Cherokee - low frame rates

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
BILL1949
Airman First Class

Cherokee - low frame rates

Post by BILL1949 »

Hi Folks. Wonder if anyone can help here.

Having been ably assisted by 'Nick - A2A' to resolve an issue with (virtually) no sounds from Cherokee cockpit, I now need to try to address the low frame-rates that I get in the Cherokee (roughly 7-20fps - but single figures at various times).
In my A2A Spit I get more like 17-28fps with the same settings & under the same circumstances.

Examples (in each vid below, consider the section where I taxi from active runway to just in front of the 2 parked C47s):

Cherokee @ Duxford Air Show- https://youtu.be/lDXKy03_ZSs (fps drops to ~7)
...as opposed to..
Spit @ Duxford Air Show (same settings etc) - https://youtu.be/xJ90LUzXQfc (fps doesn't drop below 12, and sometimes gets to 30+)

Is this just something about the Cherokee (& so I should expect a drop in frame-rate in the Cherokee...)? If so, I guess I must live with it.

Or - (despite multiple attempts to re-install) is it possible that my Cherokee install still has an issue...??

Thx in advance to anyone who might chip-in here...

Bill
A2A Spitfire, A2A Cherokee
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Cherokee - low frame rates

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi again Bill,

It is normal that the Cherokee is more demanding in terms of fps than the Spitfire. It's a more recent product with more complex 3-D modelling and texturing inside the virtual cockpit, and more click spots.

It sounds like your system is on the edge of what will run FSX comfortably when using complex add-on aircraft and scenery. I'd suggest you try experimenting a bit with reducing some of the sliders a bit in the simulator to see if you can boost performance somewhat. You might also want to try benchmarking fps with different scenarios (for example compare with the default C172SP at a default airport) to see which add-ons are causing the biggest loss of fps.

Thanks,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”