CTD in .NET, address exception

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Hook
Master Sergeant

CTD in .NET, address exception

Post by Hook »

I've been flying the Cherokee a lot lately and enjoying it.

On my last flight I was 1.7 hours into the flight when the screen froze and eventually P3D version 2.5 crashed. The Event Viewer indicated an address exception 0xC0000005 with address 0xffffffff. Less than 3 gig VAS used at that point. I had just leveled off after a descent and had adjusted power and was starting to adjust mixture when the freeze happened. I was flying over the Galapagos.

I have the P3D version of the Cherokee. I ran the updater recently. I start my flights from a previously saved flight with the same aircraft and always after restarting P3D. I am running Active Sky Next but no other programs within P3D including FSUIPC.

The only thing I did unusual was cycle through the various GPS options at some point earlier in the flight. Is this known to create a problem? I suspect the small airport on the east edge of the big island was about to appear on the GPS 400 (range 10) after I turned north from the volcano at the south edge of the island.

Anything I need to know at this point?

An address of 0xffffffff usually means that some routine returns -1 as an error code instead of a valid address and this error is not checked at the return but the return value is used as an address. I recently found one of these in someone else's code for another game.

Hook

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: CTD in .NET, address exception

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

nothing our end to be aware off, it could just be one of the old platform bugs. Is there any reason you are still running the old 2.5 version that is now 2 full generations behind the current?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: CTD in .NET, address exception

Post by Hook »

Lewis - A2A wrote:nothing our end to be aware off, it could just be one of the old platform bugs. Is there any reason you are still running the old 2.5 version that is now 2 full generations behind the current?
Yeah: the A2A Piper Cub. :D Which is also several generations behind the current, although it works in P3Dv2. And other add-ons. Some of these are no longer for sale so will obviously never be updated, and no suitable replacements exist.

All that plus the fact that I already have version 2.5 and don't feel like spending $200 per version for upgrades. Or buying new versions of add-ons where P3Dv4 versions even exist. I could get version 3 and maintain compatibility with my legacy stuff, or version 4 and basically start over with only a few exceptions. This is one reason why people still run FSX which is 4 full generations behind the current. I've already got a few add-ons that won't work outside of FSX.

At least I can get a P3Dv4 version of Accu-Feel. This is a major plus. And Active Sky.

Thanks for the info on the CTD. Right now everything points to the fact that I swapped GPSs without restarting the sim. I knew before I did it that it might cause a problem, so I guess the fact that I had a CTD on a non-essential flight ends up being a good thing. The only other cause I can think of was the fact that the crash happened the instant I started to move the mixture lever and I'm not sure if any part of that processing goes through .NET.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”