This Snowbird's headed South...

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
N324JK
Staff Sergeant

This Snowbird's headed South...

Post by N324JK »

So I just got my custom-painted 182 back from the paint shop (thanks, Al!).

I'm in the Chicago area, and I'm looking to follow the snowbirds South to the Sunshine State for the Winter.

Any suggestions for stops along the way? Trying to keep legs under 2 hours, but I also kinda want to have fun with this (I may also do this trip in real life some day, so consider this research on my part).

Thanks!
Jon K.
Image Image Image ImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: This Snowbird's headed South...

Post by Lewis - A2A »

No idea other than maybe visiting some add-on scenery airports along the way?

Are you an orbx user? theres those freeware airfields dotted around the globe with tons for the US. Or maybe some places with interesting museums along the way?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I'll get you a route give me the two airports

N324JK
Staff Sergeant

Post by N324JK »

awash2002 wrote:I'll get you a route give me the two airports
I would start at Schaumburg Regional (06C) and finish at Orlando Sanford International (KSFB). As Lewis suggested, I'd like to keep it to making stops at airports provided in the Orbx Global NA Freeware Scenery pack along the way (as much as possible, anyway). So if you're willing to help figure some of that out, thanks!
Jon K.

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

I just cobbled this together pretty quickly, but how about something like this: 06C -> KEYE -> KLOU -> KAVL -> KHXD -> KSFB? All those airports (except the final destination, of course) are part of the Orbx Global NA Freeware Scenery packs, and that route should keep the legs under two hours and give you some very nice scenery along the way. It'll take you through the Appalachian Mountains and then down the coast from Hilton Head to KSFB.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=35.6555109025 ... HXD%20KSFB

Just a thought. Awash2002 may be able to figure out an even better route for you. :)

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

It's a slight zigzag but gives you seven of the free ORBX airports using VOR's and NDB's to get you where you need to be. Short flights under an hour or less for T&G's, layovers or waypoints. No thought other than that. :lol:

I can give you the flight plan as a .pln file or a PlanG file if you want to look at it, just let me know and I will upload it to a Box site.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

06C to KSFB

LAIRD V7 BVT V399 VHP V53 IIU V51 DBN V267 WORMS

Dist:892.5ETE:6:43Burn:86.9

boeingman29562
Airman First Class

Post by boeingman29562 »

I would certainly recommend Asheville airport KAVL in NC as a stop. Very pretty views, and an ILS in case of bad weather. You can find some freeware for the airport at freewarescenery.com, along with scenery for other airports you may go to. Have fun on your flight!
-Josh McCorquodale

N324JK
Staff Sergeant

Post by N324JK »

Thanks, everyone, all great ideas! What I may end up doing is using one of the routes for the flight down, then using one of the other routes on the way back up. Depending on how it goes, I may just use this as the kick-off to a flight around the continental U.S., pacing it out so that I finish in Washington, then up the coast to Alaska after the spring thaw. The great thing about A2A and flight sim is that it lets me do something my checkbook would probably never allow.

Either way, I'll try to post regular updates with photos. If I do go the whole way around the U.S., I'd love for even more suggestions on places to stop.

Thanks!
Jon K.

N324JK
Staff Sergeant

Post by N324JK »

So here's the update...

I decided that I'm going to use Brett's routing, with a couple of tweaks. First, after Mountain Air (2NC0), I'm going to do a quick stop at Ashville (KAVL), based on Josh and BPL's suggestion. Then, after Heaven's Landing (GE99), I'm actually going to swing out to Hilton Head (KHXD) before following the coast down to McKinnon (KSSI). So the final routing looks like this:

06C-KMGC-KPLD-I69-KMKJ-2NC0-KAVL-GE99-KHXD-KSSI-KSFB

On that note, I've already done the first two legs and I'm parked at Portland for the night. The first leg I had to do IFR most of the way because...well, that's Chicago in the late fall. We've had some fog and low ceilings the last few days, so it was a tough call but I decided to get moving on it. The second leg, which I flew tonight, was beautiful VFR the whole way, a few bumps along the way but nothing to get nervous about. The only unfortunate part is that I've only had time to fly at night, which doesn't make for the best screenshots in FSX - hopefully, I'll have a day flight in here soon to be able to post some pics.

Overall, I've logged 2.1 on the Hobbs so far, everything's running smooth. I did have a little water in the tank when I was about to depart 06C (always do that pre-flight!), but otherwise, the plane's running great. Next it's on to Sporty's - and I wouldn't feel right if I didn't do at least a little Christmas shopping while I was there. :wink: I'm thinking I'll wait for a day flight on that one, so the next update can have a picture or two.

Keep the blue side up!
Jon K.

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

Enjoy the flight, sounds like a solid flightplan. :)
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

N324JK
Staff Sergeant

Post by N324JK »

Thanks, Brett!

I did make the leg to Sporty's/Clermont Co (I69) today - about an hour from chocks out to chocks in. Nasty headwind of 30+ knots half the way. Had to let good ol' Otto Pilot do most of the flying, having to divide my attention to other activities. The good news is that I was able to get some fairly good pics out of the flight.

Departing Portland Muni (KPLD), turning south on course toward the Richmond (RID) VOR.

En route to RID at 5,500'. Turned out to be a beautiful sunset flight the whole way, my favorite time to fly!

Departing outbound from RID, direct for Sporty's. The intent was to keep to the outer ring of the CVG Class B, staying under the shelf to avoid the need for a clearance.

Under the CVG Class B outer ring at 3,500'. The shelf is fairly high (5,000'), and in the distance I think you can just make out the runways for Covington/Northern Kentucky (KCVG).

Sporty's in sight. Even though it's not technically the best way to enter the pattern, I was somewhat under a time crunch, and with only one other AI plane in the pattern, I entered on a high right base for Runway 22.

Finally, tied down in the grass on the East side of the airport. Interesting that Orbx scenery has parking in the grass between taxiways - first time I've seen it done in FSX (and not entirely sure how true to life it is).

In any event, it was a fun flight, and I'll be looking forward to the next stop at Mountain Empire (KMKJ) in Southwest Virginia. Stay tuned!
Jon K.

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

Beautiful screenshots, Jon! I'm really looking forward to seeing some shots from the rest of your trip! The route you've chosen will take you to some very interesting airports, and the upcoming segment of your route that runs through Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia will give you a wonderful aerial tour of the Blue Ridge Mountains—looking forward to that!

Happy flying, and keep those screenshots coming! :D

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

wow, beautiful screen shots indeed, love the sky colours! 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

N324JK
Staff Sergeant

Post by N324JK »

Thanks for the compliments! The next leg is one of the longer hauls, with an ETE of about 2 hours:

https://skyvector.com/?ll=37.4609064176 ... RFF%20KMKJ

I could go direct, but I personally like to keep my routes tied to ground-based nav aids as a way to keep my GPS honest. Also, this routing has a lot of airports along the way, so I'll have a lot of "outs" if that A2A Accu-sim realism decides to kick in.
Jon K.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”