Excessive Elevator Pitch Sensitivity

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
DYFLWD
Airman Basic

Excessive Elevator Pitch Sensitivity

Post by DYFLWD »

I am having issues with excessive Elevator Pitch Sensitivity on my A2A C182.
My Specs:
Prepar3d v4 (with very good frame rates)
Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and Rudder Pedals
Elevator sensitivity Full
Elevator Null 1
Tried max realism and easy..no change

I am a FAA certified flight instructor, CFII, MEI, land and sea. ATP with several type ratings, Learjet, B737, etc.
I have several thousands of hours in general aviation aircraft. I include this to preclude assumptions that its "Pilot error"

It is very difficult to do a nice landing without bouncing and pitching up during the flare. It is way to sensitive on my set up anyway. Does anyone else have this problem?
Is there a way to turn down the pitch sensitivity. In flight it handles beautifully until you get to about 80-70 kts with full flaps.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Excessive Elevator Pitch Sensitivity

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello DYFLWD,

A handful of users do complain about excessive pitch sensitivity and I think there are a few reasons for this.

In the case of those (like yourself) with extensive real world flying experience, I believe it can sometimes be a challenge to adapt the control movements used in real aircraft to those needed in the sim. Desktop sim controllers have limited 'throw' compared to their real counterparts, don't exert variable control forces depending on airspeed, and—in the case of the Saitek yoke—have a central 'detent' which some users complain about.

In other words, our flight sim controllers in most case are rather cheap and nasty when compared to the real thing.

For an experienced real world pilot, I also suspect the somewhat reduced visual and physical cues during the landing flare may make adapting technique to a desktop sim quite tricky too.

Have you been using flight sims and in particular the 182 in P3Dv4 for a while, or are you a fairly new convert?

Thanks,
Nick

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Just wanted to add that the 182 contains a "simulated elevator force" utility that is built in due to some folks having elevator sensitivity. You can find out more about it here:
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 07&t=46313

The option is located under the Shift+3 window for "Controls."
ImageImage
ImageImage

DYFLWD
Airman Basic

Post by DYFLWD »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hello DYFLWD,

A handful of users do complain about excessive pitch sensitivity and I think there are a few reasons for this.

In the case of those (like yourself) with extensive real world flying experience, I believe it can sometimes be a challenge to adapt the control movements used in real aircraft to those needed in the sim. Desktop sim controllers have limited 'throw' compared to their real counterparts, don't exert variable control forces depending on airspeed, and—in the case of the Saitek yoke—have a central 'detent' which some users complain about.

In other words, our flight sim controllers in most case are rather cheap and nasty when compared to the real thing.

For an experienced real world pilot, I also suspect the somewhat reduced visual and physical cues during the landing flare may make adapting technique to a desktop sim quite tricky too.

Have you been using flight sims and in particular the 182 in P3Dv4 for a while, or are you a fairly new convert?

Thanks,
Nick
Thanks for your input Nick. Yes I am aware of the issue with the center detent in the Saitek yoke but mine is modified to get rid of. I also used my joystick with the same problem. It really has to much response at slow speeds fully configured. Other aircraft work fine.thanks

DYFLWD
Airman Basic

Post by DYFLWD »

CodyValkyrie wrote:Just wanted to add that the 182 contains a "simulated elevator force" utility that is built in due to some folks having elevator sensitivity. You can find out more about it here:
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 07&t=46313

The option is located under the Shift+3 window for "Controls."
Thanks I'll give it a go

DYFLWD
Airman Basic

Post by DYFLWD »

Shift+3 brings up this control panel. What is:
Volume
- 0 +
AUTO-C&D OFF

I looked through the manual and found no reference to these. Thanks all

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Try the little - 0 + thingy.
ImageImage
ImageImage

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

I used to fly gliders some years ago and also got some stick time in TMGs.
I still find it hard to do a real proper flare in the sim with the A2A GAs, especially because you have essentially no feedback in the stick/yoke forces.
Also using the Saitek, but stock with the centering active.
I put my hopes on the upcoming Honeycomb units.. I guess until the I have to play with the simulated force setting once more..

Gesendet von meinem F8331 mit Tapatalk
Kind regards, Matthias

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

For ga's i use the ch yoke, mostly becouse of its free floating shaft. The play where it doesn't center is covered with the null zone, and of course full sens is set. I don't really have problems with flaring for the most part, 172 for example is a bit twitchy there, i observed and it likes to fall a bit abruptly. What i do in the last moments is a little bit of pumping the yoke just as it settles, tiny movements up and down to keep the plane at the right altitude and the nose on the horizon, it keeps me from overcontrolling quitie nicely, however i do it only if i feel its needed (and mostly in 172 :) ) 182 has a bit more predictable behavior there i feel.

And yes, im waiting for honeycomb as well :)

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”