auto rudder

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
tcc0928
Airman Basic

auto rudder

Post by tcc0928 »

Hello,
I only use keyboard to control the rudder, should I turn the auto rudder on or off?

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

Re: auto rudder

Post by CessnaSkypilotN7365W »

Well considering a Skylane does not have autorudder my answer would have to be no.
It would be very hard to keep your plane rolling down the centerline during takeoff. When you do your rotation it is going to get exciting very quickly. How fast are YOUR reactions? :lol:

tcc0928
Airman Basic

Post by tcc0928 »

CessnaSkypilotN7365W wrote:Well considering a Skylane does not have autorudder my answer would have to be no.
It would be very hard to keep your plane rolling down the centerline during takeoff. When you do your rotation it is going to get exciting very quickly. How fast are YOUR reactions? :lol:
Yes it's very exciting during rotation. :lol:

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello tcc,

It's really up to you whether you use auto-rudder or not, but if you don't have a hardware rudder axis (such as pedals or a twist joystick) you'll probably find it's much easier to handle most stages off flight with auto-rudder enabled.

However, without true independent control of the rudder, activities such as crosswind landings may be a bit more challenging.

Thanks,
Nick

lowew79
Airman First Class

Post by lowew79 »

I suggest putting rudder pedals on your wish list, i have a twist stick and i find it doesn't work so well, its uncomfortable and difficult to hold rudder and bank at the same time. Until then I'd try out autorudder and not feel bad about it, even with auto rudder don't be too hard on yourself about landings and such, landing without pedals is tough.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”