Constantly turning to the left

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
sidfadc
Airman First Class

Constantly turning to the left

Post by sidfadc »

First of all I am absolutely loving this aircraft, its my first payware purchase on fsx and the difference compared to the stock aircraft is very noticeable. I'm a complete newbie to fsx although I have racked up over 160 hours in about 6 weeks and I have learned a hell of a lot about aviation in such a short space of time.

So its not surprising that i am struggling to fly this plane probably because i dont have full understanding of all the systems and mechanics. My problem is this, the aircraft constantly wants to bank left, how do i fix this?

I have auto rudder and auto mixture OFF.
i have the ame amount of fuel in both wings.

To counterbalance the turn to the left I am using the Rudder Trim, is this correct? Even using rudder trim I can't quite level off the aircraft so im constantly fighting it.

Any advice or help would be greated appreciated!

Cheers
Sid

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Constantly turning to the left

Post by Scott - A2A »

First, make sure you have the latest update here:
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 23&t=41279

Also, in general, when you are applying power at anything less than a rather strong cruise speed, the airplane will slowly bank left. And yes, you can certainly use rudder trim for climb and then even a bit in cruise, if you wish.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

skiwoods
Airman

Post by skiwoods »

You may want to also calibrate your joystick/flight yoke. That can be done in FSX.
Gene Woods
RW PP ASEL - IA
1998 Cessna 182S

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I'd also double check your pre-flight walk around to check all is well and also the Maintenance hanger. I suffered a damaged flap recently flying the 182 around Hawaii and it was immediately apparent as I was having to use nigh on full deflection to keep her level. Luckily I got her down in one piece.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I'm pretty sure he is experiencing the light left turning tendency from the prop, which few (if any) simulators properly reproduce. We (A2A) get hit with this because as a result of the strangely perfect physics modeled in sims, many sim pilots are accustomed to planes that fly straight, when in reality, planes only fly straight 1% of the time unless properly trimmed in a cruise and everything is perfectly aligned.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

sidfadc
Airman First Class

Post by sidfadc »

Thanks guys, my joystick is calibrated so i know its not hardware related. Last night i finally managed to keep her level by using the rudder trim, it took me about 30 minutes into my flight to do it though! I could just use the AP at cruise but whats the fun in that? Im trying to fly manual everywhere to hone my skills.

Another question about the walkaround the aircraft, how do you do it? I have accessed the hangar but from here can only change the wheels, prop and battery it seems? There is also an option for a complete overhaul.

Once again thanks again.

Cheers
Sid

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Morning Sid,

The hanger is part of the process, and the pre-flight walk around is accessed via shift + 8. For full details the manual for your simulation is under your start menu > all programs > A2A Simulations, or if a win8 user on your start screen when show all apps is selected. As always any questions just post on the forums.

Cheers,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidfadc
Airman First Class

Post by sidfadc »

Thanks Lewis. I'm aware it's Shift + F8 to access the hangar I just couldn't see how to walk around the aircraft? I am parked up at this point and not in the air if that matters?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

no shift + 8 starts the walk around process for you. More details and key listings can be found in the manual. The basics are the shift + 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 will help you get the 2D panels up.

F1,F2,F3 etc are different and if using default key combo's control things like throttle and flaps.

thanks,
Lewis

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

At first I also had an 'unnatural' pull to the left. Speed didn't matter, I had it at low speed (on the ground) and full cruise speed. The problem went away, too. And I can't be a 100% certain, but it may have been that my aileron trim was somehow wrong. It's probably, just in case, a good idea to look through all the key settings, and look for different trims... they may be wrongly offset. Now as far as I know the Cessna 182 doesn't have aileron trim (but please tell me if I'm wrong about that), but that does not mean you can't set it in the sim through hotkeys.

So, center rudder trim, center aileron trim (I think I had to bind a key to that myself) and center controls. I set these to CTRL-Num5, Shift-Num5, I think I set also something to CTRL-Shift-Num5 and then plain Num5 (already has center controls, I think). Just press all of these and hopefully that will correct a possible 'wrong offset' in your sim. =) I hope it helps... at least you can try it out!

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

some addon planes allow the pilot to use the default FSX trim, even if it's not on the aircraft, like 182. I dont know if it's possible on the A2A planes
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Tomas Linnet wrote:some addon planes allow the pilot to use the default FSX trim, even if it's not on the aircraft, like 182. I dont know if it's possible on the A2A planes
Yes, I queried about this a week or two ago. By default, in the aircraft.cfg file, both the Cessna 172 and 182 have default FSX "aileron_trim_effectiveness" set to 1.0 in the aircraft.cfg, so it still has an effect even though it doesn't officially exist on the aircraft modeled (though in reality, Scott has said it can be installed optionally). I've disabled the aileron trim effectiveness for these aircraft by changing that line in the configuration to 0.

sidfadc
Airman First Class

Post by sidfadc »

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have managed to trim the aircraft for straight and level flight now and I'm getting quick too! I just needed to get used to the mechanics of the aircraft and the fact it is completely different to flying the stock Cessna.

I also figured out how to walk around the aircraft last night, I think the mistake I was making previously was leaving the engine running! :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great to hear. And yes the engine running might hurt when you try to check the prop :mrgreen: Another tip is the shift + 2 panel which has a bunch of checklist pages you can go through, handy for all phases of flight.

As always any questions just post on the forums.

thanks and happy flying,
Lewis

tcc0928
Airman Basic

Post by tcc0928 »

1. If using rudder trim for climb and cruise, should I set it to neutral at approaching phase?
2. I know for elevator trim we should control the elevator first then trim, how about rudder trim for take-off? Also rudder input first then trim?
Thanks.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”