Flying home for christmas (?) - a new USA-Norway adventure.

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Flying home for christmas (?) - a new USA-Norway adventu

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Nice screenshots and cool destination.

Thanks for sharing!!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

VH-MAL
Senior Airman

Post by VH-MAL »

Incredible screenshots and an incredible landing.

I hope you don't mind Erik, but I would like to use all your screenshots as my screensaver pictures (on shuffle).

Malcolm

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

VH-MAL wrote:Incredible screenshots and an incredible landing.

I hope you don't mind Erik, but I would like to use all your screenshots as my screensaver pictures (on shuffle).

Malcolm
Haha! Sure, go ahead. :-) There should be plenty of shots so that you will probably not see the same one twice too often. I have a similar, if shorter, thread with the Cherokee - hundreds of shots there too. :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Enjoying your flights. Great pictures.

VH-MAL
Senior Airman

Post by VH-MAL »

Medtner wrote:

Malcolm
Haha! Sure, go ahead. :-) There should be plenty of shots so that you will probably not see the same one twice too often. I have a similar, if shorter, thread with the Cherokee - hundreds of shots there too. :-)
Thanks Erik, and yes, I have noticed all the Cherokee shots also. They will be good as a variation!

And thank you for introducing me to Medtner - as a lover of music I have added his work to my listening pleasure.

I look forward to your continuing journey.

Malcolm

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

VH-MAL wrote:
Medtner wrote:

Malcolm
Thanks Erik, and yes, I have noticed all the Cherokee shots also. They will be good as a variation!

And thank you for introducing me to Medtner - as a lover of music I have added his work to my listening pleasure.

I look forward to your continuing journey.

Malcolm
Fantastic that you are listening to Medtner! He is my favourite composer of all time, and he is in good company with the other great russians; Rachmaninoff; Prokofiev; Shostakovich; Kabalevsky; and others. :)

More trips coming soon, but I'm not far from home now. This means I will have to make a few more detours - don't want this trip to end. :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

If you end it you could always start a new one,... just how many of those Norway strips have you visited in the C182? hint hint hehe :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Lewis - A2A wrote:If you end it you could always start a new one,... just how many of those Norway strips have you visited in the C182? hint hint hehe :mrgreen:
Indeed I can, and indeed I shall. ;-)

With the 182 I haven't been in Norway at all - no cheating. ;-)

I'll see what happens, but I always hoped that I would be able to explore Norway with an A2A Comanche. Just have to get it home first.....hint hint ;-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

VH-MAL
Senior Airman

Post by VH-MAL »

Medtner wrote:
Lewis - A2A wrote:If you end it you could always start a new one,... just how many of those Norway strips have you visited in the C182? hint hint hehe :mrgreen:
Indeed I can, and indeed I shall. ;-)

With the 182 I haven't been in Norway at all - no cheating. ;-)

I'll see what happens, but I always hoped that I would be able to explore Norway with an A2A Comanche. Just have to get it home first.....hint hint ;-)
Sounds like a plan! :D

Malcolm

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Leg 32: Courchevel Altiport (LFLJ), France, to Triengen Airport (LSPN), Switzerland.

To preflight the aircraft at Courchevel is to ask for trouble, as the view is so fantastic that one can easily overlook all kinds of problems. However, it needs to be done...

About to line up at runway 4. I was treated to a light drizzle that lasted for a few minutes. 33 degrees Celcius, high altitudes and high dewpoint? Good recipe for bad performance from the Lycoming...

And indeed I was getting only something like 22 inches of manifold pressure. Good thing this runway is almost like a ski-jump. I was puckered up as if I had eaten a huge indian meal and had laxative for dessert...

After having negotiated the valleys I crossed over to Switzerland. Geneva is to my left, and just west of the airport (barely visible) lies CERN - the huge particle accelerator, in which scientists are finding all kinds of interesting things about the quantum world.

Apart from a "near-miss" (a near-hit, to be exact - the English language has a plethora of silly sayings) with a twin-Cessna 15 minutes after passing over Geneva, nothing of particular interest happened.
Here I'm coming to Lake Lucerne, just to the south-east of my destination for the day.

Coming in for one of 3 tries to land at Triengen Airport. I miscalculated my approach and was way to high already over Lucerne. Had to circle several times to bleed of altitude. When I finally set up for approach I couldn't make the Skylane slow down. The first try was a clear go around - the runway is only 1300 feet and I need it all. Look at the unstable configuration:

Left downwind during one of the subsequent tries.

The third time went reasonably well - not perfect by a long shot, but serviceable. Slower and slightly offset, between the trees.

103.0 hours. At some point I need to find a Cessna-service center - I haven't had a service on it since Ascension Island. The oil is getting a little nasty.

Getting my picture taken while taking a picture of my Cessna...
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

jacenbourne
Airman

Post by jacenbourne »

Awesome pictures, really loving this adventure. I fly a Skylane in real life and love how you've connected some of A2A's simulation with some elements I pay attention to in the real thing.

Just a quick question on your most recent approach - did you try doing a forward slip on final? Skylane's sink like a rock if you cut the power and slip them. I've done it a few times! :lol:

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

jacenbourne wrote:Awesome pictures, really loving this adventure. I fly a Skylane in real life and love how you've connected some of A2A's simulation with some elements I pay attention to in the real thing.

Just a quick question on your most recent approach - did you try doing a forward slip on final? Skylane's sink like a rock if you cut the power and slip them. I've done it a few times! :lol:
How cool to hear from a real pilot! Please tell us a little about what those elements are - I'm always in the market for learning better moves or more realistic flying. I'm usually aiming for as much realism as I can put into it (and my knowledge is the limit ;-).

I did sideslip indeed, but it wasn't enough. The first try was very unstable because of my late recovery from the slip. A bit of gusty crosswind didn't help...
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Hey Erik great to see you back on this trip! Can I ask if that's addon scenery for Courchevel airport?
I flew my Comache back from Morocco (brought in FSeconomy) and I spent some time around that area and completely forgot about that place! :roll:
Must visit me thinks! :D

Keep up the great posts.

John.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

G-BJPS wrote:Hey Erik great to see you back on this trip! Can I ask if that's addon scenery for Courchevel airport?
I flew my Comache back from Morocco (brought in FSeconomy) and I spent some time around that area and completely forgot about that place! :roll:
Must visit me thinks! :D

Keep up the great posts.

John.

Indeed Courchevel is an addon - it probably looks like hell in stock FSX/P3D.

http://www.llhinfo.com/llh5x_en.html

Make a visit - its fun! Try landing on Runway 4 with the Comanche. :-P
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Thanks Erik :) I will definitely try it in the Comanche!
And yeah, I imagine the stock scenery is bad lol.
I'm using FTX Global + Vector and Open LC Europe, quite impressed with it so far, not checked Courchevel yet but I image it has flat runway......thanks for the link, I'll get that!

Safe landings!

John.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”