Bush Bashing in PNG

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
Amoun
Airman

Bush Bashing in PNG

Post by Amoun »

He guys.
I've noticed a few people like to post screenshots of their adventures in their A2A craft and I quite enjoy those threads. I'm not good at telling a story via screenshots but I'd like to share a video of a recent bush flight in PNG instead. I'd just gotten my first repaint of the 182 to a usable state and wanted to celebrate by taking it for a quick flight. I wanted to do something that was a bit more challenging than I'd normally do though so I decided to take it into the PNG highlands and land it on a little bush strip that I had only ever taken the Cub to (Emo Mission).

I'm not a very skilled sim pilot as of yet and the approach/landing at this bush strip is quite a challenge for me. Especially in a plane that has the horse power of the 182. The approach and landing was more like a controlled crash than a well executed touch down, but there were no fiery balls of death so that's a big win in my books. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHngx22Te6o[/youtube]

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Bush Bashing in PNG

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

Awesome! I like flying into those small airstrips. Good job man and thanks for posting! 8)
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great video indeed, and videos are just as welcome here as the image/text story's, please do keep them coming. Ive subscribed to your channel too.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Amoun
Airman

Post by Amoun »

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really like the little airstrips in PNG. Following the Kokoda track and braving some of the strips on hill sides in the Cub has been some of the most fun I've had in FSX to date. There is no way I could get the 182 onto most of them safely at this point, but it is something to work towards. :)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I enjoyed the video Scott. Looked like a fine landing to me although I was on the verge of shouting "tree" in a shrill and high-pitched voice at one stage on the approach! :shock:

Did you ever figure out what was causing the engine RPM to surge on take-off. Mine's sounded like that before when I've tried to take-off with the mixture leaned (not that I ever do such a thing :wink: ) but your mixture was fine...

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Amoun
Airman

Post by Amoun »

I never did work out what the deal with the engine was Nick. That was the first and only time I encountered it. Mixture was full rich. After dropping the RPM back everything returned to normal and there was nothing to report in the maintenance hangar. As for that tree, it was an "Oh cr*p" moment for me as well lol. . :)

-Scott C.

rjoosterloo
Airman First Class

Post by rjoosterloo »

Great video! And a great scenery to fly in. Quite a nice landing too, couldn't have done it any better :D
Check my overviews of C172, Cherokee 180, C182 Skylane, Comanche 250 and Texan repaints.

Image Image Image

ebo
Master Sergeant

Post by ebo »

Great video. No blaring music in the background. Just pure aircraft sounds.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9500 mit Tapatalk
Regards
Eberhard Haberkorn

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Great video. I really like the airstrip you took off from and the one you landed at. Are these fictional airstrips? My dad (91) spent lots of time in PNG during WWII. In real life, if your going to be doing lots of bush flying, I'd remove the wheel pants. They don't survive to long in the bush. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed it very much.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :D

rcoultas
Airman First Class

Post by rcoultas »

Loved the video!...Tree? what tree! lol. Trees are 90% air!

Seriously, great job man, keep em' coming.
Cheers,
Randall

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Amoun wrote:I never did work out what the deal with the engine was Nick. That was the first and only time I encountered it. Mixture was full rich. After dropping the RPM back everything returned to normal and there was nothing to report in the maintenance hangar. As for that tree, it was an "Oh cr*p" moment for me as well lol. . :)

-Scott C.

My immediate reaction to that sound was fouled sparkplugs. 2000 feet elevation - did you have full rich mixture?
A runup would have been a smart thing, especially since margins for engine failures/trouble isn't too great around those strips.

Anyway - fantastic video, and a good landing. I was sitting and screaming for you to chop the power, but you knew the strip well and did a remarkable landing! :-D

And I agree - bush-kit (with all kinds of bells and whistles like tundras, floats and amphibians) is needed! :-D
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Great video....Better landing than mine, but I think next attempt will have me landing beyond that "hump" as I got a free ride and good little bump when I reached that spot with a bit too much speed :oops: Departure is pretty entertaining as well from the top of the slope and then staring down that waterfall on climb out :shock: Keep this up and I will need a SusiAir paint lol

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Great video. Hope you post some more. I think your engine misfire was due to fouled spark plugs. I've had this myself. Always lean after start, but always do you power checks too, at full rich if below 5,000ft. Checking mag drop/fouled plugs is important to avoid "mishaps".

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

monica6211
Staff Sergeant

Post by monica6211 »

Excellent video Scott. That was a very good landing. I don't land mine that well yet. But I'm working on it. Very nice scenery as well. I especially liked the waterfall. Thank you for sharing.

Monica
Well, Back to Flying,
Monica

ImageImageImageImageImage

Amoun
Airman

Post by Amoun »

You guys are probably right about the fouled plugs. Listening at the very start of the video I can hear it misfire. As suggested, a run up check probably should have been done. I'd not done one in quite a while because well, I'd never encountered a problem before during one. I thought perhaps that wasn't modeled in Accusim. I just did one in the 172 however and found problems during the left mag check so I was certainly wrong there.:)

Cliff, the strips are not fictional, at least not that I know. I've looked at my departure strip via satellite photos and it looks pretty accurate. Not sure about the Emo mission strip, but I have no reason to think it is. Both strips are done by Orbx. There some others down the Kokoda track that I have also seen in real life videos and seem accurate.

Metdner, the mixture was leaned on the ground, went to full rich just prior to take off and was then leaned a little during climb (at 2500 ft). Just enough to put the fuel flow at the top of the green with 23" MP. To be honest, I think I may have fouled my plugs a little during the taxi at the end of my previous flight.

I's nice to hear some kind words about the landing. Once I rounded the corner for final the whole thing felt a bit panicked. I didn't want to come in too hot and over shoot or run out of runway but in the process I think I over compensated and came in a little short. Maybe it felt worse than it looked.:)

-Scott C.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”