokee being loaded from scratch, and also confirming basic functionality of the Shift 3 and Shift 7 2-D panels that would be great.

Thanks,
Nick

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Nick,

Would these be symptoms of the cherokee dll not being trusted?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the suggestion Oracle, but I think if the Cherokee.dll isn't loaded successfully or 'trusted' by FSX then the main symptom will be that none of the radios will power on. Accu-Sim sounds would be unaffected I believe. In the video, the avionics master is in the 'off' position though, so it's hard to tell.

Nick

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Oracle427 wrote:Nick,

Would these be symptoms of the cherokee dll not being trusted?

Hi Oracle

Er... that's above my knowledge level...

Nick - thx for thoughts. Radios do light up.

In meantime I'll be trying to get the required 'load-up' vid recorded & posted.

Will also try to cover all the various requirements (engine gauges etc...).

BTW - FSX is giving high CPU load - about 50-75%. I Googled this & the suggestion seems to revolve around SP2... I downloaded this but got the '...installation could not complete - no changes made' message. Might this be relevant, but ONLY to the Cherokee...?
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Bill. No need for service packs if you're using the Steam Edition of FSX.

Nick

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

OK Nick.

I've now uploaded a 'Take 2' of my Cherokee sound issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgCz4Ou0Wv8

This includes a look at settings, and the full load-in to Stapleford (6 min.....). I have the Environment & Voice sounds muted, Engines & Cockpit maxed & airport traffic set to zero to give best chance of hearing the sounds.

Hopefully, this will give the info that you've requested. Watch out for the volume of the external engine sound.....

NOTE: I'm surprised that it took about 6 mins to load to Stapleford, 'cos I'm sure it also used to take 6 mins when FSX was on hard drive - then it reduced to about 2 mins when I moved it to SSD maybe about a year ago. The recent install was directly to the SSD.

I'm still trying to look into the sound thing myself too, & I'm just wondering..... - there are numerous sound.cfg files, so is it possible that a config somewhere is turning off the Cherokee sounds....?
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for posting the second vid Bill. I'll get back to you once I've had a chance to take a proper look. I'm working away from home at the mo', so this may be Thursday.

Cheers,
Nick

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

OK. Cheers Nick.
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello again Bill,

I've had a chance to look at that vid now. I really think there's a problem somewhere with your PC or Windows installation. For the most part, your FPS are in single figures with low CPU and GPU usage. Is this normal for your FSX experience? If so, I'm not surprised that you're experiencing freezes.

A few things you could try:

1. Perform a virus/malware scan of your system.
2. Make sure your BIOS is properly updated.
3. Reset any Windows power savings profiles back to default.
4. Delete your FSX.cfg so that a new one is generated.

Thanks,
Nick

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Hi Nick. Thx for checking this out for me.

Is there that much difference between the A2A Spit & Cherokee then?
Spit runs for long periods, even when live-streaming, with no issues at all... For Spit, frame rate varies from about 7.5 (only for very brief periods, maybe even less than a second) to about mid to higher 20s - I'd guess averaging about 17-20fps.

You haven't mentioned the missing Cherokee in-cockpit sounds....
Is this because you feel that it's ALL related to some kind of PC issue (even tho all other games & progs run & stream OK...)?
eg - Last night, I live-streamed the Spit for about 45mins with no issues (apart from me forgetting that 'Cold & Dark' puts prop-pitch fully coarse - no good for take-off.... :oops: )

If there's any point in watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwVSrw2NTKM
At Southend - me failing & faffing, then to Stapleford - total of about 45mins from about the 3hrs 40mins mark.

Re your notes:

1. System gets scanned on a regular basis anyway.
2. BIOS was updated recently, but will see about checking that (& I've seen it said that 'If it ain't busted.....').
3. I'll try resetting power profiles to default
4. I'll delete the FSX.cfg (to me, this somehow feels the most likely of the 4).
.....................BUT - I can't find it (is it actually named as FSX.cfg?). Checked my user AppData files, likely FSX sub-folders (Config & ConfigData) & files directly in the FSX folder. Where SHOULD I find it?

Thx

Bill
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”