Question on F1 GTN 650 & 750 radios

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
Slick09
Airman

Question on F1 GTN 650 & 750 radios

Post by Slick09 »

I mistakenly installed both the F1 GTN 650 & 750 in my 182, my intention was to install only the 750. Anyway i decided to leave both of them in there and see how they work together. What I can't figure out, is how to get COM1 & COM2 working at the same time. I've tried the buttons at the top of the 750 - selecting either 1 or 2 and I also tried the knob at the top right of the 750 (selecting C1 or C2). No matter what I've tried, I cannot get COM2 two to work?

ps. does the GTN 650 have a NAV frequency tuner? If so how do i select it?

THnx for the help!!

Richard

rlashier
Airman

Re: Question on F1 GTN 650 & 750 radios

Post by rlashier »

The GTN 650 does have the nav radio tuning, but first, you need to click your mouse cursor just to the left of the right hand side tuning knobs. There is a click spot to the left of this knob, and when you click that, the radio frequencies will toggle between COM radio and NAV radio. (It defaults to COM radio, so you must click the click spot to be able to adjust NAV radio). Once you have the NAV frequencies displaying in the radio window in upper right of the 650, click on the standby window, and you will then get access to the touch screen like number keyboard, where you can then just click on the digits of the frequency you want to set. Once the numbers are in the standby window, click on the active window above it, and the frequency you just entered will flip into the active window. It's that easy.
As for your issue with keeping COM 1 and COM2 sorted out, while I have not installed the units you installed, I had a similar issue when I installed two 650s in another aircraft. The way to keep this straight is to go to the F! GTN configurator app. When you open it, you will see that your A2A aircraft is shown as having the GTNs installed. Click on the configure GTN tab, and then for each of the 650 and 750 units (one is Unit 1 and the other Unit 2), designate one as the one that will use COM1 and NAV1, and then designate the other unit to use COM2 and NAV2. Then click Enter and your radio frequency sorting should be done. You just go to the respective units to tune the COM and NAV radios, using the click spot and process discussed above.

Rich

Slick09
Airman

Post by Slick09 »

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll fire up the 182 this evening and follow your instructions. I'll let you know.

Richard

Slick09
Airman

Post by Slick09 »

Hi Rich,

It took me a little longer than planned to get back to my sim. Based on your instructions i was able to find the click spot to change between NAV and COM on the GTN 650, unfortunately, (at least for me) the clickspot only works in windowed mode (if i click on the GTN 650 and make it a 2D window).

As far as sorting com 1 & 2 out between the 650 & 750, no joy there. I checked the GTN configurator and i already had the 750 U1 set for COM1 & the 650 U1 set for COM2. I'll probably just go back to the original radio that came with the 182 (for my second radio).

Thnx for the ideas though!!

Richard

simonflight
Airman First Class

Post by simonflight »

Hi Richard,

Just in case you haven't done already, have you actually turned the nav/com 2 radio on ?

I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong but what you have to do is go to the shift 3 menu click on the '750/650' button in the middle to change it to 'NO GPS'. This will switch back to the original radio stack. I suspect the nav/com 2 radio will be off. Turn it on and go back to the shift 3 menu and switch back to 750/650.

You should only need to do this once.

Hope this helps in some way

Regards
Simon

Slick09
Airman

Post by Slick09 »

Hi Simon - i will give your suggestion a try and report back. Thnx for the ideas!!

Richard

Slick09
Airman

Post by Slick09 »

Simon - your advice was spot on!!! Use the mini control panel (Shift 3) to disable the GTN suite, then turn the #2 radio on, then re enable the GTN suite and bang, I can use hear the coms on the GTN 650.

On the other issue, to switch between the COM and NAV on the GTN 650 in the VC, you have to press the middle mouse button. Unfortunately, if you use EZDOK like I do, the middle mouse button is already in use and thus, switching between COM and NAV in the VC isn't possible for me.

Thannx for the help Simon, much appreciated!!

Richard

simonflight
Airman First Class

Post by simonflight »

Hi Richard,

Glad I could help

Regards
Simon

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”