What GPS do you recommend me?

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
frangarcia
Airman

Post by frangarcia »

I use FSX-STEAM with A2A Cessna 182. I’d like to be able to modify a flight plan as I’m flying, but this isn’t possible with default GPS.

You can for example suppress a waypoint in a flight plan and fly to the next one. You can also use the “Direct-To” option and fly directly to a nearby airport that wasn’t in your flight plan… But you can’t insert a new waypoint in the middle of your actual flight plan, change the order of waypoints and so on.

So that I’m thinking in purchasing a new GPS (I suppose more advanced) from one of the typical developers.

In the A2A Cessna 182 manual, it says that you can install (and integrate) one of these GPS into the airplane panel:

Reality XP: 430
Reality XP: 530
Flight 1: 650
Flight 1: 750
Mindstar: 430
Mindstar: 530

But I don’t know if you can use other GPS developed after the aircraft release (some years ago, by the way). Another interesting option is using a GPS in my tablet (Android), rather than in my main monitor, a little cluttered at the moment.

frangarcia
Airman

Re: What GPS do you recommend me?

Post by frangarcia »

I also asked this question in other forums, and they recommended Flight1 GTN750 to me. It seems that it's excellent, so that I'm going to purchase it.

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

I purchased the Flight 1 GTN 750/650 package and really like it. Use it in all my aircraft.
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Flight 1 GTN 650/750 is the best, in my opinion. All my A2A aircraft use it.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

I own both RXP and F1 - I prefer my RXP units...

Regards,
Scott

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

What are the main differences Scott? I only have the Flight1 version, which I find to be incredible.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Chunk wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 18:49 What are the main differences Scott? I only have the Flight1 version, which I find to be incredible.
Hi Chunk,

Been a while since I installed my F1 products - so I could be a little behind the times on the F1 implementation but I don't think so... I also don't think they're actively improving the F1 GTN products while the RXP units have seen a continual stream of updates and improvements...

I realize purchasing redundant gauges can be expensive - heck my F1 GTN's cost me $130.00 (prior to the combo package price break probably due to competition from RXP - nice to be a monopoly) and now they stagnate - so if you're happy with you F1 Gauges - your cash could probably be better spent... If you're deciding between the two companies on an initial purchase - choosing RXP is a "no brainer"... RXP supports newer versions of the Garmin trainer software - RXP supports a newer AIRAC - RXP has a slick live installer system - RXP has fanatical customer support in an open forum - RXP configs can be changed real time while in the aircraft - RXP support crossfill - RXP doesn't blank VC gauge while using pop-up and there is no performance loss from displaying both as stated by F1 - RXP supports TAWS inhibit - RXP TAWS-A implementation in the GTN takes in account the actual flaps and gear position, which have a dramatic impact on the TAWS algorithm, and the alerts it returns - RXP offers the new Garmin VNAV functionality - RXP has 20 years of experience working with Garmin trainers - RXP just seems to work better and smoother - and - that's all pretty important in my book...

Here's some opinions from others - who've made the switch - I'm not the only one:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5460 ... xp-gtn750/

Regards,
Scott

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

That is an EXTREMELY convincing argument for RXP gauges! Thank you Scott, I think I may go that route after I upgrade to a newer PC.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”